The discovery thread!
Jun 25, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #36,859 of 99,978
Hello I'm new here, more familiar with earbuds but now i'm looking for a decent IEM, :)
I am interested in something lean, more mid centric than v shaped with a natural tone in the 200/300USD range
so far I haven't been that lucky, I have the bgvp DS1 v2, which I don't like much, too harsh on the treble and the tone is off, sub bass is elevated at the cost of bass and mids, I can't see what kind of music it would fit. The VE duke I like the tone very much but the treble is fatiguing and I wish the bass was more extended.
ill be using nuansa P1 with it, a powerful little dap, eventually using an amp. Something "hard" to drive could fit the bill.
Any suggestion would be really appreciated :)

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #36,861 of 99,978
Hello I'm new here, more familiar with earbuds but now i'm looking for a decent IEM, :)
I am interested in something lean, more mid centric than v shaped with a natural tone in the 200/300USD range
so far I haven't been that lucky, I have the bgvp DS1 v2, which I don't like much, too harsh on the treble and the tone is off, sub bass is elevated at the cost of bass and mids, I can't see what kind of music it would fit. The VE duke I like the tone very much but the treble is fatiguing and I wish the bass was more extended.
ill be using nuansa P1 with it, a powerful little dap, eventually using an amp. Something "hard" to drive could fit the bill.
Any suggestion would be really appreciated :)

ADV GT3 just came out and sounds like it would fit the bill quite well. Just getting you one in your location might be tough esp. this early but you could contact them to ask about a more local availability.

Oriveti New Primacy also is one to look into as well.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #36,862 of 99,978
Thanks, what's the average shipping time for you?
It depends who I buy from but this delivery was the fastest ever I bought them on the 19th June and they arrived today the 25th June. I ordered a set of earbuds from Penon on the 16th June and they arrived on 23rd June

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #36,863 of 99,978
ADV GT3 just came out and sounds like it would fit the bill quite well. Just getting you one in your location might be tough esp. this early but you could contact them to ask about a more local availability.

Oriveti New Primacy also is one to look into as well.
Thank you, ADV GT3 isquite interesting, I will wait for more feedback about those but they ship to europe
I am a bit confused about oriveti new primacy because some say it's bright and sibilant and others warm and smooth

Jun 25, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #36,864 of 99,978
DSC06367.JPG

A tale of 2 HK6. Well this is a surprise. So it seems there is merit to some of the guys complaints about overly bloated mid bass. I got @bhazard to send me his HK6. And what you know his pair clearly sounds like a bass first iem.

I tested his and my pair by using 2 of the exact same cables. Both 8 core SPC and both connected to the same source. Going from one to the other. My pair sounds great like it always has. I bet these guys were thinking I was tripping when I stated sound balancing is superb. And for a full forward sound signature they are. However not on Bhazards. His pair clearly has more mid bass than my pair. There is no question. It is way more boosted and I don't know if this is a QC issue or if my pair just had way more use time than his.

All I know is my pair sounds proper. His pair does not. I am gonna see if my burn in tracks help tame the beast here and if not these are going back to NiceHCK.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #36,865 of 99,978

A tale of 2 HK6. Well this is a surprise. So it seems there is merit to some of the guys complaints about overly bloated mid bass. I got @bhazard to send me his HK6. And what you know his pair clearly sounds like a bass first iem.

I tested his and my pair by using 2 of the exact same cables. Both 8 core SPC and both connected to the same source. Going from one to the other. My pair sounds great like it always has. I bet these guys were thinking I was tripping when I stated sound balancing is superb. And for a full forward sound signature they are. However not on Bhazards. His pair clearly has more mid bass than my pair. There is no question. It is way more boosted and I don't know if this is a QC issue or if my pair just had way more use time than his.

All I know is my pair sounds proper. His pair does not. I am gonna see if my burn in tracks help tame the beast here and if not these are going back to NiceHCK.
PM me your address, if you want I will send mine to you so you can have a 3rd to compare. Just don't get them mixed up :D

Jun 25, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #36,866 of 99,978
I am certain your pair is good. If your mid bass stand up more so than the rest of the sound there is a good chance your pair is like Bhazards. But mine has no issue. My pair the mid bass is even with the lower mids. I have no issue on my pair. Bhazards in my guestimation has at least 2-3db more mid bass. That is too much on a forward sounding earphone already.

Ya last thing I need is to get everyone sending me their HK6s. lol. But now I know what he is talking about. There is a good chance he might have gotten a bad pair. Again I will see what my burn in tracks do for his HK6. If at the end of the week his pair does not sound like mine. These are going back.

Jun 25, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #36,868 of 99,978
We will get to the bottom of this. Cant be having guys get earphones with different sound. One of the things I warned Jim about.

Lol. You guys must have thought I was out of my mind. Oh man I am glad you sent me your pair. It is clearly different. It is like the bass BAs are out of whack or something. I just threw your pair on my burn in tracks that that mid bass is crazy. It is borderline old school beats. Lol.

I am leaning more toward bad QC as even on my pair on open listen I was clearly hearing a more balanced sound vs whats on your pair. Will figure this out for certain.

Jun 25, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #36,869 of 99,978
...My pair the mid bass is even with the lower mids. I have no issue on my pair. Bhazards in my guestimation has at least 2-3db more mid bass. That is too much on a forward sounding earphone already.

2-3dB isn't even close, it's more like 7-8dB:
upload_2018-6-26_6-12-57.png

Ironically, the raw measurement Jim has provided matches mine under 1kHz - so he considers the hugely boosted bass to be the norm for HK6:
upload_2018-6-26_6-23-6.png

Would love to see measurements of a "good" HK6.

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-26_6-6-8.png
    upload_2018-6-26_6-6-8.png
    60.5 KB · Views: 0
  • upload_2018-6-26_6-10-50.png
    upload_2018-6-26_6-10-50.png
    86.1 KB · Views: 0
  • upload_2018-6-26_6-14-20.png
    upload_2018-6-26_6-14-20.png
    48.2 KB · Views: 0
  • upload_2018-6-26_6-22-12.png
    upload_2018-6-26_6-22-12.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #36,870 of 99,978

My HK6 also have an excessive amount of mid-bass that gives me actual headaches. It makes my Ostry KC09 seem tame... My pair has well over 350 hours of burn in and I’m using pretty good sources too, so I’m thinking it has to be a QC issue if yours sound so good. I’m wondering what Jim will do to alleviate this... $220 is a lot to spend on a possibly defective IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back