The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Apr 16, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #7,006 of 12,546
  Has anyone tried the Alpha pads with the DT880? I would be interested to hear impressions.

Have both, just gave it a shot.  I'm surprised!  Takes about 5-10 seconds to get them positioned correctly on your head but it's nice.  More comfortable than stock pads and the headphones remain in place without feeling loose.

I'll listen to them more later, but that was promising enough I might buy another set of alpha pads.

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #7,007 of 12,546
  Have both, just gave it a shot.  I'm surprised!  Takes about 5-10 seconds to get them positioned correctly on your head but it's nice.  More comfortable than stock pads and the headphones remain in place without feeling loose.

I'll listen to them more later, but that was promising enough I might buy another set of alpha pads.

What is the difference in sound quality between the stock pads and the Alpha's? I don't find the stock pads to be uncomfortable in the least, but the alpha pads look like they would be ultra comfortable. For me sound quality would be the most determining factor.

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #7,008 of 12,546
I have not quite put my finger on it.  I'll know once I get to play with my EQ a bit, so I will be right back to you with some information regarding signature change.

The first thing I noticed is a difference in the low end.  The top feels relatively similar, and initially I felt like the presentation was a bit further forward.  Again that was something I pulled from about 40 seconds, so I'll be back soon with an update.

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #7,009 of 12,546
  I have not quite put my finger on it.  I'll know once I get to play with my EQ a bit, so I will be right back to you with some information regarding signature change.

The first thing I noticed is a difference in the low end.  The top feels relatively similar, and initially I felt like the presentation was a bit further forward.  Again that was something I pulled from about 40 seconds, so I'll be back soon with an update.

I'm very interested in reading your impressions!

Apr 16, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #7,010 of 12,546

Please do report back. 

I'm debating on whether to to get the Alpha pads for both my Q40's and DT880's. People who used them on the Q40's reported that they increase comfort dramatically and improve the sound quite a bit also. 

Apr 16, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #7,011 of 12,546
Back after a solid half hour of listening.

I feel as if these pads have positional "sweet spots" where if your ear isn't in the right place you might get a pretty terrible result.

::EDIT:: to clarify the upper mids were heavily affected by the position of the ear within the pad.

impressions... the bass... it's pretty heavy on bassy tracks, sub bass is still relaxed.

I was able to determine with assistance from EQ software that there is a lower mid boost around 200-600Hz.  This really makes the low end feel a bit bloated, it felt better to ease up and reduce the amplitude there.  Then there is another boost around 5K.  It was easier to pinpoint the 5K bump because everything regarding percussion in that region stuck out like a sore thumb.

All in all I am not disappointed one bit :)  This was a fun little experiment.

Sound stage definitely did not suffer, and I like the angled pads for presentation.  The music feels a bit more intimate.

Apr 16, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #7,012 of 12,546
  Back after a solid half hour of listening.

I feel as if these pads have positional "sweet spots" where if your ear isn't in the right place you might get a pretty terrible result.

::EDIT:: to clarify the upper mids were heavily affected by the position of the ear within the pad.

impressions... the bass... it's pretty heavy on bassy tracks, sub bass is still relaxed.

I was able to determine with assistance from EQ software that there is a lower mid boost around 200-600Hz.  This really makes the low end feel a bit bloated, it felt better to ease up and reduce the amplitude there.  Then there is another boost around 5K.  It was easier to pinpoint the 5K bump because everything regarding percussion in that region stuck out like a sore thumb.

All in all I am not disappointed one bit :)  This was a fun little experiment.

Sound stage definitely did not suffer, and I like the angled pads for presentation.  The music feels a bit more intimate.

Interesting! Is the presentation less balanced than the stock pads? I'm guessing by your impressions it is.

Apr 16, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #7,013 of 12,546
I'm relatively new to the world of audio but head-fi has introduced me to my latest love, the DT880s. I have previously used the ATH-M50s and still enjoy them for their deep bass response. 

However, I wanted to try something new (and open backed). Even before burning these bad boys in, I am blown away by the airiness of the sound and the overall comfort compared to the Audio-Technicas! I love these things. The shimmering highs are a nice addition as well. I should have made this upgrade a long time ago.

Currently using an Audioengine D1 DAC/Amp, which seems to get the job done. Any reasonably priced/relatively portable tube amp suggestions out there? (I'm quickly finding like everyone else that the more I appreciate sound quality, the lighter my wallet gets)

Thanks!

Apr 16, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #7,015 of 12,546
Maybe "portable" and "tube amp" is an oxymoron. Never mind portability, I just don't have room for something the size of a stereo receiver. And under $300 is what my aim is. I'll check out the Bottlehead, thanks!

Apr 16, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #7,016 of 12,546
  Maybe "portable" and "tube amp" is an oxymoron. Never mind portability, I just don't have room for something the size of a stereo receiver. And under $300 is what my aim is. I'll check out the Bottlehead, thanks!

Portable Tube Amps...

ELEKIT TU-HP01
http://www.elekit.co.jp/material/english_product_html/TU-HP01.php

Analog Squared Papaer TUR-06
http://www.analog2p.com/product/tur06.html

ALO Pan AM & Passport
http://www.aloaudio.com/amplifiers/the-pan-am

TUBE Amp BL2
http://www.tubeamp.cn/en/cp/html/?195.html

Many portables to be had. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #7,017 of 12,546
  Interesting! Is the presentation less balanced than the stock pads? I'm guessing by your impressions it is.

Less balanced and it feels like a different headphone until you notice the soundstage.

Once there's a part of your listening track which sounds spacious you remember which headphones you've got on.  Otherwise like I've hinted before the signature and bits of presentation are not comparable to stock.

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #7,019 of 12,546
  Less balanced and it feels like a different headphone until you notice the soundstage.

Once there's a part of your listening track which sounds spacious you remember which headphones you've got on.  Otherwise like I've hinted before the signature and bits of presentation are not comparable to stock.

Wow that was a very interesting read to see your impressions on the Alpha pads. I ordered a pair of black Alpha Dogs a little over a week ago so when I get them I might do some experimenting with my DT880 
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back