The discovery thread!
Jul 5, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #36,991 of 106,700
That is surprising you cant hear the difference. Oh well I tried.. The difference between them from when I got them to when I sent them was substantial.

There was a huge mid bass bloat when I compared the two. They don't now. Listen to the forward mids compared to that bass. That to me does not sound unnatural. However neutral they are not in fact there is not a single iem on this thread we mention that is neutral well maybe the PX, so I suppose that is what your looking for. Sorry I couldn't help.

Very surprising you cant hear the difference however. Believe me buddy they do not sound exactly the same as when you shipped them.

In fact here is the importance of burn in on the HK6. I just sent my HK6 to our friend DannyBai. He just heard my HK6 vs his a few hours ago. This is what he wrote.

"Your hk6 sounds better then mine, lol. Mine sounds a little muffled in the midrange. Bass is better on yours too."

Bhazards sounds one in the same as my pair. I made sure of it before I sent it back. Dannys only had 100 hours of burn in on his pair. I sent mine to him to compare his to.

In any case. I give up.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #36,992 of 106,700
Onward and upward.
DSC06371.JPG

IT04. Them ear pieces are immaculate. The workmanship is TOPs.
Out of the box. These sound like a much more refined It01. They sound stupendous out of the box.

So at this point. I know for a fact no matter how good the FH5 is. I am gonna keep these. They belong in my collection. Will have some more to say on the IT04 thread.

Worth the price for certain.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 3:44 AM Post #36,994 of 106,700
Onward and upward.

IT04. Them ear pieces are immaculate. The workmanship is TOPs.
Out of the box. These sound like a much more refined It01. They sound stupendous out of the box.

So at this point. I know for a fact no matter how good the FH5 is. I am gonna keep these. They belong in my collection. Will have some more to say on the IT04 thread.

Worth the price for certain.

Would you actually put them above the NiceHCK DZ12 in terms of sound quality? I'm a bit uncertain if I made the right decision by choosing the 14BA from NiceHCK instead of the iBasso. :)

Jul 6, 2018 at 3:46 AM Post #36,995 of 106,700
I got my HK6 back today. They sound exactly the same as when I shipped them out. No change. New sources and all.

I won't be wasting any more time with them. If someone wants to buy them at a discount, i'll offer them up, but be warned, they have far too much upper bass/lower mids to even be considered without massive EQ correction.
hahahahahah omg awkwardddddd

Jul 6, 2018 at 3:47 AM Post #36,996 of 106,700
In your experience don't different people hear the same thing differently? I reckon thats the case here.
Did you show some love to TSMR?
I think the fact hes driving is at the burn in of BA changing sound while actually is the brain getting "burn in to its absolute non-changing sound signature

Jul 6, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #36,997 of 106,700
It's the brain getting used to the sound and different music genres. I've been a victim of it myself, which is why I don't like anything without a solid measurement to give an accurate representation of what's going on. I love that tvs are getting their peak brightness, local dimming, etc measured now, as it is much more informative than going by word of mouth. Audio can benefit in the same manner.

Jul 6, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #36,998 of 106,700
So, while the "burn in" of HK6 continues (to reach the 350 hour mark, that some have suggested), I have gotten the Massdrop plus, and have been using it for the past few days. Initial impressions itself were very very good. They are so deceptively light; however gives off the "cheap" build quality vibe, unlike the much cheaper Magaosi "X3" for instance (or HK6).

In terms of SQ, they are on the warmer side, but still manage to retain control, and attain very good resolution. Soundstage is more on the intimate side, but have good depth. I've still not managed to find the tips with same isolation as I was able to get with X3. Have ordered a different tip size for Spiral Dots, so hopefully it will work well. So far, finding symbio W S tip size to give the best SQ (although not having enough isolation, so maybe losing out a bit on the sub-bass). I'm using this on 3.5 mm SE mode with ES100, (1 ohm or 0.5 ohm OI) currently. The 2.5 mm balanced cables are on the way; however, since it is not very hard to drive, may not have much of a difference in SQ.

Here are few pics of the same:
1.jpg

2.jpg

Jul 7, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #36,999 of 106,700
This thing has some ballz for sound. They are clearly tuned with the narrow bored tips they include with these. Foam tips they included soften the highs a bit too much. Just tried the silicones they threw in there.

Early but these have a much bigger sound than the earphones would indicate. The tear drop design fit extremely comfortable. Included cable is excellent. This time the tips are actually made for the earphones and I can tell they were tuned with the narrow bored silicones they threw in these.

I can see how a former Shure sound engineer tuned these things. The mids are forward as is the bass. The treble takes a slight step back from the mix but its all there. They have zero burn in so I expect them to sound better with some run in.

The bass on these are unexpected. It is large and in charge. Even has decent sub bass. They are impressive for the sub $100 price point. They do show some Shure tuning. They kinda remind me of my old Shure SRH1540.

For mine must be defective because they have a sound frankly poor, very poor. The only thing that is saved is the bass, both mids and highs are a disaster. The Fiio FH1 are infinitely better and cost the same or cheaper.

I will not buy again without listening to comments from colleagues.

Jul 7, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #37,000 of 106,700
Ya I have been burning them in and they are not as good as I was lead to believe. I will reveal much more on them soon but they require a bit of a mod in order to open up the sound. Narrow nozzle designs are limiting imo.

Frankly they sound kinda cheap. Lol.

Jul 7, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #37,002 of 106,700
For mine must be defective because they have a sound frankly poor, very poor. The only thing that is saved is the bass, both mids and highs are a disaster. The Fiio FH1 are infinitely better and cost the same or cheaper.

I will not buy again without listening to comments from colleagues.

If that is the dt300 you are both talking about, shame. I was hoping for a cheaper but still good Westone 3 sort of sound to it. Seems I might have saved £90 or so there :)

Jul 7, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #37,003 of 106,700
They are ok. But they lack treble emphasis sparkle or extension. They are tuned very similar to Shure house sound but lacks refinement. I am not looking for miracles in sound for the $89 but these just dont have it. The sound is decidedly warmer due to the lack of treble but ample bass. Again similar to Shure sound. However that is the only real comparable aspects. The tonality seems a touch off due to the warmth. Some guys might like the warm tonality here but they actually lack clarity due to this aspect. Sounding quite dull actually.

Where they bug me a lot is the lack of upper mids lower mids bite. Guitars, rock and metal just sounds off. Anything with speed forget about it. Music has to be slower and melodic. That don't make the tuning all that versatile.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #37,004 of 106,700
If that is the dt300 you are both talking about, shame. I was hoping for a cheaper but still good Westone 3 sort of sound to it. Seems I might have saved £90 or so there :)

The truth is that it has cost me to write my impressions but I have done it because I do not want anyone to get carried away by a mini hype.
Now I have put them on again and they sound very poor. The media seems canned and distant. They do not have great detail but it seems that there is a peak that causes some wheezing to fall back into treble and have another peak there by 12/13 Khz.

It has been the biggest disappointment I have had in a long time. If they cost € 15 still but close to 100 they are a robbery.

I'm sorry but that's what I think

Jul 7, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #37,005 of 106,700
Sorry about them DT300 Paco. I would sell em off and move on. I have to agree with you there. These aren't doing anything for me either. There are much more compelling earphones at the $100 price range. I would take my Ibasso IT01. Massdrop, meeaudio PX earphones every time over these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back