The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Dec 9, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #5,731 of 12,546

That said, I'd like to get all my headphones cabled with Mini XLRs for an easy detchable balanced set up... doubt I will though >.>. But I've got upgrade in the future all of which are poteintial canidiates for BTG mini XLR Detachble upgrade canidate upon purchase :3

Just do it yourself.  Not exactly difficult.  Hardest part is making sure the mini-xlr socket is in right spot, and doesn't interfere on the inside.

Dec 9, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #5,732 of 12,546

Just do it yourself.  Not exactly difficult.  Hardest part is making sure the mini-xlr socket is in right spot, and doesn't interfere on the inside.

Booo

I'm not a DIY guy ever! I have to many things to do as it is! I'm about to take over a PC repair shop so my time for DIY projects is soon to be out the window! I might purchase a cheap headphone and fiddle during the summer... MAYBE

Other wise I'd rather pay the $70 it cost for Brain at BTG to do it. Best of all I would only need one cable 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-304-iems-compared-clear-tune-monitors-wls-5-added-12-05-13-p-818

The iem thread, if you want a DT 880 in IEM forum, that would be the best place to start looking ! 

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #5,733 of 12,546
Multiple detachable cables made from different high quality materials, will make you a believer that cables do make a difference.  Stock cables on headphones are meh!  The manufacturers use cheap materials in their cables, knowing that the serious owner will upgrade to a high end cable.  They are out to please the mainstream at a minimum cost!  Reference the DoubleHelixCables Faceboot page, and the picture of the HD700 stock cable, and the Peptide wire available from DHC.  The stock cable is well reinforced, but a custom cable is hard to beat.  Sennheiser listened to the HD800 (at a meet in England) with the high end silver Venom cable from Toxic Cables, and commented that it was quite an improvement over the stock cable, for example!

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #5,734 of 12,546
  Multiple detachable cables made from different high quality materials, will make you a believer that cables do make a difference.  Stock cables on headphones are meh!  The manufacturers use cheap materials in their cables, knowing that the serious owner will upgrade to a high end cable.  They are out to please the mainstream at a minimum cost!  Reference the DoubleHelixCables Faceboot page, and the picture of the HD700 stock cable, and the Peptide wire available from DHC.  The stock cable is well reinforced, but a custom cable is hard to beat.  Sennheiser listened to the HD800 (at a meet in England) with the high end silver Venom cable from Toxic Cables, and commented that it was quite an improvement over the stock cable, for example!

I have not verified my self weather it's the cable so much as it was the change in my amp, BUT I did notice with a Silver Copper Hybrid Toxic Cable, my HE 400 had an equally detailed but smoother top end.

Either way, my DT 880 is recabled, and my D2k has a D7k Stock Cable [which shouldn't suck that much] Either way, when I get some cash I'm going to recable and balance my D2k and W1000x. Most likely without detachable cables at this point. What I may end up doing is, when I go for the de tachable mini XLR. Take my DT 880s Cable [a nice copper built by Zombie X] and use that as the basis for detachables... I might have brian make one of his Cables Detachble a well [or both] and sell off the extra one [or heck keep it for kicks and giggles]

either way I do like upgraded cables, I've noticed a nice [but small] increase in detail from them. Just need to wait till I can get le cash for it all [only about $200 do recable the D2k W1000x and build one Cable for them with Detachbles, the same price for 2 hard line cables in both headphones [without detachables] Think I might do them one at a time, hard line for now. 

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #5,735 of 12,546
Back on board - 250ohm Premium DT880's arrived today (thank you Head-Fi FS section).  Didn't realise how much I missed the DT880 until I got them back.

As I suspected - the 250 ohm definitely the sweet spot for me.  Can be driven portably by my Studio V3 Anniversary - and still sound great out of the NFB-12, and amazing out of the LD MKIV.

Nice to be back again.

I take it I haven't missed much since unsubscribing (when I sold the 600ohm a few months ago)?  Is Mshenay still prattling on about 'balanced is better' in every post?  (I kid :p  )
Welcome back! We knew you'd come back. :D Shenay now has back up in knightboy. :p lol I've been looking at maybe swapping my Prem 600s for the 250s as well since my OTL amp is my office rig and getting another tube amp at home while I have a 3 year old sounds like a really bad idea. The only thing that I have at home that can run it semi-decently is the onkyo receiver, O2 and the Tubemagic A1. Can't plug straight into my portable sources. :frowning2: You've sold the Shure 1840s?? I was tempted to pick them up too since you noted a similarity before between them and the 880s.

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #5,737 of 12,546
I use something similar to this concept with the mini XLR's, direct wire to the cups with the DT880, DT990 and others....makes all 8 of my 8 wire cables interchangeable....most don't believe a cable makes a difference.....good upstream gears are needed first.  Most would never go to this extent, but I have built and listened to many many cables over the past year, and believe for me this is the way to go, instead of changing DAC, Amp and headphone continuously.  I have settled on the DT880 600 ohm, DT990 600 ohm, HD580, HD700 using this method.  Sold my T90 in favor of the HD700, good decision for me, T90 had an unnatural sound IMO.  DT880 scales up with high end pure copper, or high end pure silver wire....most SPC (silver in the name only, is not pure silver), is a cheaper solution that muddles the sound to these ears, such as the stock HD700 cable!

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #5,738 of 12,546
  I use something similar to this concept with the mini XLR's, direct wire to the cups with the DT880, DT990 and others....makes all 8 of my 8 wire cables interchangeable....most don't believe a cable makes a difference.....good upstream gears are needed first.  Most would never go to this extent, but I have built and listened to many many cables over the past year, and believe for me this is the way to go, instead of changing DAC, Amp and headphone continuously.  I have settled on the DT880 600 ohm, DT990 600 ohm, HD580, HD700 using this method.  Sold my T90 in favor of the HD700, good decision for me, T90 had an unnatural sound IMO.  DT880 scales up with high end pure copper, or high end pure silver wire....most SPC (silver in the name only, is not pure silver), is a cheaper solution that muddles the sound to these ears, such as the stock HD700 cable!

Would the earpads of the T90 have any influence on the sound? Will changing it to a DT880 pad remove the "unnaturalness" that you perceive?

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #5,739 of 12,546
Tried new DT880 pads and DT990 pads on the T90....didn't like the T90 with either, change to the sound was detrimental. Tried the T90 pads on both the DT880 and DT990.....ugh! DT880 pads work well on the Takstar HI2050 though. I tried to like the T90, but kept the DT990 600 ohm, and traded them for the HD700....not looking back on that one. Might purchase the T90 again if I found them for $300, which is what I feel is what they are worth!

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #5,740 of 12,546
Tried new DT880 pads and DT990 pads on the T90....didn't like the T90 with either, change to the sound was detrimental. Tried the T90 pads on both the DT880 and DT990.....ugh! DT880 pads work well on the Takstar HI2050 though. I tried to like the T90, but kept the DT990 600 ohm, and traded them for the HD700....not looking back on that one. Might purchase the T90 again if I found them for $300, which is what I feel is what they are worth!

I see. Between the DT880 pads and the T90 pads, which do you think are more comfortable?

Dec 9, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #5,742 of 12,546
I have to admit the sound of the DT 880 is simmilar to what I remember from stock. I never got the chance to listen to a Stock cable vs my Copper Cable.

I did how ever listen to SE vs Balanced, and like Knightboy said [WOOT SUPPORTERS] balanced kick SE in the tushy! The 880 sounds more Coherent balanced! 

But anyways, I want to do what Cute did, Modular cable everything and test for my self Stock vs Custom which cbales make a difference. ANd I have no reseverations, heck if stock sounds as good as Custom, I can sell the customs and save some money! Ofc is customs sound better than money well spent. Either way I'll win in the end. 

Dec 9, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #5,744 of 12,546
  I did how ever listen to SE vs Balanced, and like Knightboy said [WOOT SUPPORTERS] balanced kick SE in the tushy! The 880 sounds more Coherent balanced! 

Can we please leave the SE vs Balanced debate to another thread?  I don't know about others - but I was seriously getting sick of reading it in every post you made when I was last frequenting the thread.  If you ever do a properly controlled, volume matched, blind test between SE & Balanced ...... then PM me the NEW thread details, and I'd be happy to take a look.  Until then ...... shall we give it a rest ..... ?

Welcome back! We knew you'd come back.
biggrin.gif
Shenay now has back up in knightboy.
tongue.gif
lol I've been looking at maybe swapping my Prem 600s for the 250s as well since my OTL amp is my office rig and getting another tube amp at home while I have a 3 year old sounds like a really bad idea. The only thing that I have at home that can run it semi-decently is the onkyo receiver, O2 and the Tubemagic A1. Can't plug straight into my portable sources.
frown.gif
You've sold the Shure 1840s?? I was tempted to pick them up too since you noted a similarity before between them and the 880s.

The SRH1840s were closer to the HD600s than the DT880s.  Sort of like a flatter (more neutral, but less natural) HD600.  Marvelous headphones - and I see they are coming down to a more realistic level nowadays.  Around the $400 mark they'd definitely be worth considering.

To all - sorry if I inadvertently triggered the cable discussion again - definitely didn't mean to!  My comment regarding converting to detachable had more to do with:
 + the fact that I don't like the stock DT880 cable (too long and doesn't coil nicely).
 + so I could have choice of long and short cables depending on what I was doing and where I was wearing them
 + my desire to tinker

I've DBT'd Mogami Star-quad vs stock, as well as dual conductor for each terminal vs single.  I couldn't tell the difference.  Of course this is probably because I have tin-ears, and my upstream components aren't good enough.  But I'm happy with that - at least I have tested and know my own personal limits.  Others will vary.  My only desire to change cables is for aesthetics and practicality 
wink.gif

........ back on topic ..........

I was surprised (once again) how good the DT880 sounded out of my LD MKIV.  Thought the impedance might not be a perfect match (I think the LD is around 40-50 ohms from the H/P-Out).  But they sounded wonderful.  Truly versatile ..... the 250 ohm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back