The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Dec 8, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #5,716 of 12,546
  SCHIIT VALI! 

I just ordered one, I'll let you know how it sounds with my DT 880 soon, but it's getting positive reports with the dt 880 :3 and BUY AMERICAN, screw supporting those Chinnese OEMS and companies! AMERICA ftw, that and honestly... I'm sure LD isn't as bad, but those Bravo, Indeed, and other off name Chinnese hybrids in the $100 price range have a rather poor build quality. For $137 u get an American made Hybrid Tube with like a 3 year warrenty, and a very fast turn around! Anything from china and IF it breaks.... going to be weeks before u get it back with the transit [HYPE TRAIN CHUGA CHUGA CHUGA CHUGA WOOOT WOOOOOOT]

Still though, feel free to wait a week for my impressions. I expect it to drive my 600 ohm dt 880 nicely, should drive a 250 ohm just as nice if not better! 

I have also been looking at the Vali.  I am definitely interested in your impressions, and I can definitely wait a while before ordering an amp.

Dec 8, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #5,717 of 12,546
  yea I liked the isolation they offered on my W1000x, but the bass was to much for me on those

And your getting a D2k......
confused_face_2.gif
 The W1000x with Alpha/J-money pads still retains more midrange then my Lawton modded D7ks.

Dec 8, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #5,718 of 12,546
  And your getting a D2k......
confused_face_2.gif
 The W1000x with Alpha/J-money pads still retains more midrange then my Lawton modded D7ks.

Oh fearless, the D2k is my EDM headphone. I could care less about Mids in EDM all about dat BASSY BABY

that said, the J$ on my EVERYTHING but EDM w1000x was a bad idea... it sounded like I was listening to a D2k with no sub bass lol

Again the D2k is my Closed back EDM can, it will perform the same function my HE 400 did, EDM all day EVERY DAY, half my collection is edm, and the PB1 and HM801 are very mid friendly, so it should work out just fine. 

Dec 8, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #5,719 of 12,546
  Oh fearless, the D2k is my EDM headphone. I could care less about Mids in EDM all about dat BASSY BABY

that said, the J$ on my EVERYTHING but EDM w1000x was a bad idea... it sounded like I was listening to a D2k with no sub bass lol

Again the D2k is my Closed back EDM can, it will perform the same function my HE 400 did, EDM all day EVERY DAY, half my collection is edm, and the PB1 and HM801 are very mid friendly, so it should work out just fine.

Then we must both have different W1000x, mine had a major increase in sub bass.

Dec 8, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #5,720 of 12,546
  Audio GD and Little Dot are not typical Chinese OEMS, I said those Orphan OEM companies,
but yea I know I'm a hypocrit... what should I call the makers of Bravo, Indeed and that Third wierd Chinnese Tube Company... ChopShopChina Oems? the CSC Oems for short... screw them! THey do a diservice to the fine boys at Hifiman Little Dot and Audio GD...

But valid point, and as always, honestly ur pretty chill about correcting me <3 thanks for that :D oh

HOW THEM ePADS

This is just jingoism if I'm completely honest with you. It's kind of disgusting. 

Dec 9, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #5,721 of 12,546
  This is just jingoism if I'm completely honest with you. It's kind of disgusting. 

U have a pm

Fearless I modded my w1000x a little differently than I should have, I covered over a small portion of those Ports at theback of the wood hoseuing. Which leveled out the bass but reduced it some. I didn't really test the J$ for very long, I just wasn't a fan of how they sounded outside of edm, I may have listened to one song that dipped as low as 40hrz, and there wasn't as much sub bass as the he 400 I had next to me at the time Again may have been from how I modded it

In retro spect, ppl have claimed the D2k stock is on par with the DT 990, and t he STock D5k to the HE 400, a few members on the D2/D5k thread feel, the D2k with the wood back and upgraded cable is esstianlly a D5k. ORgeionan sold his D5k for that reason.

Non the less, I'm still suprised how well my DT 880 does with EDM after a little eq

Dec 9, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #5,722 of 12,546
Back on board - 250ohm Premium DT880's arrived today (thank you Head-Fi FS section).  Didn't realise how much I missed the DT880 until I got them back.

As I suspected - the 250 ohm definitely the sweet spot for me.  Can be driven portably by my Studio V3 Anniversary - and still sound great out of the NFB-12, and amazing out of the LD MKIV.

Nice to be back again.

I take it I haven't missed much since unsubscribing (when I sold the 600ohm a few months ago)?  Is Mshenay still prattling on about 'balanced is better' in every post?  (I kid 
tongue.gif
 )

Dec 9, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #5,723 of 12,546
  Back on board - 250ohm Premium DT880's arrived today (thank you Head-Fi FS section).  Didn't realise how much I missed the DT880 until I got them back.

As I suspected - the 250 ohm definitely the sweet spot for me.  Can be driven portably by my Studio V3 Anniversary - and still sound great out of the NFB-12, and amazing out of the LD MKIV.

Nice to be back again.

I take it I haven't missed much since unsubscribing (when I sold the 600ohm a few months ago)?  Is Mshenay still prattling on about 'balanced is better' in every post?  (I kid 
tongue.gif
 )

nah, I'm apparently a Jingoist now lol

hey I just got a Schiit Vali, for my new office job! So I'll be using my DT 880 SE again, not to mention while my still in bounds d2k is balanced the w1000x is still single end. meaning I'll be STUCK with se for at least another year :3

Not to mention my entire oh nvm, balanced amp for portable dt 880 use <3 a shame the PB1 doesn't sonically pair well with the dt 880, both have emphaasized upper mids... great for guitars not so much for trumpets... need an RSA Sr71B already

Dec 9, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #5,724 of 12,546
Somehow I knew you'd be back. You weren't too happy about sending your other pair off, so I figured it would be just a matter of time.

Welcome back! 
smile.gif

Dec 9, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #5,726 of 12,546
If I want the sound signature like in DT880 but in IEM form, which model do you recommend?
Sorry if this question sounds a bit strange.

I'd love to see some suggestions here, too! I've heard that the Fischer DBA-02 is supposed to be reasonably close. I've also seen the various Etymotic models recommended, but I would think they'd have too much midrange.

Dec 9, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #5,727 of 12,546
  Somehow I knew you'd be back. You weren't too happy about sending your other pair off, so I figured it would be just a matter of time.

Welcome back! 
smile.gif

Indeed, he missed my Ba;anced rants apprently. SPeaking of which, nice on getting back to the 250 Pro. 
If I want the sound signature like in DT880 but in IEM form, which model do you recommend?
Sorry if this question sounds a bit strange.

some one got a link to lJokers IEM thread... I'm sure he would know the answer to this

Dec 9, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #5,728 of 12,546

Welcome back! 
smile.gif

Thanks Arg. Funny thing is I've only had them back for a few hours, and I'm already thinking of recabling (removable - mini xlr) - so that I can switch between short and long. Did miss them though - and very pleased to have them back again.

Dec 9, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #5,729 of 12,546
  Are these any good for music production?

Yeah they are pretty popular for music production. They have a slight treble peak that may or may not be to your liking but its not a deal breaker for music production and other than that they are extremely neutral.

Dec 9, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #5,730 of 12,546

Welcome back! 
smile.gif

Thanks Arg. Funny thing is I've only had them back for a few hours, and I'm already thinking of recabling (removable - mini xlr) - so that I can switch between short and long. Did miss them though - and very pleased to have them back again.

I know the feeling, I lived with a dt 990 for 4 months, and I enjoyed it. I was happy to have the dt 880 back when I got it.

That said, I'd like to get all my headphones cabled with Mini XLRs for an easy detchable balanced set up... doubt I will though >.>. But I've got upgrade in the future all of which are poteintial canidiates for BTG mini XLR Detachble upgrade canidate upon purchase :3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back