The discovery thread!
Jan 25, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #20,386 of 106,418

Quote:

You have to search. It is there but pretty far back in this thread by now.

Knowing the amount of people that would rather just let someone tell them, I'll dig it up.

FROM DSNUTS

"Well in a bit of a surprise I was thinking based on the graph of the MA750 that my X3s are what they would like but Danny and ericp are both right the MA750s are not as neutral as the S2. The S2 has the wider stage over the MA750 but the MA750 seems to have the a touch more depth in the sounds. I think both are comparable in imagery. Both have a very satisfactory sound. The isolation of the MA750 brings the sound a bit more forward in the presentation over the S2..I am going to get used to the MA750 for a while and see how they turn out with some burn in..Both are on a very similar level so far as sound goes. I think guys wanting more isolation the MA750s are definitely a compelling product. The benefit of the S2 is their semi openness which gives the earphones their stage and overall sound is more neutral over the MA750 but so far the MA750 to my ears are a bit fuller forward sounding earphone. The highs do extend a bit more on the S2 but the highs on the MA750 are not bad at all and not nearly as rolled off as the graph might indicate. They sound great.

I can already tell the MA750 is not going to scale as much as the S2 to amping simply because of their closed nature. These will have less head room as far as using more power to drive them goes. But for guys wanting a strong comfy great sounding unit that is going to be very satisfactory on the go the MA750 is way more impressive over the Onkyo IE-HF300 out of the box..

The S2 pairs extremely well with my X3 and the MA750 actually sounds better with the DX50."

ERICS POST

"So fellas (and ladies if there are any on here), I've spent most of the evening A/Bing and tip rolling the S2, 750i, and DN-1K. I've been listening to all three earphones on the iBasso DK50, which is phenomenal! Definitely a lighter and wider soundstage than the X3 that looks slicker and more high-end (touch screen). I haven't had any UI issues and it performs like a champ with a beautiful sound, but I still love the thick sound of the X3. Both complement each other (as Dsnuts stated - I can't remember if DannyBai has both). Now back to the earphones.

First, for the first time ever (and after much tip rolling), I discovered that two of the earphones perform best with their stock tips when using the DX50. Those phones are the 750i and the DN-1K. The DN-1K takes a very wide bore tip (wider than the UE900 and TF10, stopping just short of the M200 in width). the S2 continues to perform well with the UE900 tips for my ears. 

Okay, so the S2 sucked big time when I put the DN-1K and 750i tips on it, I heard virtually no bass. But when I threw on the UE900, wow did it sing! The wide soundstage and depth and clarity we come to know with the S2. But when comparing it to the 750i (with stock large silicon tips), the RHA proved to be fuller sounding with deeper bass and a more refined sound. I've been using the UE900 tips on the 750i, but since I've gotten a good 20 hours burn-in them, the bass is a bit too much with the UE900 tips. While not having the same wide soundstage as the S2, the 750i sounds airier, fuller, and more detailed than the S2 with its stock tips. And now we come to the Dunu DN-1000.

The sound is quickly developing and telling the story of what it will sound compared to the other IEMs. Before I give my verdict, let me just state something that ClieOS mentioned on the DN-1K thread. He said he got word recently from DUNU that the the DN-1K has been re-tuned for a new international version that's being shipped out. ClieOS stated that he only understood that the newer version suppose to less brighter, and that I probably have the Chinese version if I order from ebay. The news almost pissed me off before hearing my DN-1K, because that sounded like to me that the Dunu would have the irritating high spike that kind of turned me off from the H-200 (although I loved its sound otherwise). So I did buy my earphone from a dealer in China on ebay, but I bought it from the authorized ebay dealer I was directed to from the Dunu website. So I really don't know if this is the original Chinese version or the retuned version (took about two and half weeks to get to me and the tracking number didn't move for a good week and a half, so I'm thinking I might have the newer version). Then again, except for some specs on the side and the words in the front, most of the box is in Chinese. So there's no telling which version I have. 

So, now that I got all of that out of the way, I can definitely say the Dunu DK-1K (dynamic driver and dual BA) does not have that awful spike in the high mids/low highs  like the H-200. How else is it different from the H-200? Well it has a much more fuller 3-D sound than the H-200; a better selection - and quality - of tips than the T-Peos; and those interesting sound rings I mentioned in a earlier post so that you can adjust the sound from bass heavy to a more neutral sound. I settled on the blue rings (shy of neutral with nice bass presence but now too over powering, yet you feel the bass is there). The bass doesn't obscure the mids. Another reason I'm thinking that I have newer version is because the highs don't sound too bright to me. I can't stand piercing bright highs, so would know if the highs were like that. The highs here are extended and are there, but just shy of of being too bright for me. Let me go back some. the H-200 has the DN-1k beat, of course, with the different cable options. I have no idea how the new all-silver cable developed by T-Peos affects the sound of the H-200, but I have to imagine it does. Most silver cables I've heard seem to thicken the sound. But buying that cable also pushes the H-200 from a $250 earphone to a $350 earphone (something to be mindful as the DN-1K is only $185). 

Okay, so back to the comparison to the S2 and 750i. Yes, the DK-1K is the clear winner in sound! The sound is spacious in a fuller more forward way than the S2 or 750i (or H-200). It's improving quickly with burn-in. Now, I only wish I could hear the K3003 to see if they sound anything alike. I will probably go to a high-end audio store in the city and take an audition soon. The DK50 and DN-1K really complement each other. I'll probably compare all three with the X3 tomorrow. 

Oh, one other thing, the DK50 makes the Cardas EM8513 a more mid-focused sounding IEM. A highly detailed  spacious mid-focus IEM with the UE900 tips. It's nice to listen to it that way, but I think the more bassy sound that I get out of the earphone with the X3 (still highly detailed with either DAP).  That's it for now. Happy listening."

Trying to find Danny's, if he did post a comparison.

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #20,387 of 106,418
Quick note, then off to work, not taking back the initial comment on the cable for the Senn 650's, definitely sound different than the stock, but not sure I'm completely happy with all the differences. On listening some more last night, I still heard more immediacy, a less laid back presentation. I did think I may be losing some detail, though. Again, didn't do the A-B thing, on my list (which is getting long), but report in when I've listened some more.

The thing you need to look for on cables is resistance and material. If a cable uses pure OFC, there is usually no need to swap, unless it has a resistance difference over what you would be using. Changing the resistance will change the sound signature, and not always for the better.

If you want to change sound, change the headphone :)

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #20,388 of 106,418
  At the 60 hours point the Pistons sound quite awesome, especially vocals. Bass is great too, but the mids do take the cake.
Definitely a step above SHE3590, probably equal or superior to Carbo Bassos.

Too bad I will probably never listen to them after the burn-in - the wide barrel makes my ears hurt.

Never get the M200, as it is even wider.

I can listen comfortably with the Pistons, but the M200 were too big for me.

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #20,389 of 106,418
  Got some legit Sony hybrid tips and they make the seal and comfort of the Bassos even better for me. Man, I just can't part with these; Zero Audio really know what they are doing. Anyone that doesn't have a pair of the Carbo Basso or Carbo Tenore really should try them out. Value for money is amazing.

I wouldn't mind trying them on my bassos. I'm sure it has been posted already, but would you mind providing the link? Thanks!

Edit: I see you said this:

I bought them from the USA via eBay, only way I could find them for a reasonable price unfortunately.

If you could still provide a link to them, that would be great. Then I would know I am getting the "Mackem approved" versions :)

Jan 25, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #20,392 of 106,418
I've got the IM70 on order, hopefully come sometime next week. I have the Tenores, though I have to pry them away from my 15 year old daughter (her Meelectronic A-151s gave up the ghost)...so, I may be able to listen to both when the AT arrives.

Cable note...those who don't believe cables make a difference...I have Senn 650's, always thought they were a bit polite, the Senn "haze" that is described. Ordered a nice silver cable for them as a replacement, came today. Haven't had a chance to listen much, but my quick, 1st impression is WOW!!! Sounds like a whole new animal! Not polite or reticent in any way. I may look into better cables still (it seemed nuts to spend almost as much on replacement cables as the original headphones cost, but I'm beginning to see that it may make sense).
I know, I'll be hearing from the snake oil crowd, but that's how I hear it (preliminary, of course)
Just sayin'...

yah they do.  i got the cards upgrade cables to the 650s and it made them sing.  use them for reference headphone monitor in my recording studio.

Jan 25, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #20,393 of 106,418
  +1. It's really a shame that I couldn't get a good fit and seal with the M200. When I somehow managed to get a decent seal, the SQ on these phones were just fantastic.

You're not kidding! For me, with the comply tx500 tips (and the resultant seal), the M200's make an incredible transformation.

Jan 25, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #20,394 of 106,418
Jan 25, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #20,396 of 106,418

Never heard the R-50s. Don't know if Danny or Ericp ever had them..To be honest I am new to the dual ba realm but not so new to Zero Audio tuning. The Doppios are clearly my most detailed iem. They astonish every time I hear them..Wish I could send everyone a pair just for being on the thread.

That gives me an idea.,next time Nuforce gives up a DAC for me to review I will request that all my friends on the Discovery thread also will need one as well. That is how I roll!. Hows that!.

great idea DS!  i love hearing how dacs differ.  i have a friend who is a dad designer and have had fun listening to how swapping out different capacitors changes the sound. his NOS dacs with the old Phillps 1543 chip
are a different sound that the up sampling chips most dac designers use, much more analogue sounding, use the chips is series with no algorrhthm  up sampling. see mojoaudio.com  

Jan 25, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #20,397 of 106,418
  great idea DS!  i love hearing how dacs differ.  i have a friend who is a dad designer and have had fun listening to how swapping out different capacitors changes the sound. his NOS dacs with the old Phillps 1543 chip
are a different sound that the up sampling chips most dac designers use, much more analogue sounding, use the chips is series with no algorrhthm  up sampling. see mojoaudio.com  

+1

can your friend help me design a dad for a friend of mine? 
tongue.gif

Jan 25, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #20,398 of 106,418
  +1

can your friend help me design a dad for a friend of mine? 
tongue.gif

if he wants a dac not a dad!  contact Benjamin at Mojoaudio.com his dacs though are expensive, 1500 and up
you can get a NOS old school type dac on ebay for about 53.00 to hear a different kind of sound, just search
ebay for NOS dac w 1543 chip. they sound more analogue and relaxed and Benjamin can upgrade them to be
worthy of about a 300$ dac for about half that

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #20,400 of 106,418
  if he wants a dac not a dad!  contact Benjamin at Mojoaudio.com his dacs though are expensive, 1500 and up
you can get a NOS old school type dac on ebay for about 53.00 to hear a different kind of sound, just search
ebay for NOS dac w 1543 chip. they sound more analogue and relaxed and Benjamin can upgrade them to be
worthy of about a 300$ dac for about half that

I'm just messing with you.

Thank you for this info, this is pretty good actually, I don't mind paying at least $100 to make it sound like $300. I'll look into this site and if I have the money by then, I'll pull the trigger on those old dacs and get Benjamin's help to give me a kickass dac.

Thanks drblue. 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back