The discovery thread!
Jul 10, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #2,611 of 106,829
Quote:
Yeah, it's a lot better already after 3 or 4 hours. I couldn't use these headphones for more than 15 minutes earlier, now I could probably use them for hours and be alright. They're still a bit edgy sounding, but I'm sure they'll get better in the next few days.

Let them sit for awhile. The sound really starts to come alive closer to 100 hours. Highs get tamer and the bass tightens. The mids come out a bit too, though they are still a little recessed. Very happy with my fx101s, though now I'm deciding if I want the FX40s too or something even better like the fxd80 or ckm500.

Jul 10, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #2,612 of 106,829
Quote:
The CKS77 and FXD80 covers the full spectrum for me, with the CKM500 in between these two should the need arise.
beyersmile.png

Thats exactly what the ckm500 feel like, with the fx101 being behind them. Hence why i am considering the cks77 and the fx40... might have to just get em all

Jul 10, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #2,613 of 106,829
I ordered the HA-FX40 late last week, and it arrived today. I'm going to burn it in for a few hundred hours per the suggestions from this thread. I listened to it only briefly enough to get an idea of how it sounded and like others I find it to be very harsh fresh out of the box. Tonight I also ordered the HA-FX1X and HA-FX101. My GR07 should be here this week too, as a direct compliment to the RE262! Maybe one of the cheaper pairs will become my "beater buds"... who knows?  All together I spend $55 on the 3 pairs, and can't wait until they all burn in properly. What would you guys suggest for the burn in times for each of the three? 200 hours for the FX40 is what I have gathered on those, but what about the FX101 and the FX1X?

Jul 10, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #2,615 of 106,829
OK, so one last opinion for the FX101 vs FX40 for electronic, dance, rap, hip-hop, R&B, house, dubstep and the odd rock/pop song? E10s are falling apart even more and I am about to pull the trigger. Think I will get my E10s replaced under warranty and just sell them when they turn up.

Jul 10, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #2,616 of 106,829
Quote:
OK, so one last opinion for the FX101 vs FX40 for electronic, dance, rap, hip-hop, R&B, house, dubstep and the odd rock/pop song? E10s are falling apart even more and I am about to pull the trigger. Think I will get my E10s replaced under warranty and just sell them when they turn up.

Get one of each. Your wide musical taste will be covered.

Jul 10, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #2,617 of 106,829
Quote:

Get one of each. Your wide musical taste will be covered.

Hmm, maybe, although I'm not the sort of person to change IEMs depending on what I'm listening to (Mostly because I don't listen to jazz, classical etc.)

EDIT: Took the plunge and ordered the blue FX-101s from Amazon. Think I'll get my E10s replaced and sell them on for a profit (I'll get a BNIB replacement and I paid £18 for my E10s when they first released)

Jul 10, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #2,618 of 106,829
Those saying the FX101 has better bass than SHE3580.  It makes me wonder, at what point should one stop looking for more bass from the headphones' stock response and look to EQ instead?  I mean the SHE3580 has been measured to have some serious bass and subbass boost already, and hardly even rolls off at 20Hz.  Is is possible to make phones with even more subbass emphasis or would it just be more midbass?  Even if the FR is shaped to give even more bass compared to the rest of the spectrum, does that really mean the drivers can handle any more bass before clipping?

Here's a demo clip I made by boosting the bass in software (the rest of the FR has also been shaped according to my usual curve for the SHE3580 but the star of the show here is the bass):

Anyone who listens to these with the SHE3580 and wants more bass should have his head examined for concussion.
tongue.gif
I never even finished listening to the whole song with this setting, it's just beyond ridiculous.  LOL!  I wonder if it's even safe to listen to this with the FX101 or the CKS77...

(Remember to select 720p video for the highest sound quality...)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 10, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #2,619 of 106,829
Quote:
Those saying the FX101 has better bass than SHE3580.  It makes me wonder, at what point should one stop looking for more bass from the headphones' stock response and look to EQ instead?  I mean the SHE3580 has been measured to have some serious bass and subbass boost already, and hardly even rolls off at 20Hz.  Is is possible to make phones with even more subbass emphasis or would it just be more midbass?  Even if the FR is shaped to give even more bass compared to the rest of the spectrum, does that really mean the drivers can handle any more bass before clipping?

Here's a demo clip I made by boosting the bass in software (the rest of the FR has also been shaped according to my usual curve for the SHE3580 but the star of the show here is the bass):

Anyone who listens to these with the SHE3580 and wants more bass should have his head examined for concussion.
tongue.gif
I never even finished listening to the whole song with this setting, it's just beyond ridiculous.  LOL!  I wonder if it's even safe to listen to this with the FX101 or the CKS77...

OMG that sounds wonderful, I can't recall feeling that much bass before without an amp and some loud volume.  Listened to it with the fx1x BTW :)

Jul 10, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #2,620 of 106,829
Quote:

tongue.gif

Just listened to that with my FX101's. One word to describe that bass - BOOM! 
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #2,621 of 106,829
I received both the FX40s and FX101s in the mail a couple days ago.
FX101s seemed nice out of the box but I still need to burn them in.
But the FX40s.. at first I was pretty amazed about the clarity up until maybe 40 minutes and I definitely had to yank them out of my head.
The highs really hurt my ears :frowning2:. I've been running them through pink noise for 15 hours so far but they still hurt :frowning2:

Jul 10, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #2,622 of 106,829
Carbon nanotubes require beat driven burn in more than colored noise. There have been a few guys that just tried pink noise with not too good of results. Get yourself a Drum and Bass compilation disc and blast them tunes on them drivers at aggressive volume levels. Don't worry those driver can handle the louder volumes. 70-80% max volume on players.. Try this method it works great both these earphones will sound great after 100 hours or so of this. Throw in an extra 50 hours for good measure.

Jul 10, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #2,623 of 106,829
Have at 'em!! Give those carbon nanotubes a beat-down.

Jul 10, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #2,624 of 106,829
DSNuts, how loud are we talking? Hearing damage levels? 
Edit: Also, which do you recommend more? The Monoprice 8320 or the Philips 3580? I read several pages and just now realized that I had been reading different numerical values.... 

Jul 10, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #2,625 of 106,829
Because all players have different sound levels. What I do is. I first listen to them, crank up the volume to fairly loud to your ears. It should come to about 70%ish of max volume on most players.  Then take them out of your ears. Proceed to crank volume a half a notch more or 75% of max volume.. That should do it. Yes you should be able to hear the music play through the drivers and if you plan on doing this all night long. Just throw them in a drawer or better yet just cover the earphones with a jacket or blanket..

In hind sight I love the MP8320 much as it has a sound that is uncommon among cheapos but the size of the earphones make them not too practical. Then you have to find the right tip for it as the stock tips are junk. The SHE3580 has a great sound right out of the box with no fit issues as they are small. I would get the SHE3580..

If you ever need to get cables or order anything from Monoprice however. Why not try a MP8320.If your willing to try different tips and have normal to large ears they should fit fine.. Still one of the best earphones for Rock on this planet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back