The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Apr 13, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #6,976 of 12,548
Hey guys, I started a new thread in the Amps forum to get a current, comprehensive list of amps with good synergy with the 600 Ohm 880s. If you can add or help, please do:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/714400/list-of-synergistic-amps-for-dt-800-600-ohm-updated-for-2014

Apr 13, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #6,977 of 12,548
Hey guys, I started a new thread in the Amps forum to get a current, comprehensive list of amps with good synergy with the 600 Ohm 880s. If you can add or help, please do:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/714400/list-of-synergistic-amps-for-dt-800-600-ohm-updated-for-2014

done!

Apr 13, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #6,978 of 12,548
Going to join the appreciation as a new owner of 250 ohm premiums.  Headphones sing on a bunch of my favorite desktop and portable amps.

I don't really want to do them too much justice or injustice by comparing them to any other headphones out there, but these really provide a great experience.  Have not been able to take them off of my head.

Pros-
-weight
-driver matching
-sound quality across the spectrum
-presentation of the sound
-sound stage
-price

Cons-
-fit (a bit too round for my tastes)
-fixed cable

Makes me really wonder why Beyerdynamic has some of their other headphones in the same price range...  I know that different tunings exist for a reason, but there are certain qualities I can't help but notice the 880 balances these qualities for a presentation and space so eloquently.  They are in a great spot where if I wanted to EQ for a different flavor I could and not lose any of the positive qualities of this headphone.  Anyway, glad to be able to post in this thread :)

Apr 13, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #6,979 of 12,548
  Cons-
-fit (a bit too round for my tastes)

I agree! That's what's been bugging me about the fit... I couldn't figure out exactly what it was. Otherwise really comfortable.

I bought mine because I loved the openness and air so much that I was willing to settle for what I feel is a slight lack of lower-mid/upper bass thump and a sometimes harsh lower treble. I'm looking for an amp to help smooth it out a little.

Apr 13, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #6,980 of 12,548
If you have a capable amp I would suggest seeing if you can EQ it where you want.

Maybe that's not what a lot of people openly talk about doing, but I use EQ for small adjustments which save me lots of monies.

Buying color variated amplifiers is a losing game if the difference you want is a +/- 1-4dB >.<

Apr 13, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #6,981 of 12,548
Your point is excellent. The only problem is I don't have EQ on the "amp" I'm currently using (it's more of Pro Audio monitoring section). When I'm using iTunes I can make adjustments with their little EQ and get the DT-880s pretty much perfect for me.

Plus, I really want to find out if I can conjure up some aural magic with a tube amp. I think I need to get this out of my system and find out if it's truly magic, myth, or just over-rated : ) If any headphones were to benefit from this magic, these are apparently the ones.

Apr 13, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #6,982 of 12,548
Sorry to hear you BAILED on us! But when one evolves to a higher standard it is expected.

Nah, he'll be back. I had LCD-2 and HE-500 and neither provided the mix of comfort, sound and build quality, The 880 is (relatively) cheap, feels like two litttle lambs hugging your head (well, sort of) and sounds like something 3 times the price. How could you go past that--permanently?

biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #6,983 of 12,548
Nah, he'll be back. I had LCD-2 and HE-500 and neither provided the mix of comfort, sound and build quality, The 880 is (relatively) cheap, feels like two litttle lambs hugging your head (well, sort of) and sounds like something 3 times the price. How could you go past that--permanently?

:D

You're probably right.
I'll wander around lost in the wilds of headphone world, then come back to "home" and get a pair of 250 Ohm DT880s.

Apr 14, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #6,988 of 12,548
So...is it a secret? What's the tube? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back