The discovery thread!
Jan 25, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #20,401 of 106,647
I've got the IM70 on order, hopefully come sometime next week. I have the Tenores, though I have to pry them away from my 15 year old daughter (her Meelectronic A-151s gave up the ghost)...so, I may be able to listen to both when the AT arrives.

Cable note...those who don't believe cables make a difference...I have Senn 650's, always thought they were a bit polite, the Senn "haze" that is described. Ordered a nice silver cable for them as a replacement, came today. Haven't had a chance to listen much, but my quick, 1st impression is WOW!!! Sounds like a whole new animal! Not polite or reticent in any way. I may look into better cables still (it seemed nuts to spend almost as much on replacement cables as the original headphones cost, but I'm beginning to see that it may make sense).

I know, I'll be hearing from the snake oil crowd, but that's how I hear it (preliminary, of course)

Just sayin'...

yah they do.  i got the cards upgrade cables to the 650s and it made them sing.  use them for reference headphone monitor in my recording studio.
Quick note, then off to work, not taking back the initial comment on the cable for the Senn 650's, definitely sound different than the stock, but not sure I'm completely happy with all the differences. On listening some more last night, I still heard more immediacy, a less laid back presentation. I did think I may be losing some detail, though. Again, didn't do the A-B thing, on my list (which is getting long), but report in when I've listened some more.

The thing you need to look for on cables is resistance and material. If a cable uses pure OFC, there is usually no need to swap, unless it has a resistance difference over what you would be using. Changing the resistance will change the sound signature, and not always for the better.

If you want to change sound, change the headphone :)

I know that is what many think, but I know I hear differences in cables on high end equipment, sometimes subtle, sometimes not so subtle, no reason this shouldn't apply to headphones (probably doesn't pay to get into a long cable discussion here, though, been there, done that, can't resolve it in print, anyway).

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #20,402 of 106,647
I've got the IM70 on order, hopefully come sometime next week. I have the Tenores, though I have to pry them away from my 15 year old daughter (her Meelectronic A-151s gave up the ghost)...so, I may be able to listen to both when the AT arrives.

Cable note...those who don't believe cables make a difference...I have Senn 650's, always thought they were a bit polite, the Senn "haze" that is described. Ordered a nice silver cable for them as a replacement, came today. Haven't had a chance to listen much, but my quick, 1st impression is WOW!!! Sounds like a whole new animal! Not polite or reticent in any way. I may look into better cables still (it seemed nuts to spend almost as much on replacement cables as the original headphones cost, but I'm beginning to see that it may make sense).

I know, I'll be hearing from the snake oil crowd, but that's how I hear it (preliminary, of course)

Just sayin'...

yah they do.  i got the cards upgrade cables to the 650s and it made them sing.  use them for reference headphone monitor in my recording studio.

Have to look into the Cardas...

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #20,404 of 106,647

I wouldn't mind trying them on my bassos. I'm sure it has been posted already, but would you mind providing the link? Thanks!

Edit: I see you said this:

If you could still provide a link to them, that would be great. Then I would know I am getting the "Mackem approved" versions :)

Here we go

I do like the sound of the Pistons but the wider body is no contest comfort wise compared to the Carbo Bassos. There's some days that I quite literally wear my Bassos for 8+ hours straight; blocks out background noise when I'm trying to get stuff done, even if I'm not necessarily listening to music.

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #20,405 of 106,647
  I'm just messing with you.

Thank you for this info, this is pretty good actually, I don't mind paying at least $100 to make it sound like $300. I'll look into this site and if I have the money by then, I'll pull the trigger on those old dacs and get Benjamin's help to give me a kickass dac.

Thanks drblue. 
beerchug.gif

the correct web site is actually www.mojo-audio.com    tell benjamin drblue recommended you to him. he is an audio genius at the capacitor and circuit level

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #20,406 of 106,647

I am going to assume that the ebay.com ones that BenF linked to here are the same as your ebay.co.uk ones (even though the packaging is different). Thanks.

I do like the sound of the Pistons but the wider body is no contest comfort wise compared to the Carbo Bassos. There's some days that I quite literally wear my Bassos for 8+ hours straight; blocks out background noise when I'm trying to get stuff done, even if I'm not necessarily listening to music.

I understand. I do the same thing with my VSD1LE's - they double as ear plugs while sleeping (after the trance has shut off)

Jan 25, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #20,408 of 106,647
  good deal?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica-ATH-CK100PRO-Triple-Balanced-Armature-/321305827253?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item4acf51d7b5

AWESOME DEAL, go for it, but I'd be weary of the seller...

Amazon japan sometimes has this IEM at this price point as well, but with tenso, it'll be an additional $20. It is more reliable however.

I've seen it go up to $286 in price, but I didn't pull the trigger as I was going to get the im-02s.

Jan 25, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #20,409 of 106,647

hearing this song from the beatles with the ath-re700s is heavenly, sounds just as beautiful as eric's edwin hawkins singers link.

The background singers sound so veloptuious with these headphones, they sound like angels that do not belong on earth! I can easily tell where they're positioned, and to top that, the tone of everyone's voices are easy to discern, while the bass and the highs do their job backing this song.

The soundstage is pretty open for a closed headphone. The space between each singer and instruments is phenomenal, usually it's hard for me to hear a seperation between singers and instruments, but these do a good job of it.

Here's a graphical interpretation of the sound space.

{  } <-- is how far apart some of my headphones sound.
{    } <-- the re700s.... that's pretty amazing to me to be honest, it's not double, but it is close to being double the space I hear. 

I can tell how many singers there  are in the same song, with those backups for example, I hear three different pitches in the background, and I usually though it was more or less..

I can also tell how distant the singers are, and how close they are, these headphones do a great job in giving a 3d experience, it does have the depth and the width to compete against some headphones. Its speed, decay in instruments, and attack is wonderful to say the least. 

These re700s rock! 
L3000.gif

Jan 25, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #20,410 of 106,647
  good deal?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica-ATH-CK100PRO-Triple-Balanced-Armature-/321305827253?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item4acf51d7b5

Sorry but I now hate you for bringing these, and by extension these http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-audio-technica-ATH-EW9-BROWN-Portable-Headphones-adjustable-wooden-clip-on-/221355960684?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item3389d7e96c to my attention.

Why does Audio-Technica have to make such beautiful headphones so expensive 
frown.gif

Jan 25, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #20,411 of 106,647
  Sorry but I now hate you for bringing these, and by extension these http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-audio-technica-ATH-EW9-BROWN-Portable-Headphones-adjustable-wooden-clip-on-/221355960684?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item3389d7e96c to my attention.

Why does Audio-Technica have to make such beautiful headphones so expensive 
frown.gif

you can get the thinksound on1 for 50 more dollars, and most likely, beats the SQ of those ath you linked. AT isn't the only one that makes beautiful expensive ones.

Not proving you wrong or anything, just giving you another option. 

If you want a cheaper one, the re700s do the job well, for $150.

edit: Saoshyant is right

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-EW9-Lightweight-Clip-Headphones/product-reviews/B000CMTV3I/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

Jan 25, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #20,414 of 106,647
  you can get the thinksound on1 for 50 more dollars, and most likely, beats the SQ of those ath you linked. AT isn't the only one that makes beautiful expensive ones.

Not proving you wrong or anything, just giving you another option. 

If you want a cheaper one, the re700s do the job well, for $150.

I've looked into the EW9's before and I know the SQ isn't the best. They just happen to be a pair I would buy for pure vanity purposes if I could afford to throw that much away on pure looks lol 
wink_face.gif
. That being said I am kinda disappointed the IM series doesn't hold a candle to the CK10/100 design-wise 
frown.gif

Jan 25, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #20,415 of 106,647
Anyone in the US looking for IM70's I have decided, after much anguish, to part with mine. Hit up the signature. I'll probably be spending time with my TH-7BB & Ol' Trusty VSD1 until I find a new IEM. I'm thinking the AX-35 looks nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back