The discovery thread!
Oct 9, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #15,196 of 106,530
I'd second the AT 1K, with the caveat that they need a good source, maybe extra power to drive, and fit for some may be an issue

Oct 9, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #15,197 of 106,530
the C3 is a marvelous dap, especiqially for the $100 price on ebay.  also well made and gorgeous
the sq is what is most amazing. different than the x1 and maybe clearer.  but the software sucks
and must be constatly renavigated to play what you want.  but all in all worth the trouble and 
a keeper....

Thanks, may think about these, waiting to see how things go on the A & K...

Oct 9, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #15,199 of 106,530
  It's still not quite clear. Hmm.

Front or back of the cups? Of the tubes?

You need to look in this area.

does the driver sit on the facing side here or on the other side of the fibreglass pink?

Oct 9, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #15,200 of 106,530
The notch is on the front so its front to back

Oct 9, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #15,201 of 106,530
Eric i Need Help choosing my new iem, im deciding between the m200, dn1k , and the r3 . Can you please do an in depth comparison.
,Thank you
smily_headphones1.gif
I have the s2 and x1 and i need a detailed iem with amazing bass texture and huuuge airy soundstage.
Which of the 3 fits the bill. Thanks again
smily_headphones1.gif

Unfortunately I'm so busy right now, mochill, that I will not have time to do any in-depth comparisons (I haven't even had time to listen to the R3 but once and I have to seen it on its way by the end of the week).

So if you want great bass and super refinement in sound>>> M-200

If you want a great wide soundstage, deep penetrating bass (actually probably more than the M-200 but not the same quality, but not too far behind), and that wonderful hybrid earphone sound >>>>> DN-1000. Really a beautiful sound IEM as it burns in more ...

Again I haven't heard the R3 enough, but from what I've heard and seen, it needs more development. Very good start. though.

Oct 9, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #15,203 of 106,530
Seems like dn1k then, dn1k vs m200 is soundstage and midrange, vocal plz .which is better
smily_headphones1.gif

I've already done it dude. Check back a few pages here or look on the DN-1K site. Do a search of my posts.

Oct 9, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #15,204 of 106,530
I never thought I would be interested in an over-$1K custom, but that JH Audio Roxanne (12 drivers each side, special four-pin connection, solid carbon fiber shell - not faceplate, and adjustable bass) has me thinking about saving some duckets. Amost $2K though with the solid carbon fiber body.

Oct 9, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #15,205 of 106,530
OK, once again not a "discovery" in the sense that it is a brand new product, but just picked up the Pioneer HDJ-2000 after seeing a post in the Deals Thread (on Sale Best Buy, $140, about half price), listened in store, really liked them in the short listen through the stores listening station. Will give it some play at home, write some more, but had nice, open sound (for closed phones), good detail, and really comfortable (and I often find comfort the biggest issue with over ear phones). More later...

Oct 9, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #15,206 of 106,530
  Unfortunately I'm so busy right now, mochill, that I will not have time to do any in-depth comparisons (I haven't even had time to listen to the R3 but once and I have to seen it on its way by the end of the week).

So if you want great bass and super refinement in sound>>> M-200

If you want a great wide soundstage, deep penetrating bass (actually probably more than the M-200 but not the same quality, but not too far behind), and that wonderful hybrid earphone sound >>>>> DN-1000. Really a beautiful sound IEM as it burns in more ...

Again I haven't heard the R3 enough, but from what I've heard and seen, it needs more development. Very good start. though.

I think Dsnuts said that the ma750i and the m-200 are on the same level. Do you not feel the same?

Oct 9, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #15,207 of 106,530
Did some listening to the Pioneers...Pioneer doesn't get much respect in Audiophile quarters, wouldn't think twice about them myself but read about the sale, looked at the (small number of) Head-Fi reviews, seemed to have made a good impression on the few that heard them. So far, no burn in, out of the box...nice clear mids, good detail (but not the sort that jumps out, have to listen for it, and it's there), good highs but not tizzy, bass good, tuneful, maybe slightly flabby but carries rhythm, stage not wide, maybe slightly beyond ears (but typical for closed phones, from what I understand). As I see it, you can get a great headphone discovery that hits way above its price point, or you can get a great deal on headphones selling for much less than their original price point. I seem to go for the latter mostly.
Have the MA750i, put them down for a bit, still need to play with tips to get them just right, listen some more soon. Don't have the m-200, though. MA750i, from my initial impressions, is a nice, open sounding iem...more later 

Oct 9, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #15,208 of 106,530
Those pioneers sound like a good deal there Doc! That's the problem with this hobby... there are new awesome discoveries that provide great "bang for buck", and then there's gear that has been out for a while for which the prices get lowered, and they become great "bang for buck" items. That's when they ALL become hard to resist! And you know you're really in trouble when you start getting into awesome 35 year old headphones! (Damn you nick n! :) 
beerchug.gif

Oct 9, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #15,209 of 106,530
True dat...

Oct 9, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #15,210 of 106,530
Pioneer sound is old school. Been around for a long time. One of the best Dj cans in the world is the HDJ2000..Those used to sell for around $300 plus. So that is a deal for them. They should be very comparable to the M100s in sound and build. I owned the little brother the HDJ500.. The phones are nothing too special but had some serious bass for on ear headphones.. Trance was crazy on them cans.. That deal at Best buy is indeed a great deal. I kinda want to try out the newer HDJ-1500 myself. Good looking cans.

@Kzombie. I don't think the MA750 are quite at the level of the M200..They have way better ergonomics and usability but sound wise the M200 and that big housing is a nice higher end sound. The MA750 however for the cost is excellent. I have been using them non stop since I got them. These are gonna last in my stable of phones..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back