The Deals Thread (CLOSED! See the last post for the link to the new thread)
Jan 17, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #9,061 of 9,815
Quote:
Hmmm... so it would seem.  Thanks for mentioning that.  That leads to another question (that I was just about to research here):  Is DAKMART a trusted seller?  And if so, do I go with used or refurb?

+1 on the Hit or Miss with Dakmart (which could be why they're using an alternate name) Plus I personally don't like refurbish cans but that's just me so I would go with the used ones instead. Could have just been returned as a gift or who knows. But refurbished means something was wrong with them that warranted them to be repaired for who knows what reason. Could be an overreaction but I don't know, just not a fan personally

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #9,062 of 9,815
Quote:

Have you ever heard a pair? I was super excited for these and really wanted them. I was looking at prices and keeping an eye on them. A good looking pair of headphones to go traveling with? I am in! But then I heard them. They sounded awful.

All those open box returns have been there for about 2 weeks now. 1 source, electronic expo, and central buys have had open box units that started at around $350, and every few days they drop the price a couple bucks. Seems there is a lot of returns and no one is buying them. 

So odd how these D600 seem to have VERY mixed reviews. I wonder if it's due to poor quality control...or just people hear differently coming from different backgrounds? Kind of reminds me of the XBA....

btw my XBA 3ip came in, and it does have a little bit of the pros and cons from each perspective - which I think is funny cause people post one way or another...and in the end it sounds like BOTH ways to my ears lol (great bass, good soundstage, not so great separation at times, tinny/metallic sounding). still debating but i think I might return these....

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #9,063 of 9,815
Quote:

Have you ever heard a pair? I was super excited for these and really wanted them. I was looking at prices and keeping an eye on them. A good looking pair of headphones to go traveling with? I am in! But then I heard them. They sounded awful.

All those open box returns have been there for about 2 weeks now. 1 source, electronic expo, and central buys have had open box units that started at around $350, and every few days they drop the price a couple bucks. Seems there is a lot of returns and no one is buying them. 

That makes a lot more sense now as to why they would be selling so cheap even though they're practically new! That's sad but starting to become expected. What was it about them that you didn't like. I've heard that the bass was all over the place but fun but that's about it for the positives. Mids are nowhere to be found and highs are clear but lacking. Just some of the wonderful things I've heard about them so far.

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #9,064 of 9,815
Quote:
So odd how these D600 seem to have VERY mixed reviews. I wonder if it's due to poor quality control...or just people hear differently coming from different backgrounds? Kind of reminds me of the XBA....

The early adopters of the D600 really loved them, which is why I ended up getting a pair through amazon. I listened and thought they were pretty bad, especially for this much money. Let them burn in for a week or so without listening, they still sounded pretty bad.I couldn't figure out why, and looked back at the early adopters that raved over these things. For the most part, the people that really liked these headphones had very little experience with other cans. A big lesson for me to learn, again. Seemed I got caught on the hype train that other people made for these.

Ohwell, luckily it was amazon, so the return didn't end up costing me too much. 

Jan 17, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #9,065 of 9,815
Quote:

The early adopters of the D600 really loved them, which is why I ended up getting a pair through amazon. I listened and thought they were pretty bad, especially for this much money. Let them burn in for a week or so without listening, they still sounded pretty bad.I couldn't figure out why, and looked back at the early adopters that raved over these things. For the most part, the people that really liked these headphones had very little experience with other cans. A big lesson for me to learn, again. Seemed I got caught on the hype train that other people made for these.

Ohwell, luckily it was amazon, so the return didn't end up costing me too much. 

Not trying to go off topic, which  cans you think are closer to the D7000 signature sound?

Jan 17, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #9,066 of 9,815
Quote:
Not trying to go off topic, which  cans you think are closer to the D7000 signature sound?

Fostex TH-900, JVC DX1000

Jan 17, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #9,067 of 9,815
Quote:

The fostex TH900 are basically the next generation of the Denon Dx000 line. To make it simple, Fostex basically made the DX000 headphones for Denon.

If you're looking for something in the less than $1800 region, there are a few other choices if you're looking for a similar sound (i.e. a slightly bass tilted sound, that still has a nice detail nuanced sound:

Hifiman HE-400
Fostex T50RP mods (e.g. "Mad Dog" "Paradox" ) 
Ultrasone HFI 580, HFI 780 (These do have more treble than the DX000 range)

All of these sound similar to the Dx000, but not quite like it. Keep in mind that the DX000 range was not nearly as discussed or popular about 8 months ago. It's not a sound for everyone, and there wasn't a huge following before it was discontinued. If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me!

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #9,068 of 9,815
Quote:

The fostex TH900 are basically the next generation of the Denon Dx000 line. To make it simple, Fostex basically made the DX000 headphones for Denon.

If you're looking for something in the less than $1800 region, there are a few other choices if you're looking for a similar sound (i.e. a slightly bass tilted sound, that still has a nice detail nuanced sound:

Hifiman HE-400
Fostex T50RP mods (e.g. "Mad Dog" "Paradox" ) 
Ultrasone HFI 580, HFI 780 (These do have more treble than the DX000 range)

All of these sound similar to the Dx000, but not quite like it. Keep in mind that the DX000 range was not nearly as discussed or popular about 8 months ago. It's not a sound for everyone, and there wasn't a huge following before it was discontinued. If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me!

its a very coloured sound, "The King of Fun", very good bass and very euphoric, it has an uncanny ability to transport you to a parallel universe. Its not just hearing the quality, its experiencing it. 

Also AT-ANV3000.

And its smooth. 

Personally I love it, of course depends on your preferences. 

Jan 17, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #9,069 of 9,815

Quote:
+1 on the Hit or Miss with Dakmart (which could be why they're using an alternate name) Plus I personally don't like refurbish cans but that's just me so I would go with the used ones instead. Could have just been returned as a gift or who knows. But refurbished means something was wrong with them that warranted them to be repaired for who knows what reason. Could be an overreaction but I don't know, just not a fan personally

I would take refurbished over used any day unless you're talking about 'seller refurbished' versus 'manufacturer refurbished'. The whole point of refurbishing an item is to return it to brand new condition so it can be resold. With headphones that's easy-- replace ear pads / drivers / head band or whatever has the problem along with anything that has signs of wear and the result is a like new headphone at a huge discount. And often times there is actually nothing wrong with the refurbished item, it was just returned by a customer that changed their mind for some reason.

Everyone I've heard from who has bought refurbished cans through Dakmart has said they were indistinguishable from brand new headphones. Manufacturer refurbished headphones also come with warranties (albeit typically short ones, usually 2-3 months). Used on the other hand comes with none of this. Anything that might be wrong with the headphone hasn't been fixed and the warranties aren't transferable. You're lucky if they've even been thoroughly cleaned. There is no guarantee that the item will be in the condition described. The seller's perception of 'like new' might be your idea of 'very used'.

And I know I'm getting really anal and paranoid now but... I refuse to put ear pads on my head that have been worn for an indeterminate amount of time by a stranger. So that adds the cost of new ear pads to the cost of any used headphone. Hahaha. :wink: Every pair of manufacturer refurbished cans I've purchased or that people I know have purchased came with no signs on the ear pads of any use whatsoever, or on any other part for that matter.

Granted, I've bought other refurbished items that were not in like new condition but I've had nothing but positive experiences with refurbished headphones. It all depends on the manufacturer since they're the ones doing the refurbishing. Manufacturer refurbished Senn's are a very safe bet in my experience.

You may want to check their site. Sometimes their refurbished 'phones are even cheaper when bought directly through their website. http://www.dakmart.com

Jan 17, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #9,070 of 9,815

[size=1.7em] AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition[/size]

$400 amazon third party

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #9,072 of 9,815
I would take refurbished over used any day unless you're talking about 'seller refurbished' versus 'manufacturer refurbished'. The whole point of refurbishing an item is to return it to brand new condition so it can be resold. With headphones that's easy-- replace ear pads / drivers / head band or whatever has the problem along with anything that has signs of wear and the result is a like new headphone at a huge discount.

Im with you there. The best thing about factory refurbished goods is that a human being has actually inspected and tested it. In many respects, this is better than buying "new" where defects can slip through the production process.

I seek out factory refurbished goods whenever I can.

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #9,073 of 9,815
Quote:
Im with you there. The best thing about factory refurbished goods is that a human being has actually inspected and tested it. In many respects, this is better than buying "new" where defects can slip through the production process.

I seek out factory refurbished goods whenever I can.

+3   ,  I haven't used Dakmart, but have used other Dealers that are Senn's guys.  And I never had any problems, Every time you get Brand new stuff.  They are always factory fresh, and at a steal.   Senn HD 428 for 27.99 shipped to my door.  C'mon, 90 warranty as well...Nothing wrong with a savings?

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #9,074 of 9,815
I bought a refurb senn from dakmart once. arrived one speaker dead, dakmart had me go through sennheiser for return. while the price was great, it was a hassle.

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #9,075 of 9,815
Quote:
I bought a refurb senn from dakmart once. arrived one speaker dead, dakmart had me go through sennheiser for return. while the price was great, it was a hassle.

Dang, that sucks. You're the first person I've heard have that kind of problem with refurb'ed Senns from dakmart. How was the customer service from Senn? Did they replace it for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back