The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Dec 10, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #5,761 of 12,546
  Good to see a couple of useful responses. I've narrowed it down to the DT-880s and SR325is, but am having quite a hard time choosing between the two. It's unlikely that I'll get the chance to hear either before I buy, and will definitely be getting rid of my HD600s once my new cans arrive (I want to compare them first). It's just that I really don't know which ones to go for.

Owned both.

325i = bright, very detailed, energetic (fast), smallish sound stage (ie you are up there with the musicians), bass is punchy - but mostly mid-bass, forward mid-range and upper mids, if you're not used to Grado fit - can become uncomfortable.  Can be driven from almost anything.

DT880 = bright, very detailed, a little slower than the Grados, medium sound stage, bass is well textured, extends further, and is relatively balanced.  Very neutral cans.  Some say mid-range is recessed - I say it isn't, it's just not forward like the Grados or HD600.  Very, very comfortable.  Assuming you get the 250 ohm - really needs amplification.  Only go 600ohm if you have an OTL tube or reasonably powerful SS amp.  Honestly 250 ohm is more versatile anyway. 

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #5,762 of 12,546
  Good to see a couple of useful responses. I've narrowed it down to the DT-880s and SR325is, but am having quite a hard time choosing between the two. It's unlikely that I'll get the chance to hear either before I buy, and will definitely be getting rid of my HD600s once my new cans arrive (I want to compare them first). It's just that I really don't know which ones to go for.

Let me know when you decide to get rid of your HD600s. I may need to audition them one more time but I've been considering a pair for awhile now and want to mod the cable to see if I can lift the "veil." The first time I've ever heard the HD600s I was unimpressed either due to the source or lack or synergy with the user's headphone amp. I felt that a better amp could have done them more justice. I noticed the very present mids however and apparent lack of "detail" or treble extension. I really want to give them another go with some aftermarket cabling.

Dec 10, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #5,763 of 12,546
I'm a bit late to the punch, but I can comment on my time with the SR225i, since I had them right before I got my DT880. The SR225i is noticeably colored compared to the DT880, with a midbass bump, a bump around 2 kHz, and elevated and somewhat uneven treble. However, on both ends it's noticeably rolled off (little deep bass, very little upper treble). This all results in a punchy, forward sound with lots of mid-treble sparkle. The sound stage, as Brooko mentioned, is intimate rather than spacious, though the imaging is good enough that it manages to cram everything into that space without any obvious crowding.

Comfort is a well known issue with the supra-aural Grados, though some people manage to either get used to the fit or else never have any problems with it at all. I wasn't one of them, unfortunately, and the usual advice of bending the metal bits in order to loosen things up didn't do much for me. Your miles may most certainly vary.

Even though you're looking more at the SR325is at the moment, all the Prestige Grados more or less share the traits that I've described, though of course with differences (usually in the treble, which affects the overall balance). The SR325is is usually described as brighter than the SR225i, for instance. The overall sonic signature, however, is strong across all of them and is very distinctive. They're usually a love-it-or-hate-it kind of thing, sometimes even from genre to genre. I loved mine for 80s synth pop and (oddly enough) small ensemble choral, found them decent for classic/mainstream rock (nice guitars and vocal rendering), but felt they were utterly useless for classical.

The DT880, on the other hand, is a genre master. It's still on the bright side, but it lacks any obvious coloration, is better extended in both directions, and has a more spacious presentation. It might not convey the beat with quite the immediacy of a Grado, but as a fan of classic rock myself, I can tell you that the DT880 is plenty quick enough.

One of its great strengths (or weaknesses, depending on how you feel) is that it doesn't add very much of itself to anything it plays. On the one hand, this means you're hearing a slightly bright but otherwise accurate picture of what's actually on the recording. On the other hand, if you're not used to this sort of approach it might sound a bit underwhelming at first. It's only after you've spent a little time with it that you realize just how colored everything else you were used to really was. Whether you prefer the DT880's neutral approach or if you like some color and character is entirely a personal choice, of course, but it's always good to experience both at least once in order to work out which one works better for you.

Dec 10, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #5,764 of 12,546
Hi guys, I currently own a pair of HD600s but don't like them. They just aren't exciting enough for me to get into the music. I'm not sure if the correct term is veil, but I definitely know what people are talking about when they mention it. Things get better when I turn the volume up, but not at the loss of my hearing.

I'll add to this since I've had HD650 and k701 (sold both). My keepers in dynamic cans are Grado RS1i and recently purchased DT880 Pro (250).

Your comment about the 600 hits home--I had a couple evenings when I thought the 650s were the most realistic top to bottom I ever heard, but after about an hour realized I was listening way too loud.

Most of the comments here about Grados are right on. In short, they are lively and up front, Row A vs. Row J. Fantastic on jazz trios, acoustic strings, vocals, etc. Bill Evans, for example, boring on laid back cans, "you are there" on Grados. Love em, but downside - they can be SHOUTY on complex, larger scale music. I do, however, think that my Valhalla is not ideal as it's also lively and up front. Too much like + like.

On the other hand, the Valhalla loves the DT880, and I really like these cans. Texture and timbre, solid bottom end, really fast attack, and great dynamic swings. Comfy too. Thought I wouldn't like the coiled cable but really do. They are underpriced for what you get. (I got mint used for $180).

Oh, wanna try Grados cheap? Get an SR60. Still at the absurd price of $80 I believe, and it is the basic Grado house sound. Arguably the best cheap headphone on the planet. Mine were $60 many years ago and are still kicking around - they just won't do much wrong.

Dec 10, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #5,766 of 12,546

One important thing, Beyer DT880s are ULTRA comfortable.
You can wear them for days.
IMHO many other headphones fail this test.

Dec 10, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #5,767 of 12,546
Thanks for all the help. I'm actually leaning towards Grados now, either the SR225i, SR325i or RS2i (RS2i might be a bit too expensive though). Should probably post in a Grado thread now, but has anyone else (nice explanation, Argyris, by the way) owned/listened to all three?

Dec 10, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #5,768 of 12,546
Picked up a pair of 600 ohm DT880 Manufaktur's during the Beyer X-mas sale.  :)

Did you get them yet? How long did it take? Assuming you're in U.S.

Dec 10, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #5,769 of 12,546
Yep, I'm in the U.S.  I didn't receive them yet.  This is the e-mail I got yesterday from Beyer:

Thank you for your order!

your two headphones are currently being built!

We will ship them out as soon as possible.

Please contact me with any questions or concerns.

Have a wonderful day!

Dec 10, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #5,772 of 12,546
  May I know can you hear any sound different between 32 ohm & 250 ohm DT880 when amplified (portable amp) and adjust to right volume?

If the portable amp impedence output is under 4 ohms they should be very similar at level matched volume as reported by some here . I can confirm for the 250/600 ohms , but never tried the 32 ohms ...

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #5,774 of 12,546
I'll add to this since I've had HD650 and k701 (sold both). My keepers in dynamic cans are Grado RS1i and recently purchased DT880 Pro (250).

Your comment about the 600 hits home--I had a couple evenings when I thought the 650s were the most realistic top to bottom I ever heard, but after about an hour realized I was listening way too loud.

Most of the comments here about Grados are right on. In short, they are lively and up front, Row A vs. Row J. Fantastic on jazz trios, acoustic strings, vocals, etc. Bill Evans, for example, boring on laid back cans, "you are there" on Grados. Love em, but downside - they can be SHOUTY on complex, larger scale music. I do, however, think that my Valhalla is not ideal as it's also lively and up front. Too much like + like.

On the other hand, the Valhalla loves the DT880, and I really like these cans. Texture and timbre, solid bottom end, really fast attack, and great dynamic swings. Comfy too. Thought I wouldn't like the coiled cable but really do. They are underpriced for what you get. (I got mint used for $180).

Oh, wanna try Grados cheap? Get an SR60. Still at the absurd price of $80 I believe, and it is the basic Grado house sound. Arguably the best cheap headphone on the planet. Mine were $60 many years ago and are still kicking around - they just won't do much wrong.

Have to agree with almost everything. My Valhalla and 880 combination was excellent, as was using an HF2 with the Valhalla. There is a poster a few posts above who was leaning toward the Grado sound, and while I liked the Grado sound (owned 125, 225i, HF2, and briefly had a RS1) I would feel very comfortable saying that the 880 will best any of the Grado cans close to the same price. I loved metal, classic rock with the 880s and did not feel the Grado sound was better. As mentioned above, the Grados will become harsh and bright with a great deal of material as so much music is hot-mastered. The 880s scale very well to many genres and are a very, very good all rounder. You really can't go wrong with an 880, but if they aren't for you flip them, mine sold in two days. I wish I still had them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back