The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Sep 27, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #11,236 of 12,546
Has anyone tried the 880's with pleather pads? I got a pair of TH900 pads and was thinking about putting them on 880's. I have a pair of 990's but it has a weird U/V shape too it. My hope is pleather would give a slight bass boost to an otherwise neutral headphone.

Sep 27, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #11,237 of 12,546
What's stopping you from just trying it out though?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 28, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #11,239 of 12,546
Like:
Bass reproduction
Lack of euphonic distortion
High impedance accuracy
Transparency
Cheap
Not musical at all

Dislike:
Quite bright
Earpads not at room temperature/cold
Slightly lacking in detail
Sensitive to positioning on head (sound alters)

I'm not overly fond of the soundstage presentation but have kind of got used to it. The
reason I keep these is I believe they are giving an accurate picture of the recording (apart
from the brightness/details). Whereas most headphones/amplifiers want to change the
recording in some way. Perfection would be a HD580/600/650 form with the first two
likes.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #11,240 of 12,546
Like:
Bass reproduction
High impedance accuracy
Transparency
Cheap
Not musical at all

Dislike:
Quite bright

I'm not overly fond of the soundstage presentation but have kind of got used to it. The
reason I keep these is I believe they are giving an accurate picture of the recording (apart
from the brightness/details). Whereas most headphones/amplifiers want to change the
recording in some way. Perfection would be a HD580/600/650 form with the first two
likes.

I find the "Not musical at all" comment in the "like" section thought provoking.:snake:
:beyersmile:

Sep 28, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #11,241 of 12,546
Like:
Bass reproduction
High impedance accuracy
Transparency
Cheap
Not musical at all

Dislike:
Quite bright

likes.

Maybe you need a source and an amp with more power. The DT800/ 600ohm needs a lot of power to sound as they're supposed to.

Sep 30, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #11,243 of 12,546
I got a bunch of pads. So far I am liking these XL brainwavz pads. they don't fit tightly but good enough. Keep in mind I only got 3 hours on these headphones so it might change. I got like 5 sets of headphone pads i am trying.

880s.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #11,244 of 12,546
Just listened to my DT880 (600ohm) after a few month hiatus, been giving most head time to my HE400i and love how impressed I still am with the 880's. Running from a Maverick Audio DAC into a LD MKIII and man they still sound so good. Great detail, ever so slightly tweaked from a Audio Control Octave EQ. Listening to Stanley Clarke-East River Drive and bass is tight and present. Every time I think of selling them off I listen and change my mind. Just a solid headphone.

Oct 4, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #11,245 of 12,546
Just listened to my DT880 (600ohm) after a few month hiatus, been giving most head time to my HE400i and love how impressed I still am with the 880's. Running from a Maverick Audio DAC into a LD MKIII and man they still sound so good. Great detail, ever so slightly tweaked from a Audio Control Octave EQ. Listening to Stanley Clarke-East River Drive and bass is tight and present. Every time I think of selling them off I listen and change my mind. Just a solid headphone.

The hifiman company is a bunch of criminals. I bought a pair of pads 3-4 years ago and within 2 months the glue let go and the pads fell apart. I bought a pair of He400 5 months ago and within 2 months the right yolk broke while on my head. I recently picked them up and put them down and the left side yolk broke.

Edit: Beyerdynamic is quality. Owned 770, 880, 990, T5p and t90. All depends on what sound you want.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #11,246 of 12,546
I have heard and read about the issue's with HiFiMan headphones but in all honesty mine have been exceptional. They sound amazing and so far (fingers crossed) no defects in materials or workmanship.
I did purchase mine from Audio Advisor and was assured if any problems arose they would be handled. Perhaps it was a run of brittle plastics on the failed yolks???

Oct 5, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #11,247 of 12,546
I have heard and read about the issue's with HiFiMan headphones but in all honesty mine have been exceptional. They sound amazing and so far (fingers crossed) no defects in materials or workmanship.
I did purchase mine from Audio Advisor and was assured if any problems arose they would be handled. Perhaps it was a run of brittle plastics on the failed yolks???

Very possible. For me its just shows a bad company when they glue their pads. I can only assume the other parts of the headphone were cheapened too.

Oct 5, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #11,248 of 12,546
Received my DT880 Pro / 600 yesterday. I'm not very good at analyzing sound on paper. Suffice it to say, this is a great headphone. I'm using it with my vintage Kenwood KA-8006 integrated amplifier (1974) and the sound is superb. I bought them used so I ordered new pads today. Very happy with this headphone purchase.

Oct 5, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #11,249 of 12,546
Received my DT880 Pro / 600 yesterday. I'm not very good at analyzing sound on paper. Suffice it to say, this is a great headphone. I'm using it with my vintage Kenwood KA-8006 integrated amplifier (1974) and the sound is superb. I bought them used so I ordered new pads today. Very happy with this headphone purchase.

Of all the audio purchases you can make pads are without a doubt the best investment. If you own a bunch of pads you can make a headphone sound completely different just by switching the pads. Which pads did you order ?

Oct 5, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #11,250 of 12,546
Which pads do you recommend and where do you get them? Also are they tough to change out? I had to warranty the headband on my DT880/250 and I think I remember it being a bit of a pain in the a$$. It was a long time ago though. The stock plush pads have become uncomfortable after an hour or so. It’s almost unbearable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back