The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Dec 9, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #5,746 of 12,546

Can we please leave the SE vs Balanced debate to another thread?  I don't know about others - but I was seriously getting sick of reading it in every post you made when I was last frequenting the thread.  If you ever do a properly controlled, volume matched, blind test between SE & Balanced ...... then PM me the NEW thread details, and I'd be happy to take a look.  Until then ...... shall we give it a rest ..... ?

I'll second that motion.

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #5,748 of 12,546

I'll third that.

I am a chartered accountant, and consequently too boring to be of interest. Nonetheless, I fourth this.

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #5,749 of 12,546

I am a chartered accountant, and consequently too boring to be of interest. Nonetheless, I fourth this.

I think at that point the motion is considered carried and passed. Do we need a birdman to come in here and make it official?
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #5,750 of 12,546

I think at that point the motion is considered carried and passed. Do we need a birdman to come in here and make it official?
biggrin.gif

Argue here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/515737/can-a-single-ended-amp-be-truly-balanced/30#post_10036610

Just in case it is NOT officially carried.................I also carry the motion.
BTW, what's a birdman?

I also submit for your approval:
we NEVER, EVER argue/debate/discuss which one of these MFs is Brighter:
DT880 or any variant whatsoever of AKG K70x, Q701 or similar derivative.

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #5,753 of 12,546
Yep. The bird swoops down when trouble stirs up.

And I think that's a good idea to nip the "which is brighter?" discussion in the bud before it gets going again. Not that I could really offer much input, since I've never heard any of the K7xx/Q701 variations. There are a rather lot of them now, aren't there? It almost makes the DTxx0 series' simple. Almost.

Wait. No it doesn't. I think I tried to wrap my head around this before. Starting with the DT880, we have the Premium series in three different impedance variations, the Pro series with one standard impedance (250 ohm) and evidently the option to have it made in a 600 ohm version as well. So that's five different DT880s (note: I'm not counting the 2003 DT880 as a separate entity--add one more to the final count if you feel differently). The DT770 Premium series was discontinued a few years ago, but it existed in three impedance versions just like the DT880, and they're all readily available used, so that's three more. There's additionally a 250 ohm Pro version, an 80 ohm Pro version, and a limited edition 32 ohm Pro version. So that's three more. We're up to 11 total models. Adding in the DT990, we have three more Premium versions, plus a 250 ohm Pro model. So we're up to 15. If any of the Pro models can be had in different impedances than I've so far listed (like, say, a 600 ohm DT990 Pro or DT770 Pro, or a 32 ohm DT880 Pro or DT990 Pro), we can add those, but I'm not sure so I'll leave them out until confirmed one way or the other. We could also add the spiritual continuation of the DT770 Premium in the form of the MMX 300 headset, which (mercifully!) exists in only one configuration, so it's a hard 16 models and a maximum of 20 total.

Beyer has gotten a hell of a lot of mileage out of this driver, cup, and headband design. And they say Windows product versions are confusing....
rolleyes.gif

Dec 10, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #5,755 of 12,546
It's the German way. Design things to be simple, utilitarian, and durable... then muck it up with paper work and bureaucracy
Nice!
Good thing I am ordering the German Maestro 8.300D's this week from the Canadian distributor... Should be a painless venture and more German headphones in the house!

Beyer's, 'Sones and GMP's oh my! :D

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #5,756 of 12,546
Nice!
Good thing I am ordering the German Maestro 8.300D's this week from the Canadian distributor... Should be a painless venture and more German headphones in the house!

Beyer's, 'Sones and GMP's oh my!
biggrin.gif

ehhh can't resist. I've been wanting to hear the GM8.3D 

Let us know how you like them! 

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #5,757 of 12,546
Hi guys, I currently own a pair of HD600s but don't like them. They just aren't exciting enough for me to get into the music. I'm not sure if the correct term is veil, but I definitely know what people are talking about when they mention it. Things get better when I turn the volume up, but not at the loss of my hearing. Therefore, I'm considering the DT880s but I have a few questions.

1. How do they compare to the HD600s in terms of sound signature?

2. I mostly listen to rock (classic, alternative, indie, folk). Think artists like Beatles, Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Stone Roses, John Mayer, Arcade Fire, Pavement, The National, but also My Bloody Valentine, Stevie Wonder, and a good bit of pop . How will the DT880s handle this kind of music?

3. There's too many options
confused.gif
Do I go for the 250/650 Pro/Premium? What's the difference?

4. If anyone has listened to one of the models from Grado, like the SR225 or SR325is, please tell me how they compare?

Forgot to add that I'll be listening through my laptop and O2 amp. No ODAC at the moment, although I'm planning on purchasing one in the near future.

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #5,758 of 12,546
Hi guys, I currently own a pair of HD600s but don't like them. They just aren't exciting enough for me to get into the music. I'm not sure if the correct term is veil, but I definitely know what people are talking about when they mention it. Things get better when I turn the volume up, but not at the loss of my hearing. Therefore, I'm considering the DT880s but I have a few questions.

2. I mostly listen to rock (classic, alternative, indie, folk). Think artists like Beatles, Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Stone Roses, John Mayer, Arcade Fire, Pavement, The National, but also My Bloody Valentine, Stevie Wonder, and a good bit of pop . How will the DT880s handle this kind of music?

3. There's too many options:confused: Do I go for the 250/650 Pro/Premium? What's the difference?

4. If anyone has listened to one of the models from Grado, like the SR225 or SR325is, please tell me how they compare?

1. The main differences that you might notice going from HD600 to DT880s :
Bass : Less impact but better textured/detail.
Mids : Recessed, thinner
Highs : More lively and detailed. Possibly hot/sibilant depending on ears and/or recording.

2. I like the 880s for indie and folk rock, blues influenced rock sounds great as well. (Arcade Fire, Black Keys, Cold War Kids, Anything by Jack White). To be honest, 880s handles a lot of genres really well. I do a lot of Soul/Pop as well like Joss Stone, Jackson 5, Al Green and the bass is enough to get your toes tapping.

3. Anything in the 250 range will do just fine. Pro vs Prem is cord (curly vs straight), design (easily removeable headband/fixed-ish headband) and clamp (tight vs loose). Just physically different. Sound is pretty much the same across the board.

4. Can't help you there.

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #5,759 of 12,546

3. There's too many options
confused.gif
Do I go for the 250/650 Pro/Premium? What's the difference?

Forgot to add that I'll be listening through my laptop and O2 amp. No ODAC at the moment, although I'm planning on purchasing one in the near future.

HD600 vs. Grado!

I think the opinion is ALMOST universal:
Grado. Is. brighter.
Some folks can't stand HD600 and HD650 'cos they're too dark.
OTOH some folks can't stand Grados 'cos they're too bright.
Grado must be heard before you buy, people who like the Grado sound LOVE the Grado sound.
The SR-325 is one of the very brightest Grados.
You can drive Grados from almost anything.

Notice I didn't compare them to AKG Q701s?     
tongue.gif

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #5,760 of 12,546
Good to see a couple of useful responses. I've narrowed it down to the DT-880s and SR325is, but am having quite a hard time choosing between the two. It's unlikely that I'll get the chance to hear either before I buy, and will definitely be getting rid of my HD600s once my new cans arrive (I want to compare them first). It's just that I really don't know which ones to go for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back