The discovery thread!
Aug 2, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #37,186 of 100,289
Any Chinese reviews for the DZ-12 and DZ-14? I'm hoping to Google Translate some reviews so I can an idea of what their impressions are.
Cannot find em on Taobao or anything (honestly don't know which search terms to use either).

I am the only person on this planet that owns a DZ12. Lol. They sound great and I do enjoy them but they take 2nd place to my IT04. Spend less and get a higher end sounding earphone in the IT04. More drivers don't mean better sound in this case. DZ12 has a big bold forward large signature and has one of the largest sound stages for earphones I have ever heard but the IT04 has better treble, sound more refined and are better balanced with even better bass. DZ12 for a no named product is actually worth the price to get a pair however I would be lying if I said they are superior over the IT04.

If you find the more multi BA earphones on the nets. Look into the 18BA earphone that should be the mother of most BAs per housing on another site on aliexpress. From what little information I have seen about the mystery OEM manufacturer that makes these multi BA earphones this 18BA earphone seems to be made by the same folks as the NiceHCK phones.

Aug 3, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #37,187 of 100,289
I've heard of the IMR R1. not too impressed on the sound though. maybe just not my cup of tea

Aug 4, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #37,190 of 100,289
I am the only person on this planet that owns a DZ12. Lol. They sound great and I do enjoy them but they take 2nd place to my IT04. Spend less and get a higher end sounding earphone in the IT04. More drivers don't mean better sound in this case. DZ12 has a big bold forward large signature and has one of the largest sound stages for earphones I have ever heard but the IT04 has better treble, sound more refined and are better balanced with even better bass. DZ12 for a no named product is actually worth the price to get a pair however I would be lying if I said they are superior over the IT04.

If you find the more multi BA earphones on the nets. Look into the 18BA earphone that should be the mother of most BAs per housing on another site on aliexpress. From what little information I have seen about the mystery OEM manufacturer that makes these multi BA earphones this 18BA earphone seems to be made by the same folks as the NiceHCK phones.

there's the CTZ42 for usd1.8 or so from taobao, if you want more BAs, lol. As the name implies, its 21BA per side.

TB2DFLVxkOWBuNjSsppXXXPgpXa_!!47846225.jpg

Aug 4, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #37,193 of 100,289
So I just realized I have 4 Sonin BAs in my DZ12. Lol. I was told by Jim that they were Knowles. He doesn't even know what drivers are in these things. I took some magnifying glasses and was taking a good look at the drivers in this thing. I see the Sonin symbol on 2 of the dual BA drivers. The rest of them are not labeled it seems. Could be Knowles or Chinese BAs. Much like this pic here.

HTB1j7LrRFXXXXaHaXXXq6xXFXXXU.jpg

Aug 4, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #37,194 of 100,289
there's the CTZ42 for usd1.8 or so from taobao, if you want more BAs, lol. As the name implies, its 21BA per side.

TB2DFLVxkOWBuNjSsppXXXPgpXa_!!47846225.jpg

Lol. These have to be heavy in the ears not to mention your gonna have to have some dumbo ears to have these stuffed in them. 21BAs are over the top. I have to admit as crazy as this thing looks. It does beg the question how exactly does a 21 BA earphone sound like?. I would imagine these would be a nightmare to tune correct.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #37,195 of 100,289
So I just realized I have 4 Sonin BAs in my DZ12. Lol. I was told by Jim that they were Knowles. He doesn't even know what drivers are in these things. I took some magnifying glasses and was taking a good look at the drivers in this thing. I see the Sonin symbol on 2 of the dual BA drivers. The rest of them are not labeled it seems. Could be Knowles or Chinese BAs. Much like this pic here.

HTB1j7LrRFXXXXaHaXXXq6xXFXXXU.jpg
It's not really surprising that Jim doesn't know which BA's are in all the different OEM IEMs he sells. Having Sonion drivers shouldn't really be a bad thing though. I believe some of the Trinity IEMs used Sonion drivers.

Aug 4, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #37,196 of 100,289
This reinforces the fact that he is just a middleman for these IEMs he sells on his site. These seem to be no different than what the "other" vendors sell. They look the same, have same configurations, same specs, even wording descriptions are the same.

Something new for me. I am gonna get my HD58x from massdrop today.
UbUHmV3QPiZTK3nHpAHJ_361A2108.jpg

It is dangerous reading the thread for these. I figured I got nothing to loose by checking them out. So much craziness about how these sound. I am looking forward to hearing these. Will let you all know how they sound.

Aug 4, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #37,197 of 100,289
This reinforces the fact that he is just a middleman for these IEMs he sells on his site. These seem to be no different than what the "other" vendors sell. They look the same, have same configurations, same specs, even wording descriptions are the same.

Something new for me. I am gonna get my HD58x from massdrop today.
UbUHmV3QPiZTK3nHpAHJ_361A2108.jpg

It is dangerous reading the thread for these. I figured I got nothing to loose by checking them out. So much craziness about how these sound. I am looking forward to hearing these. Will let you all know how they sound.
Just got these the other day! As my first open-back headphone, I love them a lot. They’re so full sounding and complete, as well as being decently easy to drive (as far as I’m aware). The Shanling M0 drives them adequately, I think, and they sound pretty good through the balanced output on my ES100.

Aug 4, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #37,198 of 100,289
People on that thread are comparing these to much higher end Sennheisers and other higher end cans. For the money I think they will be a good one will see very soon. I have seen hype on threads but that thread is another level. Lol. Cant wait to give em a go.
Last Sennheiser can I owned was the HD630VB. Was ok but 2 things that bothered me about them. The sound was good but that variable bass in theory should have worked out better. Turn that bass up and it sounds almost disjointed from bass to the mids. The lean dry sound didn't do them much justice either. Then there was the fit. They were comfy but they look like your wearing large cans on your head. Much more so than other headphones. They had to go.

These on the other hand look like the HD6 series and supposedly the sound is better than the cost. I am all about it. Gonna go pick em up now actually. Will be back with some thoughts.

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #37,199 of 100,289
I started listening to them on my N5ii on high gain and it has plenty of power for the HD58x then I threw them on my black label. They don't sound like open cans to me more like a good vended closed or semi open. Good dynamics and has a non fatiguing sound. I like em already much more than my old HD630VBs. Decent bass punch with good mid range presence. Sub bass has surprising rumble. Lol. Highs are a bit delicate sounding out of the box. I am hoping the highs open up a bit with some burn in. They have a warm tilt to tonality. Thus far I am impressed.

I have to say this was $150 well worthy of purchase. Sound imaging is starting to take shape a bit more since open listen. Will give them dynamics a good spanking and see where these go. Now to get a good balanced cable.

Lucky I was able to nab the last 2.5mm balanced cable here on the bay.
18-2_5-580-hb-1.jpg

I have been eyeing this cable ever since purchase.

These cables are very nice. My ATH-IM03 balanced cable is made out of the same stuff in 16 cores.

Don't know if any of you guys were looking into getting some cans. But I can't think of a better one at this price. Lol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back