The discovery thread!
Dec 6, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #17,327 of 106,603
I've got the bug to try some higher priced spread, on/over and iem's. Resisted during all the Black Friday sales, but the bug hasn't gone away yet (I'm sure there are some meds for that...). See people selling Heir 4ai and 5's, also Audeze (things that had been on decent sale), anyone had any experience on these?

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #17,328 of 106,603
  Curious to hear more when you've listened a bit-congrats. Waiting for the Geek stuff in January, tubes have always been appealing, though. Enjoy!!
beerchug.gif

yah man, I'm waiting for Geek also. any word on when they will be shipped?
after 24 hours the VALI continues to improve, with increased speed, definition and bass cohesiveness.
listening to Yamaha 200s through them is marvelous experience, i forgot where sound was coming from
and starting dreaming and dancing my feet.....for the money seems like a no brainer..."is there an icon for that??"
should be one....listening to psytrance the VALI conveys the rhythm, bass and power with uncanny musically
im dazzled, the Vali is sounding like equipment costing 1k or more IMHO...

Dec 6, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #17,329 of 106,603
Cool about the Vali. I am getting the impression that it is somewhat dac dependent and doesn't sound great off of cheaper dacs (such as my hifimediy usb dac). Which dac are you using?

Dec 6, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #17,330 of 106,603
  Holy crap, 794 posts since I last viewed this thread. Anything else the new FOTM? Sent the H1s back to Sony for a refund so still on the lookout for an upgrade from the Basso

If you're looking for an upgrade at the same price, try the Monster Gratitude.

Others that seem to get a lot of high praise are RHA MA750, KEF M200, ATH IM70

Dec 6, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #17,331 of 106,603
The Objective2 sounds great with my HiFimeDIY DAC. Even with their (very) different design choices, it seems that the ~2 volt output from a somewhat-quality 9023 chipset would give the Vali solid signal.

I'm not sure why a DAC would change the sound quality of an amp unless... A) the output voltage is too low for proper gain B) the DAC is not neutral, so it fixes or changes sonic characteristics of the amp C) the DAC cannot reproduce sound from at least 15Hz-25,000kHz.

I'm pretty sure the HiFimeDIY is not entirely neutral due to its oft berated "spec sheet" implementation, but the deviations are likely minute.

EDIT: Yep, the gain of the Vali is 4x. A consumer grade 2 volt signal can only be driven to ~3x gain before clipping, if I remember right. You'll want a source that puts out roughly 2.5 volts for the Vali. 2.4 would probably be fine too - I'm not using exact figures.

Dec 6, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #17,332 of 106,603
If any of you have heard the Gratitude, BA200, and GR07 MK2, can you share your comparison?

Dec 6, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #17,333 of 106,603
I got notice that my Moxpads got in today but I haven't had the opportunity to pick them up yet.

The Molex, the Moe, and a couple more to come in, hopefully all before the big holiday sweep.

Looking forward to seeing some thoughts on the Moxpads. I've already seen the Asian thread but more thoughts the better. I wonder if they truly are giant killers.

Dec 6, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #17,334 of 106,603
If any of you have heard the Gratitude, BA200, and GR07 MK2, can you share your comparison?

Gratitude's are similar in sound to the GR07 BE. They've got a warm tone that is neutralish but they do have some bass influence. I haven't had the opportunity to listen to the BA200.

Dec 6, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #17,337 of 106,603

+1. II like the GR07BE more than the gratitudes, both are really good. 

Does this mean that both of you would also prefer the GR07 MK2 to the gratitude?

Dec 6, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #17,338 of 106,603
Dec 6, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #17,339 of 106,603

+1. II like the GR07BE more than the gratitudes, both are really good. 

Does this mean that both of you would also prefer the GR07 MK2 to the gratitude?

Sadly, I've only heard the BE, but I would think that the MK2 and the Gratitude's would be different beasts all together. IIRC the VSD1S is suppose to be more like the MK2. Which means it will be more mid forward with some nice sparkly highs. While the Gratitude's are almost a warm balance with a slight bass emphasis. They're extremely thick and can easily fill a song. They have a wide sound stage but I think the imagining on them isn't nearly as good as I let on to begin with. They're brilliant headphones for the price and I think they would even be worth it in the $100-$150 category. Out of most of the headphones I've heard they're more similar to the VSDLE & Vsonic GR07BE. I actually prefer a slightly colder sound. Not to the point where it doesn't have warmth, but the Gratitude's are colored. Actually I think if you were looking for a high-end upgrade to the Gratitude's sound than the way Dsnut described the EM5813 would be a similar sound signature but three or four levels above the Gratitude's; though also eight times the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back