The discovery thread!
Jul 23, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #37,126 of 106,693
@phthora The HiSenior B5+ is in my rotation with the Toneking TK2 (which fits me better) I only have TFZ Exclusive 5 and have never heard the Idun.

Fair enough. Thanks!

Guess I will leave it up to fate: whichever goes on sale first.

Jul 23, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #37,127 of 106,693
Jul 23, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #37,129 of 106,693
All right, @HungryPanda I hereby invoke thee...

I'm staring at three IEMs in my AE cart: Kinera Idun, Hisenior B5+, and Toneking TK2. I am definitely buying the B5+, because it's on sale, and I have the TFZ King Pro in the mail.

I know you're a big fan of at least two of those, so I am asking you directly...

Is the B5+ or the King Pro going to make either of the other two redundant? Knowing what I already have locked in, is the Idun or the TK2 a better choice?

Thanks in advance. I've been driving myself a little nuts with this.

i have the B5+ and the king pro. the short answer is no, it will not be redundant. they have different tuning and characteristics enough that they don't overlap each other. I'm happy with both of them, I'm sure you would too. currently I'm using the B5+ more because it's more of my flavor and it's more non fatiguing for longer listening

Jul 23, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #37,131 of 106,693
i have the B5+ and the king pro. the short answer is no, it will not be redundant. they have different tuning and characteristics enough that they don't overlap each other. I'm happy with both of them, I'm sure you would too. currently I'm using the B5+ more because it's more of my flavor and it's more non fatiguing for longer listening

Good to know. Thanks for the input. There are just so many amazing earphones in the $150ish range, it's hard to narrow it down. I don't hate redundancy in my collection, but it would be annoying to buy basically the same thing twice in a row. The B5+ and the King Pro are en route.

Sadly, I purchased a Macaw GT600S new for $50, then the seller cancelled the deal. Guess he sobered up. lol

Jul 23, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #37,132 of 106,693
Posted this to Facebook but figured I'd drop it here too.

"I'm definitely a fan of the Auglamour brand after having the chance to review most of the lineup, save for the discontinued (I think) F100. Too bad because I got a chance to hear it and it was stellar, esp. for the price. Killer design and ergonomics that were reminiscent of the RT-1 but smaller and better built. It was a gem. I was thrilled when I saw the F200 was on the horizon, ordering one pretty much as soon as it became available.

The F200 is a worthy follow up with a shell that reminds me of an ear bud with a nozzle. Ergonomics are stellar with the nozzle protruding at a logical angle, and at the right length. They're a little on the heavy side, but the weight is distributed intelligently. They certainly did their homework with the F200's ergonomics, more than making up for the slightly awkward R8. The included tips are the same stellar ones that came with the RT-1 too, and suit my ears perfectly. To say the fit is excellent would be an understatement.

Build is typical Auglamour; bullet proof zinc magnesium alloy shells with a kick @$$ design. The cable is reminiscent of the R8's but less sticky. The tiny straight jack is nicely relieved but relief is missing everywhere else. The sheath feels dense enough to make this a mild concern.

The sound is where the F200 really comes into it's own. Warm and silky smooth with punchy bass that can really rumble. Texture and detail are pretty impressive for a budget offering with a warm signature, as is the speed for a 10mm. Guessing that all is likely down to the stiff graphene coating applied to the diaphragm. Those of you who are treble sensitive will love the F200's presentation. Well weighted with solid extension, but zero harshness or sibilance. Despite this, cymbals still show decent shimmer. This has very quickly moved up into my upper echelon of sub 20 USD favorites.

For under 20 bucks, this is an easy recommendation. Full review coming... eventually"

IMG_0602.JPG IMG_0610.JPG IMG_0612.JPG IMG_0614.JPG IMG_0615.JPG IMG_0617.JPG IMG_0619.JPG IMG_0622.JPG IMG_0624.JPG IMG_0626.JPG

Jul 23, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #37,133 of 106,693
Not a new discovery, but I just received my ToneKing Nine Tail/Nine Way. I've had/heard plenty of MusicMaker IEMs over the past couple of years. This thing OOTB is brilliant. @crabdog is the only member to do a review on this thing which is why I wanted it. $115 very well spent. More impressions as play time happens.

Jul 23, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #37,134 of 106,693
Not a new discovery, but I just received my ToneKing Nine Tail/Nine Way. I've had/heard plenty of MusicMaker IEMs over the past couple of years. This thing OOTB is brilliant. @crabdog is the only member to do a review on this thing which is why I wanted it. $115 very well spent. More impressions as play time happens.
I was always intrigued by them and the only thing that held me back was my paranoia regarding fit.

Jul 23, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #37,135 of 106,693
I was always intrigued by them and the only thing that held me back was my paranoia regarding fit.
Yeah the weird design gives that vibe but honestly it fits like a glove. Using Small Wide Symbios. Silver front and rear filters. It's big, smooth, smile inducing, don't want to take em out of your ears, sound.

Jul 24, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #37,136 of 106,693
Yeah the weird design gives that vibe but honestly it fits like a glove. Using Small Wide Symbios. Silver front and rear filters. It's big, smooth, smile inducing, don't want to take em out of your ears, sound.
I've been on the double silver config too. You're so right about not wanting to take them out of your ears, the sound is incredibly engaging but buttery smooth.

Jul 24, 2018 at 4:35 AM Post #37,137 of 106,693
I agree. The first days and weeks after receiving the Ninetail I especially liked the natural tone coming from the dynamic driver.
After a while I compared more to my other inventory and in direct comparision e.g. to BA settings you notice some minors flaws in clarity, detail retrieval or resolution and after all coloration, too.

I mean it all comes down to personal preferences and additionally it's how you get used to what each earphone offers.
The one month I do prefer dynamic driver settings, the other month BA settings. They have all their advantages and disadvantages. I prefer earphones that are able to reproduce the best of both worlds - and I've found this only in pure multiple BA settings so far.

But, I still agree - in the end it is a very good earphone for the price (but I sold it again).

Best DD choices I've heard so far in the pricerange of the Ninetail: Simgot EN700 Pro and Mee Audio Pinnacle P1 (with exceptions)

Jul 24, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #37,139 of 106,693
What you think of the Symbios vs complies and spiral dot?
Comply tends to kill treble a bit and the fact they wear fast is a turn off.

Spirals were my main go to, but lately I've found the Wide Bore Small Symbios fit a lot better. Spirals are supposed to do something to the sound but I never know if its the Dot technology or if its just a seal/Wide Bore thing. Symbios are weird one where sometimes the Small is too Small and sometimes the Medium is too big. I have the Large and never use them. They aren't as soft as Comply foam but you get just as good a seal.

Jul 24, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #37,140 of 106,693
Symbios are weird one where sometimes the Small is too Small and sometimes the Medium is too big.

I get this with all the foam tips I've tried (Crystal Tips, the CA Marshmallow and Comply) :frowning2: I've got a mixed pack of S & M Symbios on order so I'll see if they suit me better.

Someone should do M/S tips.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back