The discovery thread!
May 15, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #24,497 of 106,546
Yup I always thought my SHE9700 was a nice upgrade over the SHE3580 even thought they are older. I don't know how much of a sound change they made to the SHE9710 but if it sounds anything like the old SHE9700 those have some nice deep bass with a good balance in sound for being so bassy for the money. A little forgotten gem..

May 15, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #24,498 of 106,546
I would have added one of those SHE9710 earphones to my recent Amazon.co.jp order if they had the black one in stock. Instead I added some Panasonic RP-HJE150 to my order for $7 just out of curiosity. Seems like a model exclusive to Japan, and if it doesn't sound any good at least I'll have another set of tips to play around with.

May 15, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #24,500 of 106,546
  I would have added one of those SHE9710 earphones to my recent Amazon.co.jp order if they had the black one in stock. Instead I added some Panasonic RP-HJE150 to my order for $7 just out of curiosity. Seems like a model exclusive to Japan, and if it doesn't sound any good at least I'll have another set of tips to play around with.

I think they have the HJE150 here in Canada. Pretty sure our local Shopper's Drug Mart has them...they look extremely familiar. I'll have to swing by and take a sneak peek tomorrow :D

May 15, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #24,501 of 106,546
  Glad your digging on them Dr blue. The Narmoo S1s are a solid upgrade on the older R1Ms for certain. I think guys that want to try something completely new with dual dynamic drivers. These have enough technicality and sound for our friends here on the discovery thread and all others on headfi. I am encouraged with Narmoos direction.

The S1s aren't the most refined but they are more satisfactory than I would like to admit. Especially considering their price.  I honestly believe Narmoo will continue to bring out better and better phones with ever new release of their phones. They match up with the Geek Out amazingly well and sound great on every dap I have tried them on. To be honest I have no idea if they continue to change as my pair has less than 100 hours on them. So it will be up to the early adapters to find out if they continue to tighten up and shine even more so.

Yes indeed! I keep listening to these Narmoo S1s while I'm working at my computer, and i find myself closing my eyes and getting absorbed in the music
like i do with much higher end phones....up to about 60 hours burn-in-play and they keep getting better...im pleasantly surprised...Traveling Wilbery's for
example rocks out, vocals and instruments have proper place in soundstage on both cd and dvd of music videos of the Wilberys, and I forget to get work done...
get "high" from the music...isnt that great!  I agree with you DS that they "aren't the most refined"  but they do a lot REALLY WELL, not a lens into the music like
the Doppios, not as silky as the Tenores, not quite as analogue as the ON-1s but as they say in the dating world "i wouldn't throw em out of bed."....
Definitely a keeper and a discovery recommendation to head-fiefs seeking a new sound at a modest price.  I was so encouraged by my experience with them
i wrote Narmoo a thank you note for creating this sound at this price!!! (ps i paid for mine, no free audition sample here).  Sometimes the whole are just more than than the parts...

May 15, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #24,502 of 106,546
Hey Discoverers!  Im co producing (for the 12th time) our own desert wilderness music festival! join us to have too much fun june 7th!
its in New Mexico, about an hour NW of Albuquerque or S of Santa Fe..

we have some major new mexico bands playing great great music all night, and world class DJs
from Colorado who do shamanic trance music, all to benefit a great wilderness site that our family
is preserving in a land trust for future generations....a super professional sound system is being
used, and there will be lots of jamn' round bonfires, and wildness...pm me if you want more details
or arrangements on how to join us....a musical reference experience for sure....

May 15, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #24,503 of 106,546
Will Walter White be there? 
beerchug.gif

May 15, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #24,504 of 106,546
SURE....WALTER is ol friend of ours...his funeral was attended by about 200 live people at a ceremony here  till  they threw everyone out...walter wanders the land as does various other desert ghosts and luminaries, terrence mcKenna, etc.  but walter changed his evil ways since becoming transcendent, he serves organic chai and pancakes now...health food....thanks for asking!!! cause inquiring minds want to know....see 3sidedwhole.com or our FACEBOOK
SPACE OASIS pages for more info......rumors of hendrix, lennon, elvis, harrison, etc etc showing up are being confirmed right now....and from the western edge of the rio puerco wildness you can see about 100 miles into volcanos, mesas, and depending on the light, you might see any of the above out there in the desert....after all its a SPACE OASIS...

May 15, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #24,505 of 106,546
My IM 50s just arrived from CD Japan.  a tumultuous entry, as my heeler dog  Chaco nipped the mailwomans ankles as she handed me
the package...luckily she wasn't hurt, and the package didn't fly at Chaco...
Out of the box they really sound promising.  love that ATH house sound....new Mayall A SPECIAL LIFE blues album sounds listeniable
immediately. have to work on tips to get a better fit..  btw, John sounds fabulous for recording a new blues album at age 80...
switching over to burned in Narmoo S! sound is more rounded and graceful (of course sixty hours of burn in helps)  but  Narmoo's are
definitely in same league, at 1/3 less the price≥≥.  harmonica is particularly well done...
can't wait to hear burned in ATH sound however...some say the IM50s are better sounding than the IM70s at half the price....

still seeing  ATH CKW1000 anniversary edition woodies for sale on ebay at ridiculous prices (150$)  compared to original overinflated 1K price...
i wrote to one vendor who couldn't verify them as authentic but said he would refund if not...not very confidence building about them..
i guess technology progress has left those in the dust anyway....still temping IF they were authentic.....

May 15, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #24,506 of 106,546
  SURE....WALTER is ol friend of ours...his funeral was attended by about 200 live people at a ceremony here  till  they threw everyone out...walter wanders the land as does various other desert ghosts and luminaries, terrence mcKenna, etc.  but walter changed his evil ways since becoming transcendent, he serves organic chai and pancakes now...health food....thanks for asking!!! cause inquiring minds want to know....see 3sidedwhole.com or our FACEBOOK
SPACE OASIS pages for more info......rumors of hendrix, lennon, elvis, harrison, etc etc showing up are being confirmed right now....and from the western edge of the rio puerco wildness you can see about 100 miles into volcanos, mesas, and depending on the light, you might see any of the above out there in the desert....after all its a SPACE OASIS...

beerchug.gif

May 15, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #24,507 of 106,546
You know, I think the Porta Pros are the best investment I've made in this hobby so far. Yes, I've got better headphones and they're fantastic, but audiophilia is a double-edged sword. Nice, lossless FLAC files? Oh hells yes, those higher-end headphones are just grand. But low-quality audio on online videos, for example, is just repugnant. The higher-end headphones become impractical. 

I have a friend who's sort of a producer-come-sound-engineer-hobbyist, has heard some of the best speakers out there, calls himself an audio snob. Told him about these Porta Pros - they're not the second coming of or anything, but just so appealing. In true audiophilia buzzkill style, he wasn't even remotely interested. Cheaper headphone with a coloured sound signature? "I want to hear the music as the artist/sound engineer intended it."  Yaaaawn. Alpha males of audiophilia? This chimp's got better things to do. 

Anyway. I know this is just nonsense babbletalk now. Point is, Porta Pros make me real happy. Everyone should have a pair as excellent beater 'phones.

May 15, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #24,508 of 106,546
  You know, I think the Porta Pros are the best investment I've made in this hobby so far. Yes, I've got better headphones and they're fantastic, but audiophilia is a double-edged sword. Nice, lossless FLAC files? Oh hells yes, those higher-end headphones are just grand. But low-quality audio on online videos, for example, is just repugnant. The higher-end headphones become impractical. 

I have a friend who's sort of a producer-come-sound-engineer-hobbyist, has heard some of the best speakers out there, calls himself an audio snob. Told him about these Porta Pros - they're not the second coming of or anything, but just so appealing. In true audiophilia buzzkill style, he wasn't even remotely interested. Cheaper headphone with a coloured sound signature? "I want to hear the music as the artist/sound engineer intended it."  Yaaaawn. Alpha males of audiophilia? This chimp's got better things to do. 

Anyway. I know this is just nonsense babbletalk now. Point is, Porta Pros make me real happy. Everyone should have a pair as excellent beater 'phones.

Yup. Those and the AKG K403's. Trying to figure out which ones I like most. I think the K403's, but they are both fantastic.

May 15, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #24,510 of 106,546
Tip on the Narmoo S1s, with my NOS DAC and Vali as a preamp/Cambridge 12 as amp, they have an really excellent bass in them
IF you get them positioned rightly at the beginning of the ear camel.
too deep and the bass goes away, not enough in and the bass gets muddy...at the right point BAM the soundstage clarifies and
instruments have separation and the bass has clear impact., including sub bass such as synths, etc. a real treat  manuel tuning...
this is with stock tip...more explorations with them should be useful with different tips and sources...they continue to surprise me..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back