The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Dec 10, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #5,777 of 12,548
  What other parts of the HP are you able to change color? Grill, pads, headband?

For the DT880, you can customize the following:

Housing
Mounting
End Piece
Headband
Ear Pads
Yoke
Aluring (short for aluminum ring)

But, don't take my word for it.  Try it for yourself here:  http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/dt-880-manufaktur.html

Damn, they should be paying me for this.  LoL.

Dec 11, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #5,778 of 12,548
Look @Mshenay
My MK IV is using the same driver tube as your MK VI+ will have...

Cheap Soviet 6H9C Dual Triode made by the Saratov Reflektor factory in '75 mounted in my DIY octal adapter.

Listening to Paul Simon's Graceland 25th Annivesary Edition on the DT880 Pro's and for an inexpensive tube (I picked up 4 for $9 from Romania) it actually sounds quite good.
beerchug.gif

Dec 11, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #5,779 of 12,548
Have to agree with almost everything. My Valhalla and 880 combination was excellent, as was using an HF2 with the Valhalla. There is a poster a few posts above who was leaning toward the Grado sound, and while I liked the Grado sound (owned 125, 225i, HF2, and briefly had a RS1) I would feel very comfortable saying that the 880 will best any of the Grado cans close to the same price. I loved metal, classic rock with the 880s and did not feel the Grado sound was better. As mentioned above, the Grados will become harsh and bright with a great deal of material as so much music is hot-mastered. The 880s scale very well to many genres and are a very, very good all rounder. You really can't go wrong with an 880, but if they aren't for you flip them, mine sold in two days. I wish I still had them.

What dawned on me in the last few days is -- they are transparent without being upfront & forward. Though lots of credit to the synergy with those Russian 6n6p tubes directly driving the 880s. A superb combination.

Dec 11, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #5,780 of 12,548
Look @Mshenay

Cheap Soviet 6H9C Dual Triode made by the Saratov Reflektor factory in '75 mounted in my DIY octal adapter.

Listening to Paul Simon's Graceland 25th Annivesary Edition on the DT880 Pro's and for an inexpensive tube (I picked up 4 for $9 from Romania) it actually sounds quite good.
:beerchug:

Thumbs up on your workmanship! Looks bizarre - ly cool too!

Dec 11, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #5,781 of 12,548
Dec 11, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #5,782 of 12,548

Have to agree with almost everything. My Valhalla and 880 combination was excellent, as was using an HF2 with the Valhalla. There is a poster a few posts above who was leaning toward the Grado sound, and while I liked the Grado sound (owned 125, 225i, HF2, and briefly had a RS1) I would feel very comfortable saying that the 880 will best any of the Grado cans close to the same price. I loved metal, classic rock with the 880s and did not feel the Grado sound was better. As mentioned above, the Grados will become harsh and bright with a great deal of material as so much music is hot-mastered. The 880s scale very well to many genres and are a very, very good all rounder. You really can't go wrong with an 880, but if they aren't for you flip them, mine sold in two days. I wish I still had them.

I can agree with this as well, I really like Metal on the DT 880, plenty of speed and a great sound stage. I drive mine from a SS as well, although I just got a hybrid tube. And honestly I feel the DT 880 sounds good on both. I prefer Solid State, but I do find that for my tastes, I like a Tube better when I'm listening to rock or vocals on my DT 880

Dec 11, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #5,783 of 12,548
  Look @Mshenay

beerchug.gif

wow that is pretty awesome :O, you really ought to sell some of your copper work! It's all very good. And that is a pretty epic looking MK  IV... is it still covered under warrenty like that lol 

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #5,784 of 12,548
  May I know can you hear any sound different between 32 ohm & 250 ohm DT880 when amplified (portable amp) and adjust to right volume?

No, they should sound the same.

I will know for certain tomorrow when my 32 ohm DT880 arrives and I compare it to my 250 ohm DT880 Pro but no, you shouldn't expect any audible differences between the different ohm versions aside from standard driver variance or if you are using a high output impedance amp like an OTL tube amp which you obviously aren't.

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #5,785 of 12,548

No, they should sound the same.

I will know for certain tomorrow when my 32 ohm DT880 arrives and I compare it to my 250 ohm DT880 Pro but no, you shouldn't expect any audible differences between the different ohm versions aside from standard driver variance or if you are using a high output impedance amp like an OTL tube amp which you obviously aren't.

The thing with the pro is that the headband clamp more than the standard edition , at least out of the box . And more clamp will result in slighly more forward sounding a bit more bass too and a bit smaler soundstage .

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:58 AM Post #5,786 of 12,548
The thing with the pro is that the headband clamp more than the standard edition , at least out of the box . And more clamp will result in slighly more forward sounding a bit more bass too and a bit smaler soundstage .

This is true. I will attempt to pinpoint how much of a difference that causes.

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #5,787 of 12,548
  wow that is pretty awesome :O, you really ought to sell some of your copper work! It's all very good. And that is a pretty epic looking MK  IV... is it still covered under warrenty like that lol 

Thanks!
The pipe is just an adapter with a socket on top and pins on the bottom, no modifications to the amp at all. 

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #5,788 of 12,548

Thanks!
The pipe is just an adapter with a socket on top and pins on the bottom, no modifications to the amp at all. 

That's what I figured, although isn't copper conductive of electricty? Are you using the Entire Copper structure as part of the circuit or are you running wires through the inside? 

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #5,789 of 12,548
  That's what I figured, although isn't copper conductive of electricty? Are you using the Entire Copper structure as part of the circuit or are you running wires through the inside? 

Just wires on the inside, the pipe acts as a nice shield, sort of an extension to the case.

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #5,790 of 12,548
  Thanks for all the help. I'm actually leaning towards Grados now, either the SR225i, SR325i or RS2i (RS2i might be a bit too expensive though). Should probably post in a Grado thread now, but has anyone else (nice explanation, Argyris, by the way) owned/listened to all three?

I've heard all three,
Grados are fairly straightforward, the more you spend, the better they sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back