The discovery thread!
Dec 4, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #17,266 of 106,628
  My favorites so far are these.

KZ-A1: Subwoofer bass for $15. Clearer than most booming in ears, but not as clear as...

Moe SS-01: Clarity is awesome, subbass is well extended and EQ's well. If you are very sensitive to treble, there's a bump in the 4k region that is a little harsh that can be cut. $60. Was practically unknown up until a few weeks ago, and seems to best the JVC FXT90 it is based off of. Starting to impress more and more people.

Tiinlab T114: Bass monsters, U or somewhat V shaped, yet much clearer than just about any other big bass phone I've heard. Looking at their technology and background, the company looks to have been around a while in other areas of audio. $60, very unknown. www.tiinlab.com

Ostry KC06: Titanium shell, titanium boosted treble sound. Vocals are near breathtaking, but the treble boost hurts bass a bit. 110+db sensitivity. Really crisp if you like boosted mid/highs. Complements the Tiinlab well when I don't want a dance club in my ear. Also $60, also unknown. www.ostry.com.cn

Moxpad X3: almost matches the $60 sets here, for $23, and is more balanced than all of them... I think. Only 30 min in on these. Only knock is the cord, which is a bit microphonic. Fits my ears like a glove though.
www.moxpad.com

One of the coolest things about trying all these chinese brands, is that they are incredibly hard to find outside of China. I am probably the only person in the US with several of these. I like the unique and rare aspect of it all.

Unlike what most people think of chinese made stuff, a lot of it is actually very, very good, and the value can be outstanding, since you aren't paying for a middleman or marketing department. You just have to know where to look.

following the hype story:

mine have reached the 20-30 hrs, and WHAT a change. first thing is "Hello Highs!" second, "OH, you have NICE VOCALS" yep, highs are much more present, still no peak fortunately. but today i had to lower the volume a bit as the Whole sound start to take an agressive turn! Vocals have better texture now and more detail. 
Moe told me to give them 50-100 hrs. so 100 will be 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #17,270 of 106,628
@ ericp - How does the IM70 compare to the MA750?

Haven't done a head-to-head comparison yet, but the IM70 is airier than the MA750 with wider notes across and up and down. The IM70 sounds more balanced in sound. The bass may be just a little thicker in the MA750 (but that's not true is you're using Monster hybrids tips), but the mids sound way more open in the IM70. There is also more sparkle and extension in the IM70's highs. So overall, I would say there is more clarity and details in the IM70 over the MA750. MA750 is still a good sounding earphone, but a bit warmer and darker compared to the IM70's sound.

And sf, I can answer one question regarding the IM70 and ASG-2. Both are 3-D in sound. I do think the ASG-2 has a level of deepness, however, that's not there in the IM70. Not way far ahead, but the ASG-2 will probably win there.

The IM70, even with it's great bass, is a mid-focused IEM. It's aiming at being neutral, but the mids just jump quite forward compared to the bass and highs (which are clearly there and can be heard). This is what the R1 should have sounded like if it was more refined in some ways. And IM70 is probably what the R3 will sound like after some kinks have been worked out. Horns, piano, keyboards, and vocals really shine with the IM70. And there is some of that unique layered sound that you get when dual-dynamic drivers are tuned properly. One thing that really strikes me with the IM70 is separation of instruments. It's not necessarily the best imaging I've heard in an earphone (although that's not bad), but separation and air or space around instruments far surpass the price of the IEM. And with its good clarity out of the box, I still feel there's more to come. I can hear some changes today already. I'm really curious about what type of dynamic drivers are these. Timbre is excellent!

Dec 4, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #17,272 of 106,628
Got the Moxpad X3 in today after a long shipping delay. They are much better than I expected for $23.

How long did it take for yours to arrive? I've been waiting for mine about a month now......

Dec 4, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #17,273 of 106,628
@ericp, those IM70's sounds like a must have!

Can't wait for them to be available from one of the good eBay sellers from Hong Kong.

Dec 4, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #17,275 of 106,628
China Post just put in stricter shipping rules, so it caused a lot of delays.

Check the tracking number on usps.com.  It should start with RBXXXXXXXCN

Yes I know, according to tracking it left China November 13'th. It normally only takes 10-14 days after leaving China before it reach Norway........

Dec 4, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #17,276 of 106,628
Good to see at least one Moxpad has come in. They'll hopefully be here by Friday so hopefully it'll pan out (not as taken with the M200 as with the others on here but did appreciate the bass)

And yes, the wait was excruciating this time around. Having family ship back Taobao stuff would have been even faster.

Also buckled and grabbed a couple of those Molex dynamics.

Dec 4, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #17,277 of 106,628
You talkin bout the S'Next FAD clone phones? Every time I see Molex I'm thinking of these:

320px-Molex_female_connector.jpg

Dec 4, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #17,279 of 106,628
Eh... I dunno. Those MOLEX look like something I'd find in a box of Peanut Butter Crunch circa 1994. The customizable eartips look suspiciously FAD-like. Reminds me of the FAD 1601 tips that came with James' intercontinental FAD care package. Maybe this just lends further credence to the FAD=audiophile jewelry brouhaha :l

Oh, and that Molex connector is female dammit, I can't help it durrdurrhurrdurr

Dec 4, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #17,280 of 106,628
Can't handle dead fish, motorcycles, jewelry, brou, and now peanut butter? You allergic to paper as well?

They might be (the tips)- 
 I used them on Hoomia earphones before; they had an identical version of the 1350M1/M2 back in the day...

And for your information they look like something out of a Kinder's Surprise chocolate egg. Get with the times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back