The Deals Thread (CLOSED! See the last post for the link to the new thread)
Jan 20, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #1,861 of 9,815

Quote:
I'd like to add my experience to this. I bought an open box Denon D5000 last week from Electronic-expo. The shipment came today and from what I see, the headphones look new. Everything in the box appears to have never been opened. The packaging and twist ties look like they came from the factory. In other words, I don't think anyone unwrapped anything to at least take a listen to the headphones.

Got my "Open Box" D2000s today, and honestly, I can't tell if the box was ever opened.  There's no damage, and no seals on the box to break or remove.  The packaging looks mint and untouched - the plastic film on the metal parts of the headband is still in place, and everything is still twist-tied together like it came from the factory.  An excellent deal for $200.  Listening to them right now, and they sound great :)  Bass is powerful and accurate, but not overpowering (I've never noticed the little bass thumps at the beginning of "Layla" before this).  The treble has a bit of harshness to it, but nowhere near Grado levels.  Mids are a tiny bit recessed compared to the FA-011, but it's not too bad.  Overall, I'm really glad I decided to pick these up.  And yeah, the cable is a pain.  I'm considering picking up a D5000/7000 cable from Lawton and just swapping that in - seems like a decent upgrade for $30.

Jan 20, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #1,862 of 9,815

Quote:

Got my "Open Box" D2000s today, and honestly, I can't tell if the box was ever opened.  There's no damage, and no seals on the box to break or remove.  The packaging looks mint and untouched - the plastic film on the metal parts of the headband is still in place, and everything is still twist-tied together like it came from the factory.  An excellent deal for $200.  Listening to them right now, and they sound great :)  Bass is powerful and accurate, but not overpowering (I've never noticed the little bass thumps at the beginning of "Layla" before this).  The treble has a bit of harshness to it, but nowhere near Grado levels.  Mids are a tiny bit recessed compared to the FA-011, but it's not too bad.  Overall, I'm really glad I decided to pick these up.  And yeah, the cable is a pain.  I'm considering picking up a D5000/7000 cable from Lawton and just swapping that in - seems like a decent upgrade for $30.

Same experience here with my D2000.  Everything looked brand new.  Soundwise, I felt the same too :)  Better bass extension than my HIFI 580 so HIFI 580 will have to go back :)  However, its mid cannot touch that of HD598's.  I'm OK the cable.  It could have been worse.  Comfy level is top notch - same as that of HD598. 

So if J&R gave you a hard time with their pricing (wouldn't budge below 225), give EE a try :)  As someone suggested before, Denon won't let EE discount the headphones too much, so tthey listed these headphones as "open box" to get away with selling these way bellow MSRP...

Jan 21, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #1,864 of 9,815
Sennheiser HD 280 Pros for $59.95, 24 hours only.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106328&Tpk=hd280pro

Jan 21, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #1,865 of 9,815

Quote:

Same experience here with my D2000.  Everything looked brand new.  Soundwise, I felt the same too :)  Better bass extension than my HIFI 580 so HIFI 580 will have to go back :)  However, its mid cannot touch that of HD598's.  I'm OK the cable.  It could have been worse.  Comfy level is top notch - same as that of HD598. 

So if J&R gave you a hard time with their pricing (wouldn't budge below 225), give EE a try :)  As someone suggested before, Denon won't let EE discount the headphones too much, so tthey listed these headphones as "open box" to get away with selling these way bellow MSRP...

Do they come with warranty?

*EDIT: Nevermind. THEY DO! :D

Jan 21, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #1,866 of 9,815
Jan 21, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #1,867 of 9,815
I noticed that B&H Photo has the Beyerdynamic DT900 Premium (32ohm) for $219 but their online ordering seems to be down til 6pm tonight. Let's see if that price changes. 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/614494-REG/Beyerdynamic_483958_DT_990_Premium_Open_Back.html

Jan 21, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #1,868 of 9,815
Amazon also has them for $219 and FREE Shipping...should I jump on it? I listen to Classical music on my ipod....mostly lossless files. Appreciate any feedback. 

Jan 21, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #1,869 of 9,815
They're probably not the best Classical cans. I'd look for a 598. The Beyers improve a lot with amping and the Pros have even more overwhelming bass than usual...

EDIT: The 598 can be had for ~170 most of the time and are the best headphones for Classical (IMO) until you more than double their price.

Quote:
Amazon also has them for $219 and FREE Shipping...should I jump on it? I listen to Classical music on my ipod....mostly lossless files. Appreciate any feedback. 

Jan 21, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #1,870 of 9,815

Quote:

Quote:

One question: how long does it take to finish processing the order?

Jan 21, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #1,871 of 9,815
Thanks Morbid....I have an E6 and PA2V2 amps as well. I was considering the Senns...since I got HD428. I like the neutral sound sig on them.

Jan 21, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #1,874 of 9,815

Quote:
I noticed that B&H Photo has the Beyerdynamic DT900 Premium (32ohm) for $219 but their online ordering seems to be down til 6pm tonight. Let's see if that price changes. 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/614494-REG/Beyerdynamic_483958_DT_990_Premium_Open_Back.html

If I'm not mistaken, they are orthodox.  Not taking orders right now is planned.  Business stops at Noon on Fridays and doesn't start back until Saturdays at 6 PM.  Back in the day, 47st Photo was this way, too.  I never hesitated from ordering from either of them - just remember their Sabbath when you plan your order.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back