The discovery thread!
Sep 26, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #38,026 of 100,249
I agree on the Spinfit CP240's, they really bring out the best of the Finschi.

Sep 27, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #38,028 of 100,249
@Carlsan have you tried one of your silver cables on the Finschi? Very curious to how that would make them sound.
My silver cables end with balanced 4.4 plugs, which I bought to use with my DX200 amp 8. Unfortunately my amp 8 went bad, so it is being send back to IBasso under warranty. So, no, haven't tried them.
Currently using a really nice copper cable from Impact Audio Cables on etsy. He no longer seems to be taking orders, but for a non-China operation, I thought he made great cables at reasonable prices; of course not as cheap as the Chinese cables.

The copper cable works really well with the Finschi.

Sep 27, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #38,029 of 100,249
Anyone with the DMG tried the removing the damper like I did? Seriously did it and never looked back. If anyone wants more balance to the DMG, I'd do it in a heartbeat. The few tracks where cymbals and hi-hats sound a little off are few and far in-between, but the increased treble resolution is obvious, and it doesn't come at a real cost to sibilance protection (unless you're super duper sensitive to it). Regarding other mods, taping the inner bass vent doesn't do much; my guess is that it's more of a pressure excursion port, rather than one that modifies bass extension. Even with the damper removed, it still doesn't deliver the amount of midrange/treble detail, and more importantly, transparency, that I prefer in a reference level earphone, but for a sub-$150 earphone, I'm very satisfied.

I suspect some people will remain 'disappointed' by the soft texture bass quality and copious mid-bass quantity, but I'm grown to enjoy it. I used to be a stickler for super tight, ultra-textured bass, and the kind of bass rendered by the DMG would not pass the test for me in a higher priced bracket. Bass texture is not clearly etched enough. But I've been using the DMG as general purpose earphone that is suitable for both modern mainstream music and movies, and its coup de grâce is is soft-edged texture, which is well-suited to smoothing out the parts that are obnoxious. If I play music like K-Pop, a genre that habitually employs recording engineers who crank up the EQ compressor to 11, I find the music doesn't grate my ears like it does when I use other IEMs. Bass impact, despite its copious quantity and mid-bass focus, also doesn't piston ram my ears like it does with some other hybrids. God, I hate that kind of bass. It's responsive enough to not sound slow. I don't remember who remarked that the DMG had bloated bass --- I disagree. Something like the Fidue A83 from a few years ago had bloated bass. The DMG has open-sounding bass; vocals and treble cues cut through the bass easily. Keep in mind that I normally listen to ultra-neutral IEMs. My daily driver is the Klipsch X20i with a 90 ohm resistor attached; the resistor adaptor converts the X20i into a bona-fide ER4SR alternative. My reference for detail retrieval remains the UERM. Both these earphones have very tight, highly textured bass. I don't find the DMG's bass murky at all. It does have a quality that is somewhat discordant to the classic BA sound of the upper mids and highs, but doesn't distract. The relatively low volumes at which I listen help in not overemphasizing the bass.

Initially, I remarked that I wasn't sure whether I'd enjoy the DMG a week after first listening to it. After over three weeks (nearly four), I find myself enjoying it even more. Having the damper removed makes it more enjoyable for my tastes, and I've found two sets of tips that give me a good sense of soundstage, adequate sub-bass extension, and good enough isolation. The shape is as comfortable as any IEM that I've tried, on par with the InEar StageDiver series. What are the models that people here are pitting the DMG against these days again? Well, regardless, I think the DMG are an easy recommendation, especially for people who listen to mainstream music.

Sep 27, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #38,030 of 100,249
Anyone with the DMG tried the removing the damper like I did? Seriously did it and never looked back. If anyone wants more balance to the DMG, I'd do it in a heartbeat. The few tracks where cymbals and hi-hats sound a little off are few and far in-between, but the increased treble resolution is obvious, and it doesn't come at a real cost to sibilance protection (unless you're super duper sensitive to it). Regarding other mods, taping the inner bass vent doesn't do much; my guess is that it's more of a pressure excursion port, rather than one that modifies bass extension. Even with the damper removed, it still doesn't deliver the amount of midrange/treble detail, and more importantly, transparency, that I prefer in a reference level earphone, but for a sub-$150 earphone, I'm very satisfied.

I suspect some people will remain 'disappointed' by the soft texture bass quality and copious mid-bass quantity, but I'm grown to enjoy it. I used to be a stickler for super tight, ultra-textured bass, and the kind of bass rendered by the DMG would not pass the test for me in a higher priced bracket. Bass texture is not clearly etched enough. But I've been using the DMG as general purpose earphone that is suitable for both modern mainstream music and movies, and its coup de grâce is is soft-edged texture, which is well-suited to smoothing out the parts that are obnoxious. If I play music like K-Pop, a genre that habitually employs recording engineers who crank up the EQ compressor to 11, I find the music doesn't grate my ears like it does when I use other IEMs. Bass impact, despite its copious quantity and mid-bass focus, also doesn't piston ram my ears like it does with some other hybrids. God, I hate that kind of bass. It's responsive enough to not sound slow. I don't remember who remarked that the DMG had bloated bass --- I disagree. Something like the Fidue A83 from a few years ago had bloated bass. The DMG has open-sounding bass; vocals and treble cues cut through the bass easily. Keep in mind that I normally listen to ultra-neutral IEMs. My daily driver is the Klipsch X20i with a 90 ohm resistor attached; the resistor adaptor converts the X20i into a bona-fide ER4SR alternative. My reference for detail retrieval remains the UERM. Both these earphones have very tight, highly textured bass. I don't find the DMG's bass murky at all. It does have a quality that is somewhat discordant to the classic BA sound of the upper mids and highs, but doesn't distract. The relatively low volumes at which I listen help in not overemphasizing the bass.

Initially, I remarked that I wasn't sure whether I'd enjoy the DMG a week after first listening to it. After over three weeks (nearly four), I find myself enjoying it even more. Having the damper removed makes it more enjoyable for my tastes, and I've found two sets of tips that give me a good sense of soundstage, adequate sub-bass extension, and good enough isolation. The shape is as comfortable as any IEM that I've tried, on par with the InEar StageDiver series. What are the models that people here are pitting the DMG against these days again? Well, regardless, I think the DMG are an easy recommendation, especially for people who listen to mainstream music.
I don't find the treble subdued at all. It's just that the bass often buries it.

Sep 27, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #38,031 of 100,249
I'm thinking of buying BGVP DM6 5BA. Is this a wise choice or is there better for a similar amount?

Sep 27, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #38,033 of 100,249
20180927_183657.jpg
20180927_183429.jpg
Got my dmg today! Yay! Do these need burn in? If so how long? I'm trying different tips, they are sounding bright out the box to me even with gold tips, I will continue experimenting until I get that all important seal. I can tell they have nice build quality and fit nicely but my fiio f9 are lighter and fit better in ear to me. I only wish they came with balanced cables that would have been icing on the cake.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #38,034 of 100,249
Don't know if they need a lot of burn in. I would just let music play through them for a couple of days. See where it goes.

So I have been listening to my Finschis today with Symbio tips without the cores in them. Sounds fantastic. These share some similarities in how they are tuned with Fiios FH5 for certain. The bass to the treble is familiar on these. They have a smoother sound vs the Fiios. Don't have the upper mid bump the Fiios have. I am gonna have to do a real close A/B against the FH5 but these two earphones have close signatures.

Treble that was a bit tame seems to have become more in play with the rest of the sound. Stock tips are a no. I got on order a 4 core pure silver cable for these. These have some very nice potential and thus far these are getting better with more run in and tip changes.

Sep 27, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #38,035 of 100,249
Got my dmg today! Yay! Do these need burn in? If so how long? I'm trying different tips, they are sounding bright out the box to me even with gold tips, I will continue experimenting until I get that all important seal. I can tell they have nice build quality and fit nicely but my fiio f9 are lighter and fit better in ear to me. I only wish they came with balanced cables that would have been icing on the cake.
I think if it sounds bright to you it's either defective or you're not getting a proper seal (more likely).

Sep 27, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #38,036 of 100,249
Don't know if they need a lot of burn in. I would just let music play through them for a couple of days. See where it goes.

So I have been listening to my Finschis today with Symbio tips without the cores in them. Sounds fantastic. These share some similarities in how they are tuned with Fiios FH5 for certain. The bass to the treble is familiar on these. They have a smoother sound vs the Fiios. Don't have the upper mid bump the Fiios have. I am gonna have to do a real close A/B against the FH5 but these two earphones have close signatures.

Treble that was a bit tame seems to have become more in play with the rest of the sound. Stock tips are a no. I got on order a 4 core pure silver cable for these. These have some very nice potential and thus far these are getting better with more run in and tip changes.
I'm using a Norne Audio Therium silver with Final audio tips and that combo really shines top to bottom on the Finschis. Sold my Bravado's and I am very happy with the Finschi mostly because of the mids and treble, both were too subdued on the Bravado. I tried the Ares II on the Finschis but found the Therium more to my liking and the Finschi seem to open up a bit more with time. I don't really believe in burn in I always think that I just got a better seal than when I last listened. Any comparisons with the Finschis and Hifi boy os v3 out there?

Sep 27, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #38,037 of 100,249
I am hearing an improvement since hearing them on open listen. The treble especially has opened up. The bass seems to be a bit more dynamic too. Don't know if it is due to a proper tip or the burn in but I got them on my burn in station again. I can most definitely hear their potential. Cant wait to try a silver cable on them in balanced.

Sep 27, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #38,038 of 100,249
I am hearing an improvement since hearing them on open listen. The treble especially has opened up. The bass seems to be a bit more dynamic too. Don't know if it is due to a proper tip or the burn in but I got them on my burn in station again. I can most definitely hear their potential. Cant wait to try a silver cable on them in balanced.
I am using tithe Finschis on a Sony 300ZX balanced.

Sep 27, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #38,039 of 100,249
Sep 27, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #38,040 of 100,249
So I have been a bit torn on these. I have been burning them in and I do notice better cohesion in the sound signature. I am writing a review on these which I will post. On one hand they have a neutral tuning which is surprising and the emphasis is a bit loaded toward the treble end. Of course I have been trying out different cables and tips and I have now gotten them to be what I hoped these would sound like.

HTB18SpKB5CYBuNkSnaVq6AMsVXae.jpg

So anyone interested in toying around with a neutral signature earphone via cables and tips. These can show you what different cables and tips can do. Since the signature is neutral leaning toward bright. I was able to get them sounding way better using a pure copper cable and Sony hybrid/ MH1C tips. These are definitely sounding much better than the cost to get them. Guys that like their extended treble with a clean neutral presentation. These are surprising. Especially for $23

And I quote.

Yes,The EP35 is surprising, our Japanese buyers love it so much,it's DD is same with ONKYO E700M
0.gif

BTW,EP35,$23 for head-fi friends,hope you can recommend this discount price!

It is rare to get a neutrally detailed earphone for $23 now a days. I was hiding this until I thought they were worth the money. They are most definitely worth the money. You guys can use the head-fier code again I believe on this one. Now the catch.. NiceHCK threw on a SPC cable that makes these brighter than they should be. These require a pure copper cable and a narrow bored tip like the Sony hybrids. In other words. If any of you guys are willing to dink around with cables and tips. These make for good throw around earphones. For the price of a decent dinner plate. You can get an airy sounding neutrally tuned earphone on the cheap.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back