The BEST full sized headphones for $30 USD or less (updated Nov. 27 2013)?
Sep 26, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #346 of 411

Quote:

Where are you seeing these for $20 other then Ebay? I've been looking to find them for CHEAP without much luck. Two companies are selling them on Amazon Marketplace for $28.99, but I don't trust them. The average list price on Amazon is $40. One moron is actually trying to sell them for $80.

I've been wanting to buy the DHP-II for a few months, but I don't want to pay $40 on something I don't want that badly and there is a chance that it could break.

UPDATE: I ended up buying a pair for $30 Today. I don't use or trust Ebay/Paypal, so that wasn't an option. If these don't sound like a $250 headphone i'll be mad! Kidding. I'm hoping at the very least they'll sound as good as my KSC75 or UR-55. I did try the JVX RX900, but hated those. Should have went to the RX700(?) instead. Maybe there is something I can do to keep them from breaking. I guess I need to be extra gentle with them when I put them on my head. If these sound better then the Creative Aurvana Live, then i'll be VERY impressed.

Hey man, for the price I think you will be pleasantly surprised.  Just keep in mind that you got them for $30. 
smily_headphones1.gif
  As far as finding them for ~20 USD... I got it from the seller called "Midwest Wholesale Distributors."  He/She/They were selling them for $21 USD, but they increased to $28.   Either way, I don't see how anyone wouldn't like these HP's as long as they don't toss em around! 
smily_headphones1.gif
  The sound is really nice, man!

Sep 26, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #347 of 411

Quote:
I believe from the way they sit on my head, damn huge ears. I'm flying back home on Monday so we'll see what happens then.

They fit completely around my ears, so between the soft pads and the strap that sits on the top of your head, I've found them very comfortable. I guess you do have big ears.(no offense!)
atsmile.gif

Sep 27, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #348 of 411

Quote:
They fit completely around my ears, so between the soft pads and the strap that sits on the top of your head, I've found them very comfortable. I guess you do have big ears.(no offense!)
atsmile.gif

Oh the fit is absolutely perfect, covers the ears and I didn't even have to adjust the top band thing (lol). They are definitely very comfortable and to just mention again - while I think there was some slight discomfort the first day I did wear them for a few hours with relatively no issues.

It was only when I used them on the plane that my left ear started hurting a bit. Like the top of my ear and stuff. I still think my ears touch the inner cone/speaker part but not much can be done there.

I'll probably pick up a pair of RX700's to compare with.

Thanks guys.

Sep 29, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #349 of 411
No, the Maxell DHP-II may have sold new for ~$20 when on clearance last year, but it now sells new for ~$40.

But regardless, and with price, value, and sound of these headphones aside, I only addressed the question of its reliability. And with you now confirming that plastic must be stretched in order to use these headphones, my question of its reliability has been answered. 

Again, I consider the accounts posted on Amazon regarding its structural reliability to be quite credible - everyday people using headphones in a normal / careful way, but then plastic fractures and renders the headphones useless. 

Plastic in headphones is susceptible to fracturing - even with normal, careful use. Again, see the link in my sig (and these are high dollar Senns, not a cheap Maxell). The DHP-II has an established history of suffering from this defect and more so than most headphones sold today.

Personally, I wouldn't consider suggesting it to anyone, unless expecting to transplant the broken off ear cups to another set. 

Quote:
Quote:

I understand what you're saying there.. But again, let's remember these are ~20 dollars, yet they sound like they are worth more than that (in my opinion, and others)!  I still stand by the statement that you should really treat these headphones with care, and they will treat you well.  Seriously, you gotta be pretty rough to break them (I think/according to my standards).

Sep 29, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #350 of 411
Got the RX700's. Friggin' huge. Not as much padding as I would've imagined. And they're bigger, bulkier than I would've liked.

I might just wait until Christmas and get a nice $150-$200 pair.

Sep 29, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #351 of 411

Quote:
No, the Maxell DHP-II may have sold new for ~$20 when on clearance last year, but it now sells new for ~$40.

But regardless, and with price, value, and sound of these headphones aside, I only addressed the question of its reliability. And with you now confirming that plastic must be stretched in order to use these headphones, my question of its reliability has been answered. 

Again, I consider the accounts posted on Amazon regarding its structural reliability to be quite credible - everyday people using headphones in a normal / careful way, but then plastic fractures and renders the headphones useless. 

Plastic in headphones is susceptible to fracturing - even with normal, careful use. Again, see the link in my sig (and these are high dollar Senns, not a cheap Maxell). The DHP-II has an established history of suffering from this defect and more so than most headphones sold today.

Personally, I wouldn't consider suggesting it to anyone, unless expecting to transplant the broken off ear cups to another set. 

[size=9pt]What is this about the plastic must be stretched to be used? Do I really have to go dig up all the reviews (including ljokerl's) that say the Amazon reviews are bunk? You don't even own a pair so your say on the matter means spit, no offence. [/size]

[size=9pt]I think ljokerl put it best when he said something like: "If we all went around listening to Amazon reviews we'd all be listening to Skullcandy's and Beats." [/size]

[size=9pt]And I SHOWED you where to get the Maxell's for $30 so why are you here insisting that they are $40? They are not... Not even with shipping included. [/size]

[size=9pt]Do me a favor - buy a pair and then you can act like the great authority on them. Until then leave the disparaging comments to people who know What they're talking about.[/size]

[size=9pt]Thanks.[/size]

Sep 29, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #352 of 411

Quote:

[size=9pt]What is this about the plastic must be stretched to be used? Do I really have to go dig up all the reviews (including ljokerl's) that say the Amazon reviews are bunk? You don't even own a pair so your say on the matter means spit, no offence. [/size]

[size=9pt]I think ljokerl put it best when he said something like: "If we all went around listening to Amazon reviews we'd all be listening to Skullcandy's and Beats." [/size]

[size=9pt]And I SHOWED you where to get the Maxell's for $30 so why are you here insisting that they are $40? They are not... Not even with shipping included. [/size]

[size=9pt]Do me a favor - buy a pair and then you can act like the great authority on them. Until then leave the disparaging comments to people who know What they're talking about.[/size]

[size=9pt]Thanks.[/size]

He wasn't talking about the SOUND in the amazon review he was saying that the reviews about their STRUCTURE were accurate. Do me a big favor and read before you post. Also they are $40 from what most people consider to be a reliable reseller, not saying your reseller is bad, but I don't trust them near as much as I would amazon or newegg.

Sep 29, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #353 of 411
You continue to demonstrate a reading comprehension problem - as if you're posting without even trying to read my post. To get a better grasp of the matter, try reading the thread linked in my sig too - no sense in repeating what I've already written twice in this thread. 

The Maxell DHP-II headphones sell new for ~$40 shipped. But if you're so sure they can be bought new for ~$20 or $30 shipped - go ahead and post a link in reply to this post showing this.  

Quote:
[size=9pt]What is this about the plastic must be stretched to be used? Do I really have to go dig up all the reviews (including ljokerl's) that say the Amazon reviews are bunk? You don't even own a pair so your say on the matter means spit, no offence. [/size]  

[size=9pt]Thanks.[/size]

Sep 30, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #356 of 411
Difficulty reading and I guess you don't know how to add - it's ~$34 shipped - nice price. Too bad the Maxell DHP-II are known to break with normal use. You pull the ear cups open (stretching and stressing the plastic above the ear cups) as you put the headphones on, and then you do this again when taking it off = snap > broken headphones.  

Quote:

Oct 1, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #357 of 411
I've had the JVC RX700's for a few days now and I don't think I'm happy with them. They're not that comfortable (pioneers were much more comfy), they very big and my ears get warm, sweaty, etc after extended use.

Oct 1, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #359 of 411
These baby's started me out a few years ago (http://www.usa.philips.com/c/headphones/sbchn110_37/prd/) They're extremely light and comfortable. Extremely. And sound pretty nice. Nothing amazing, but you'll be hard pressed to find fault with them unless your serious about your music listening. I still like them if im more in the mood for comfort, but now my newly purchased Ultrasones have stolen my heart for the most part:wink:

Oct 2, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #360 of 411

Quote:
Difficulty reading and I guess you don't know how to add - it's ~$34 shipped - nice price. Too bad the Maxell DHP-II are known to break with normal use. You pull the ear cups open (stretching and stressing the plastic above the ear cups) as you put the headphones on, and then you do this again when taking it off = snap > broken headphones.  

Seriously, the Maxell DHP-II headphones aren't that fragile at all!  In my opinion, if someone breaks the headphones, it means they were being way too rough with them.  Since they aren't metal, obviously you want to be somewhat careful..that's all!  I've had mine for a couple months now and they are still doing great. 
smily_headphones1.gif
  BTW I use mine for several hours every single day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back