The BEST full sized headphones for $30 USD or less (updated Nov. 27 2013)?
Sep 21, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #331 of 411
They're surely removable. But if you change the pads to something else, you'll change the sound too. 

I've read sound reflections can be reduced /deadened by modding the back chambers of the headphones / cups with felt.

Quote:
You guys think I could change out the ear pads? Or are they non-removable?

Sep 22, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #333 of 411
[size=9pt]The Maxell's are a far sight better than the KSC75 and I compared them to the Denon 1001's at Listen Up Audio here in Colorado Springs and preferred the Maxells... Now ljokerl disagrees with me on this but I'm not too sure that he did a side by side like I did. As a matter of fact the only thing they had in the shop that I preferred over the Maxell's were the Grado's.[/size]
[size=9pt] [/size]
[size=9pt]The Maxell's are the real deal. Believe it or not but if you ordered a pair you will soon find out.[/size]
[size=9pt][/size]
[size=9pt]Happy listening.
smily_headphones1.gif
[/size]

Sep 22, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #335 of 411
Oli, |joker| rates the Maxells quite highly but he rates the Beyerdynamic DT231 higher still.

Do you agree with this assessment? when you say the Maxells were bested by Grados, which Grados? SR60 / 80 / 125?

I almost bought the DT231's on the strength of |joker|'s review to replace my old HD495's but then realized that I'm not sure if the DT231 is any better. So I've decided to amp my 495's first and see if there's a discernable improvement.

Sep 22, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #336 of 411
^You say the Grados where better? how? Grado to me means overly efficient treble, typically a bad thing for me as I tend towards smoothness. Grados just seem to polish over all the bass with a hugely imbalanced FR.

Sep 23, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #337 of 411
[size=9pt]I've actually never heard Grado until the day I did that comparison because of all the reports of Grado phone's overbearing highs. One of the two things that a phone can do to make me want to throw it straight in the trash is to have annoyingly sibilant, piercing highs. The Grado's I listened to were as smooth as any reasonably extended phone I have heard. They were the SR225i and the SR325i. Both sounded fantastic, both had wonderfully smooth yet extended highs and both had me wondering What people were talking about. [/size]
[size=9pt] [/size]
[size=9pt]Seriously, if the highs on the SR325i's bother you then maybe you ought to just buy some old vintage phones with cone tweeters or something. I know this - they'll be my next high-er-end purchase; I love 'em.[/size]
[size=9pt] [/size]
[size=9pt] [/size]
[size=9pt]Sorry, I haven't heard those particular Beyers so I can't compare them to the Maxell's. [/size]
[size=9pt] [/size]
[size=9pt]In the end what I would say is that the Maxell’s were not shamed by any phone that I listened to that day or by any phone I own (and I own a shed load). [/size]
[size=9pt] [/size]
[size=9pt]IMO if they would sell they belong in the $150 price range. It is also my opinion that if these said JVC on the side of them that they'd be all we'd be hearing about for months on end but since they're Maxell's... Oh well, their loss and more $20 SHIPPED sales for me.[/size]

Sep 23, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #338 of 411
So after more usage with the Pioneers I've become weary of more possible issues of pain. Though the discomfort was only in my left wear, so that's interesting.

So the few hours I used them at home on my computer were okay pain wise, but I couldn't really use them for long without rest when I was on a plane yesterday.

Ugh.

Sep 24, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #339 of 411
one of the biggest drawbacks to maxell is a horrible quality rep. looking over amazon reviews, all one reads is 'it broke'

Sep 24, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #340 of 411

Quote:
one of the biggest drawbacks to maxell is a horrible quality rep. looking over amazon reviews, all one reads is 'it broke'

we've been through this...several people on this forum now have the maxell's and no one has any idea how the hell those customers could have broken their HP's... i've had mine for a while now and they are still doing great..the build seems fine to me as long as you dont toss em around, and treat them with the care they should be treated with anyway!  i wouldnt worry that much about those reviews.. just my view on that (as an owner of the maxells)

Sep 24, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #341 of 411
I don't know, but I suspect the Maxell DHP-II has plastic instead of metal bands that attach the ear cups to the headband. And if it is plastic, then I consider the accounts posted on Amazon to be quite credible. Plastic is susceptible to fracturing, but metal does not break and is far more adjustable by bending. An example of plastic = HD280, known to fracture. An example of metal = D1001. Examples of metal bands not being adjusted properly and the plastic fracturing = see the link in my sig.

Quote:
we've been through this...several people on this forum now have the maxell's and no one has any idea how the hell those customers could have broken their HP's...

Sep 25, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #342 of 411
Quote:
1Time said:

I don't know, but I suspect the Maxell DHP-II has plastic instead of metal bands that attach the ear cups to the headband. And if it is plastic, then I consider the accounts posted on Amazon to be quite credible. Plastic is susceptible to fracturing, but metal does not break and is far more adjustable by bending. An example of plastic = HD280, known to fracture. An example of metal = D1001. Examples of metal bands not being adjusted properly and the plastic fracturing = see the link in my sig.

I understand what you're saying there.. But again, let's remember these are ~20 dollars, yet they sound like they are worth more than that (in my opinion, and others)!  I still stand by the statement that you should really treat these headphones with care, and they will treat you well.  Seriously, you gotta be pretty rough to break them (I think/according to my standards).

Sep 25, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #343 of 411

Quote:
Quote:

I understand what you're saying there.. But again, let's remember these are ~20 dollars, yet they sound like they are worth more than that (in my opinion, and others)!  I still stand by the statement that you should really treat these headphones with care, and they will treat you well.  Seriously, you gotta be pretty rough to break them (I think/according to my standards).

Where are you seeing these for $20 other then Ebay? I've been looking to find them for CHEAP without much luck. Two companies are selling them on Amazon Marketplace for $28.99, but I don't trust them. The average list price on Amazon is $40. One moron is actually trying to sell them for $80.

It seems that people are not willing to believe their cheap product will break and is un-reliable until it actually happens to them. I own a cheap Vizio 32" LCD TV for a bedroom that I got for next to nothing and I could hear a ton of complaints about them going bad and I wouldn't believe it. It's been running like a tank for at least four years now. It seems all TVs fail, even my old 42" Sony Wega went dead. For Televisions I almost always get a service plan though. It's 100% worth it if it's a $400+ TV.

I didn't trust the reviews though on the Bose Triports (first headphone back when I didn't know much) when I bought them and they broke TWICE!!  If the price is really only $20 for the Maxell, then it's hard to complain since you can just return it and get a replacement or buy another pair. I can't imagine a new pair breaking within a few months, but maybe it does happen. If I do buy them for $40, I'd be a bit more worried if they broke too quickly.

I've been wanting to buy the DHP-II for a few months, but I don't want to pay $40 on something I don't want that badly and there is a chance that it could break.

Strangely in my lifetime I've only had two different types of headphones break. The Triports and some $5 Phillips earbuds that I had for several years!

UPDATE: I ended up buying a pair for $30 Today. I don't use or trust Ebay/Paypal, so that wasn't an option. If these don't sound like a $250 headphone i'll be mad! Kidding. I'm hoping at the very least they'll sound as good as my KSC75 or UR-55. I did try the JVX RX900, but hated those. Should have went to the RX700(?) instead. Maybe there is something I can do to keep them from breaking. I guess I need to be extra gentle with them when I put them on my head. If these sound better then the Creative Aurvana Live, then i'll be VERY impressed.

Sep 25, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #344 of 411

Quote:
So after more usage with the Pioneers I've become weary of more possible issues of pain. Though the discomfort was only in my left wear, so that's interesting.

So the few hours I used them at home on my computer were okay pain wise, but I couldn't really use them for long without rest when I was on a plane yesterday.

Ugh.

Pain from how they sit on your head, or the sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back