The discovery thread!
Aug 20, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #30,001 of 102,930
@ayaflo: OPUS1 maybe just the pioneer product for dynamic BA driver technology...and price can be very high for its real performance. 
However, the Dynamic motion DM100 that also on sale in Kakaku is more interesting. It uses the Balanced dynamic driver technology. I tried once and the performance is really beyond its price. 

Aug 20, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #30,002 of 102,930

You tried all the silicone STAR tips and Tru fit foam tips?  I would have expected at least foam tips to do the trick, especially if you go with a large size, squeeze/Insert and let them expand to stay put.  Maybe try some Comply foam tips, 100 size?  Another choice, try Shure tips, you can get different sizes of their silicone olive tips at Sweetwater.com,  like this one: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EASFX1-10M

Tried all the silicone tips that I have and that fit them.  I have never been able to use foam tips, just have not trained myself properly.  Anyway, I have too many phones (maybe not) and any that do not sound really good or offer something unusual for their price is redundant.  If they require too much work to fit/sound good then I am on to something else - like the Granvela&Reg; URBANFUN and soon the Trinity Delta & Hyperion.
All is good :)

YMMV,
r2

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #30,003 of 102,930
Sure, everyone has different ears/preferences. I'd guess you can't really get a good sense of the sound of the Westones (or any iem), if you don't get a decent fit/seal. I've been surprised at how my opinion changes on an iem when/if I finally find the tips that work well.
And, they may not be your cup of onion soup.
I find them a bit like the Senn 650, some "haze" in the mids that clears with better amplification and other upstream gear, detailed, good imaging and GREAT fit/seal. Obviously, I'm not the best person to generalize from-most things that fit everyone well give me fits, so my ears aren't typical. They do isolate great in my ears.
and, YMMV always applies with these things!

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #30,004 of 102,930
I will answer your question about if you can eq the same sound on the SHP9500 vs doing the mod. @ Slowpickr..  Yes and no. I suppose you can eq a bit more bass to have more presence but I don't know if you can eq better imaging. The reason why the imaging is hindered a bit on the stock configuration or stock padding without the mod is because the drivers actually end up sitting on the ears vs them being properly placed or set just above the ears. You won't know that it is being hindered until you do the mod.

The mod has a similar effect to earphone tips on earphones and how they change sound. Narrow tips usually enhance bass and treble which effects the mids in different ways. Wider tips usually give better imagery and space for the sound which is what I prefer. Spiral Dots and UE tips for example. The foam mod has a similar effect as wide bore tips for earphones, it gives you proper spacing to hear the cans for how they were truly meant to sound. It does make a marked difference. Sound is more precise, to my ears better balanced and the best part which is the imagery. Imagery is exceptional on the cheap phones that can. But one does not notice this until the mod.

Aug 20, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #30,005 of 102,930
Thanks DS. I have noticed that the inner part of the ear cups touch my ears. Looks like I'm going to do the mod when I get a chance. It's too bad though that the pads aren't replaceable. However, for $50 I can easily overlook that.

Aug 20, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #30,006 of 102,930
I can give you some instructions through PM. Will be worth your effort. Will do it later today. It is about the easiest mod you will ever do. Easier than putting on some tips on earphones.  The key however is the actual thickness and the material used for the cut out. Again I will message you with the details later.

Aug 20, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #30,007 of 102,930
  I can give you some instructions through PM. Will be worth your effort. Will do it later today. It is about the easiest mod you will ever do. Easier than putting on some tips on earphones.  The key however is the actual thickness and the material used for the cut out. Again I will message you with the details later.

PM sent.  Thanks!!!

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #30,009 of 102,930
For everyone who has the D2000J: how is the fit? The only IEM I have ever tried that fit me without any effort was the FXD80. I could literally just shove it in my ear and it would have a great seal every time. That is one of my gripes with the FX850. I have to play with it for a few minutes to get a proper seal.

Aug 21, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #30,010 of 102,930
For everyone who has the D2000J: how is the fit? The only IEM I have ever tried that fit me without any effort was the FXD80. I could literally just shove it in my ear and it would have a great seal every time. That is one of my gripes with the FX850. I have to play with it for a few minutes to get a proper seal.

Fit is perfect!
smily_headphones1.gif

And with included fins (removable) - they get wedged in secure:

Aug 21, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #30,011 of 102,930

What the!? 7 drivers: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B013E89IQG

I contacted the seller about reviewing the headphone and they have some work to do before they can sell them or let them be reviewed. I see it has now been changed to unavailable on Amazon.

It just became available on amazon. Hope this is a real thing...

Aug 21, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #30,012 of 102,930
I'd try them, the build looks solid, the price is very reasonable it looks like.
I look forward to a pioneering cat giving them a listen!

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #30,013 of 102,930

It just became available on amazon. Hope this is a real thing...

LOL I clicked on the link for this and while I was reading I saw this: http://www.amazon.com/KZ-ATE-Balanced-Earphones-Headphone/dp/B00YOVI6UW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_23_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=1CMCV9HCEPJYYXVHQQ5N which I then proceeded to buy. I figure $20CAD to try an unknown hybrid IEM might be fun :). Who knows, it might be a diamond in the rough.

If anyone has already tried this one, post some comments for me to read.

As for the headphone originally discussed. I do like the looks of it and the design intrigues me. But aside from getting a loaner pair from the manufacturer to test and review I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on it. My budget just says no.

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #30,015 of 102,930
LOL I clicked on the link for this and while I was reading I saw this: http://www.amazon.com/KZ-ATE-Balanced-Earphones-Headphone/dp/B00YOVI6UW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_23_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=1CMCV9HCEPJYYXVHQQ5N which I then proceeded to buy. I figure $20CAD to try an unknown hybrid IEM might be fun :). Who knows, it might be a diamond in the rough.

If anyone has already tried this one, post some comments for me to read.

As for the headphone originally discussed. I do like the looks of it and the design intrigues me. But aside from getting a loaner pair from the manufacturer to test and review I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on it. My budget just says no.

It looks like bad, deceiving Chinese translation to Amazon to me, Dweaver.

The KZ ATE is a single dynamic. However, for the $13 I got mine for I think it is a fantastic iem. It makes for a great gym iem or beater pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back