The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Apr 5, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #6,916 of 12,546

About the clamping, just manually stretch out the headband slightly, a few times, on a few occasions - that did the trick for me. Plus, I just put a small diary where the headband meets the clamps: this also stretches them out and I think 2-3 days of doing it fixed things for me. Please note that while doing this, they're stretched out about the same as they woudl be on my head, so not sure why using them for 3 months hasn't fixed this for you. But do try the headband stretch: it's metal so you can't really harm it. 

I gently manually stretched my headband every few hours over the course of a couple of evenings. It took all of the clamp out of them. Another trick I read was to take a pillow and fold it in half. Then put the DT880s over the folded pillow for a couple of nights. Some people suggest using a stack of books, and I tried that initially, but soon thought that it would flatten out the pads. I ended up just stretching them by hand.

Apr 5, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #6,917 of 12,546

I gently manually stretched my headband every few hours over the course of a couple of evenings. It took all of the clamp out of them. Another trick I read was to take a pillow and fold it in half. Then put the DT880s over the folded pillow for a couple of nights. Some people suggest using a stack of books, and I tried that initially, but soon thought that it would flatten out the pads. I ended up just stretching them by hand.

Even I wanted to avoid flattening the pads, so I put the a think book / diary between clamps, at the point where the headband ends. This stretches the headband, but doesn't put any pressure on the pads. 

Incidentally, I think manually stretching the headband every few hours works better than the book / diary / pillow between headband tactics. Because effectively, that's no different than just having them on your head.

Apr 5, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #6,918 of 12,546
I'd hate to see what you folks would do with a full pound of LCD-3 sitting on your head. After the LCD-3's the DT880's felt like Porta Pro's.

The Audeze's could be swung at someone to crack their jaw, I just loved the heft of them.

"Git ye away from mah Headphones!"

Clang!... Thud!... xD

Apr 5, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #6,919 of 12,546
I'd hate to see what you folks would do with a full pound of LCD-3 sitting on your head. After the LCD-3's the DT880's felt like Porta Pro's.

The Audeze's could be swung at someone to crack their jaw, I just loved the heft of them.

Clang!... Thud!... xD

assault with a deadly headphone

Apr 6, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #6,920 of 12,546

Clang!... Thud!... xD

Of all the Audeze line I found the LCD-3 to be the most neutral and detailed. They really are the king of headphones under $2000.

Apr 6, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #6,921 of 12,546
  I completely agree. You know the moment when everything sounds perfect, and because you're not missing anything musically, there's nothing that prompts you to go in for that next upgrade. I'm in that stage of bliss with the DT880. Sure, you can always find the shiny new thing to lust over, but that's a completely different ballgame. Otherwise, I think this is the first audio equipment I have that I can say I can spend my life with - rhetorically of course, but they're genuinely that good. 

Incidentally, I need a portable amp for these. Any suggestion? What about the ALO Island? I listen mostly to classical. 

If you are looking for a portable amp for the DT880, I would say... hunt down the ALO Continental V2 at any cost. It has enough power to drive the 600 Ohm version to ear-splitting levels even in a loud meet environment, and the sound is just the exact compliment that the DT880 needs: more midrange, just right bass, and smoothed out, a bit more subdued high frequency with a huge soundstage.

Apr 6, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #6,922 of 12,546

If you are looking for a portable amp for the DT880, I would say... hunt down the ALO Continental V2 at any cost. It has enough power to drive the 600 Ohm version to ear-splitting levels even in a loud meet environment, and the sound is just the exact compliment that the DT880 needs: more midrange, just right bass, and smoothed out, a bit more subdued high frequency with a huge soundstage.

Thanks Bill! Will be on the lookout.

Also, do you have any experience with the ALO Island? Seems it has a similar sound signature. Also, since I have the 250 ohm version of the DT880, seems that the Island should be enough to power it. 

Apr 6, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #6,923 of 12,546
The Continental is a tube amplifier, I don't think anything (except for another tube amp) would have a similar sound signature.

I have heard the Continental versus ALO National, and there is just no comparison. The Continental is simply ALO's best portable amp IMO. I suspect that if the ALO Island is anything like the National, then the Continental would effortlessly outclass it.

In some cases, it's not just about power, but the quality of it.

So you can probably tell that I'm regretting selling my Continental v2 a lot. If I see one crop up in the for sale section, I'll grab it in a hearbeat (so you have competition). It's just that good.

Apr 8, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #6,924 of 12,546
I got DT880 Premium 250 few days ago and just today, i got the Little Dot Mk3. I've enjoyed them quite a lot on this beautiful sunny day.

Apr 8, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #6,925 of 12,546
I have similar setup DT880 600 ohms LD MK III.
wink_face.gif

Apr 9, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #6,928 of 12,546
  I got DT880 Premium 250 few days ago and just today, i got the Little Dot Mk3. I've enjoyed them quite a lot on this beautiful sunny day.

After this, my next upgrade would be the DAC. Currently using Fiio E10. What would be a good upgrade for 100-150 USD? I'm thinking about Modi but i'm not sure how well it pairs with my existing setup.

Apr 9, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #6,929 of 12,546
I liked the Modi, thought it was pretty good and neutral, has good detail retrieval. I stuck with the Aune T1 though because I liked being able to roll tubes to change the signature. With a neutral tube in the T1, performance between T1 and the Modi were on par but I could always roll a more musical tube which I couldn't do with the Modi so I found that as more value. To each their own though. :)

Apr 9, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #6,930 of 12,546

After this, my next upgrade would be the DAC. Currently using Fiio E10. What would be a good upgrade for 100-150 USD? I'm thinking about Modi but i'm not sure how well it pairs with my existing setup.

Don't get a FiiO E17.
It's a nice product with an attractive feature set, but it's not going to get you where you want to go.
Try looking for a used iBasso D12.
It's a very definite upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back