The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Dec 1, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #19,126 of 35,328
There's actual science behind it.. old house, bad grid, etc can effect sq. Call it crazy but even power cables can change the sound, for good or bad is another story and subjective.

The perfect sine (stepped) can actually produce a better wave than an outlet and can be seen with a scope.

I has heard it
>.<
Sound change from a power supply.
>.<

Dec 1, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #19,127 of 35,328
There's actual science behind it.. old house, bad grid, etc can effect sq. Call it crazy but even power cables can change the sound, for good or bad is another story and subjective.

The perfect sine (stepped) can actually produce a better wave than an outlet and can be seen with a scope.

I has heard it

He already seems to have a decent power supply.  The claim that power cables can change the sound is... dubious at best unless the current one has problems.  I would argue that 99% percent of the benefit of cleaner power is lower noise, and that isn't really a sound quality change.

Dec 1, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #19,129 of 35,328
Let's focus on deals. There are other forums for discussions of power and cables

JBL Speakers:
Loft 40 $50, Loft 20 $40, SP150 subwoofer $80:
http://flash.newegg.com/Campaign/7267?icid=WP_11_12012015

DON'T BUY THIS, TERRIBLE HEADPHONE, BUT IF YOU MUST:
Beyer T1 2nd gen $850 like new used:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B015ACX03G/

Dec 1, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #19,130 of 35,328
  He already seems to have a decent power supply.  The claim that power cables can change the sound is... dubious at best unless the current one has problems.  I would argue that 99% percent of the benefit of cleaner power is lower noise, and that isn't really a sound quality change.

Well color me sound crazy!! I thought I heard a difference on power cables

Dec 1, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #19,133 of 35,328

I has heard it

Definitely true. A couple of months ago I was about to return my Little Dot for being defective. Decided to check the LD forum beforehand, they said try a different outlet. I thought noway, but it was a new house that we had just moved into. So I gave it a try and yes it fixed the hum, ringing. I soon learned that I was originally using a outlet that shared power with the refrigerator in our garage. It had it's very own breaker, or whatever it's called, separate from the rest of the house and the fridge was taxing it.

Dec 1, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #19,135 of 35,328
  Definitely true. A couple of months ago I was about to return my Little Dot for being defective. Decided to check the LD forum beforehand, they said try a different outlet. I thought noway, but it was a new house that we had just moved into. So I gave it a try and yes it fixed the hum, ringing. I soon learned that I was originally using a outlet that shared power with the refrigerator in our garage. It had it's very own breaker, or whatever it's called, separate from the rest of the house and the fridge was taxing it.

Get a certified electrician in your house - and you are better be quick about it. Faulty ground is the most common cause for that type of crap, with an occasional house fire waiting to happen. Another cause - and easier to fix - if the hot wire and the neutral a switched. I had that on the outlet of our micro wave. It took me a while to figure it out, because our OTA had signal loss only when the micro wave ran.

BTW, even if the fridge has its own breaker other outlets might be parallel or in series "behind" the fridge line. So, save yourself some headache and call a pro.

Cheers.

Dec 1, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #19,136 of 35,328
Get a certified electrician in your house - and you are better be quick about it. Faulty ground is the most common cause for that type of crap, with an occasional house fire waiting to happen. Another cause - and easier to fix - if the hot wire and the neutral a switched. I had that on the outlet of our micro wave. It took me a while to figure it out, because our OTA had signal loss only when the micro wave ran.

BTW, even if the fridge has its own breaker other outlets might be parallel or in series "behind" the fridge line. So, save yourself some headache and call a pro.

Cheers.

Ditto on home wiring. I had a high power amp that refused to get out of startup mode on certain plugs in the house, but worked fine on others. I returned the amp under warranty for a new one, which worked fine everywhere.

Dec 1, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #19,137 of 35,328
This is now the home wiring and power thread.
I am excellent at derailing this thread.  pls don't ban me

Dec 2, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #19,140 of 35,328

Free Music: Linn 24 Bits of Christmas - 2015

How it works:

• Visit the 24-bits of Christmas site: [COLOR=0066CC]www.linn.co.uk/christmas[/COLOR]
  • Return each Monday to download the new free Linn Collection*
  • Share with family, friends and on social media using the hashtag #24bitXmas

Merry Christmas, with love from Linn.

*Each Linn Collection will available to download for free for 1 week only: from Monday at 10am to the following Monday at 9am.

Thanks to @silvrr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back