The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Apr 17, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #7,021 of 12,546
Can you guys help me narrow down my tube amp search?

Darkvoice 336
Little Dot MKIII
Little Dot MKIV
Schiit Valhalla

This would be just for the 880s. I understand some tube changes may be necessary.

I'll describe what I'm looking for and hopefully it'll help:

I really like the way the 880 sounds as-is, but I think it has more potential. Overall, I'd like to hear some silky, lush, tube magic, and assuming there is a such a thing, my guess is it'll make the treble sweeter but also make the bass mushier. I definitely would like to smooth out the highs, which can get edgy sometimes. For the bass, a thicker, punchy low mid/upper bass would be great. I think the sub-low part of the 880s is fine.

Whaddaya guys think?

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #7,022 of 12,546
Originally Posted by ccash /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Darkvoice 336
Little Dot MKIII
Little Dot MKIV
Schiit Valhalla

beerchug.gif

Apr 17, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #7,023 of 12,546
I just received my Little Dot MKII to use with my 880 premium 600 ohms. The first word that comes to mind with the pairing is "effortless". I was using the 880's unamped since I got them 4 days ago, and wow, is the change obvious. They sound full. Full of warmth, lack of sibilance, and man, the soundstage....very spacious, even more so than before. These are just my first impressions. Still listening and enjoying! I was worried at first that the 880's weren't all they were cracked up to be. All they need is a little tube love 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 17, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #7,024 of 12,546
Good Evening! Have had my dt-880 250ohm's running through my Arcam...bypassing tone controls with Arcam's Direct Tonal input. Must admit this is one Superb Headphone...the Soundstage and Neutral Tonal Balance on all Genres of music is as it's meant to be...Involving and Accurate. So far a new love of everything Musical! Sincerely...Headshot65

Apr 17, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #7,025 of 12,546
And some great tubes, check page 77 of the Little Dot Tube Rolling thread about halfway down.

Those are all the 7 pin tubes that have been tried and their configurations. Switching to 9 pins and octals will enhance the sound even more. :)

Apr 17, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #7,026 of 12,546
And some great tubes, check page 77 of the Little Dot Tube Rolling thread about halfway down.

Those are all the 7 pin tubes that have been tried and their configurations. Switching to 9 pins and octals will enhance the sound even more.
smily_headphones1.gif

This is my first real tube amp (coming from the Vali), so I may be completely wrong here. The tubes that came with have 9 pins on the bottoms. I bought the amp used off of Amazon.

Apr 17, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #7,027 of 12,546
The power tubes (Back) are B9A 9pin, the drivers (Front) are B7G 7 pin.

Unless the previous owner has modified it then bonus for you if they are all 9 pin. :wink:

Apr 17, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #7,029 of 12,546
  I just received my Little Dot MKII to use with my 880 premium 600 ohms. The first word that comes to mind with the pairing is "effortless". I was using the 880's unamped since I got them 4 days ago, and wow, is the change obvious. They sound full. Full of warmth, lack of sibilance, and man, the soundstage....very spacious, even more so than before. These are just my first impressions. Still listening and enjoying! I was worried at first that the 880's weren't all they were cracked up to be. All they need is a little tube love 
smily_headphones1.gif

: ] I had the same feeling when I bought them too. I was running them off of a PC soundcard and while they sounded much better than the motherboard's output, they were just tonally thin/lacking in bass/mid warmth/sibilant. Since then I've burned them in over 2000 hours and upgraded my system.

They sound so fantastic now! I enjoy their bass much more than the AKG K712 I heard at the last Head-fi meet. The AKG K712 directs too much of the bass IMO to the earpads. What the DT880 does so magically is deliver that bass to the center of the cups. I also noticed that the AKG earpads do not have the perforations on the inside of the earpads that allow sound to pass through them like the DT880/990 earpads

Apr 17, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #7,030 of 12,546
  Can you guys help me narrow down my tube amp search?

Darkvoice 336
Little Dot MKIII
Little Dot MKIV
Schiit Valhalla

Pretty much like the above poster, but... for better midrange, go for...

Bottlehead Crack

Apr 17, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #7,031 of 12,546
New DT-880 owner here. Been thinking about returning them to replace them with a warmer/less-analytical sounding headphone such as the Phillips L1, but the more I listen to them, the more I like them...been blown away listening to classical and jazz.

So, speaking of amps, I'm now thinking about getting an amp to power my 250 ohms. I listen to music on a work computer, so it needs to be a portable amp, and I'm really not looking to spend much money on this--hopefully less than $50. What would you guys recommend? I'm happy with the volume I get from my work computer, so do I really need an amp? Will an amp improve the actual sound quality? Thanks for your advice! 

Apr 17, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #7,033 of 12,546
New DT-880 owner here. Been thinking about returning them to replace them with a warmer/less-analytical sounding headphone such as the Phillips L1, but the more I listen to them, the more I like them...been blown away listening to classical and jazz.

So, speaking of amps, I'm now thinking about getting an amp to power my 250 ohms. I listen to music on a work computer, so it needs to be a portable amp, and I'm really not looking to spend much money on this--hopefully less than $50. What would you guys recommend? I'm happy with the volume I get from my work computer, so do I really need an amp? Will an amp improve the actual sound quality? Thanks for your advice! 

Under $50? I think the Fiio E11 is a good choice. If you can bump your budget a bit look into:
C&C Bh2
Fiio E12

Apr 17, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #7,034 of 12,546
Originally Posted by TrollDragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Schiit Valhalla
beerchug.gif

Thanks TrollDragon, Bill-P and Rem0o. Interesting TD, as you have a Little Dot MKIV. So I guess you're saying if you were starting again, you'd....

Can you guys describe sonically what to expect with the Valhalla versus the little Dot or 336? I like the idea of made in the USA and faster shipping... I'm anxious and ready to go!

Congrats to NotaLefty and Headshot65!

Cosmogrammer - you're probably OK with the 250 ohm without an amp (I mean $50 isn't going to go far, but for a little more people like the paring of the Fiio E09k, but you should then get a DAC... I'd wait and save a bit). If you had the 600s it would be a different story.

Apr 17, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #7,035 of 12,546
  Cosmogrammer - you're probably OK with the 250 ohm without an amp (I mean $50 isn't going to go far, but for a little more people like the paring of the Fiio E09k, but you should then get a DAC... I'd wait and save a bit). If you had the 600s it would be a different story.

So is an amp the type of thing where I'd have to invest some money to get a noticeable difference in sound quality? Like I said, I'm not having issues with volume. 

Thanks for the suggestions, xkonfuzed. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back