The Deals Thread (CLOSED! See the last post for the link to the new thread)
Jul 27, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #4,726 of 9,815
Oh, I'm aware that 25% of barely over 7 bucks is almost nothing.  Its a purchase I've been considering seeing that I'm curious about, as well as its closed can counterpart.  Mainly, I've been teetering on the brink of buying them, backorder being the only thing holding me back currently.  And with a sale popping up the day they're hopefully restocked, that's that last bit that tips the scales.  Now I could be a complete tool and point out I've done the proofs actually proving mathmatics to the point of percentages in college, which frankly was a real pain and glad I have no need to remember it, but I'll not go into detail :)

But yes, as a beginner in all this wonderous glory that is going broke fueling the desire/OCD for better sound, I'm curious about the 2 monoprice products.  So, as I said before, here's hoping!

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #4,727 of 9,815
Quote:
Oh, I'm aware that 25% of barely over 7 bucks is almost nothing.  Its a purchase I've been considering seeing that I'm curious about, as well as its closed can counterpart.  Mainly, I've been teetering on the brink of buying them, backorder being the only thing holding me back currently.  And with a sale popping up the day they're hopefully restocked, that's that last bit that tips the scales.  Now I could be a complete tool and point out I've done the proofs actually proving mathmatics to the point of percentages in college, which frankly was a real pain and glad I have no need to remember it, but I'll not go into detail :)

But yes, as a beginner in all this wonderous glory that is going broke fueling the desire/OCD for better sound, I'm curious about the 2 monoprice products.  So, as I said before, here's hoping!

I hear ya. I've been teetering on the brink of buying the 8323s myself, to give to a friend and also just to try them out. If the 25% deal on the 31st applies to them I will probably pull the trigger as well. :)

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #4,729 of 9,815
Not at all. I do the same thing. I have 5+ headphones I'm planning on getting and even small discounts can put me over the edge. :) Postponing purchases is the only thing that saves me from constantly spending money on things I don't really need. haha

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #4,730 of 9,815
Quote:
Batteries and a big Equalizer module hangs from the cord...
Review: http://iahpt.wordpress.com/2012/03/24/review-tdk-st800/

For $50 how can you loose, If you don't like them, then gift them to someone.

beerchug.gif

They're really not that bad. I've certainly heard worse - but everything about these is salvageable. I have warm mids - maybe not as articulate, but natural nonetheless, and the highs shine like the best of them. The TDK also gets some comfort points - although they get warm like any other cans using leather-like material.

Again, you must be aware that there are 200 ohm headphones, so you will need a decent amp. The built-in does service a purpose. It's really not intrusive and as simple as it can get for bass and treble adjustments. They don't particularly get in the way and when they're powered on, there is significant improvement of sound across the board.

Focusing on the built-in eq, there are a number of drawbacks. 1)  when you turn it on, it can take like 5 or more seconds before the signal goes through it.  2) The AAA battery drains very fast.. maybe within 12 hours - or couple days worth. I've listened to these cans without resorting to the EQ and it's simply harder to get the 'WOW I can't believe I got these for ______ without involving the EQ. . If you have endless supply of batteries / rechargables, the EQ will serve you well albeit gimmicky response from many other reviewers. For $50 or $60 200ohm phones, that's a great deal. There are plenty of others that aren't simply worth it... recently tried the Senn HD238 and all of the EQ in the world couldn't make them sound good.

So if you in the market for some decent.cheapt phones and have Amp/DAC options - you can certainly get some decent play time with these.

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #4,731 of 9,815
Quote:

Really? What are the chances that my 8320s are perfect aside from having somewhat crappy SQ? (Just asking, not implying that this couldn't be the case).

Does it sound tinny? That's the common sound sig for defected units. 

http://www.head-fi.org/search.php?search=defective&containingthread%5B%5D=580769&output=posts&action=disp

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #4,732 of 9,815
Quote:

http://www.head-fi.org/search.php?search=defective&containingthread%5B%5D=580769&output=posts&action=disp

Interesting! I hope that's what it is. They definitely sound a bit tinny. Thanks for the info man, I'll have to get in touch with monoprice. Hopefully they won't charge me to ship them back to them because it will probably cost me as much as the earphones did. :)

Jul 27, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #4,733 of 9,815
Quote:

I hear ya. I've been teetering on the brink of buying the 8323s myself, to give to a friend and also just to try them out. If the 25% deal on the 31st applies to them I will probably pull the trigger as well. :)

Buy them. Let me push you over to the other side of the fence. It's better over here. :) Seriously, buy YOURSELF a pair as well. You won't regret it.

Jul 27, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #4,734 of 9,815
Quote:

Nah, that's the common sound sig for improper fitting tips.  I hated mine, had them replaced and then found tips that sealed.  NIGHT & DAY !!!!!

bob

Jul 27, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #4,735 of 9,815
Quote:
Buy them. Let me push you over to the other side of the fence. It's better over here. :) Seriously, buy YOURSELF a pair as well. You won't regret it.

Yeah I will. I have a shopping cart filled with cables and a pair of 8323s, waiting to get purchased, its just a matter of time. But I have to admit, there's a 99% chance I will be giving them to my friend because when I use full size cans I do so for many hours at a time so anything less comfortable than my HD600s and DT770s is pretty much out of the question since I wouldn't end up using them much based on the comfort factor. The only time I'm not using headphones for consecutive hours is when I'm in bed using my tablet in which case I prefer a smaller pair of on-ears.

Anyway, back to the deals..

Altec Lansing UHP106 Backbeat Series In-Ear Headphones with Ultimate Ears Technology - $7.99 with free shipping:
http://www.dailysteals.com/

Jul 27, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #4,736 of 9,815
Quote:

Nah, that's the common sound sig for improper fitting tips.  I hated mine, had them replaced and then found tips that sealed.  NIGHT & DAY !!!!!

bob

Good to know. I suspected the tips and seal might be part of the problem. I've been planning on trying some Comply tips with them.

Jul 27, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #4,740 of 9,815
Quote:
Monoprice is selling their audio equipment for 25% off on July 31st. Hopefully, this includes the 8320 and 8323.

http://www.monoprice.com/home/promo.asp?pn=10_anniversary_sale&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=10day_deals&utm_content=day01&utm_campaign=10th_anniversary

Well poop, just got myself an 8323 with a cable I needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back