The BEST full sized headphones for $30 USD or less (updated Nov. 27 2013)?
Sep 19, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #316 of 411

Quote:
Anyone have any thoughts on the Pioneer SE-M390? I'm going to return the Koss UR-55. They hurt my ears.

Also. I use headphones heavily for gaming. And everything sounded like it had an echo, almost hollow.

I'm coming from heavy use on Sony MDR-V150's btw.

Too tight on the head or just awful sound quality? Just curious. I've heard from a couple people that found them too tight to be comfortable. Luckily my head is small I guess.

The UR-55 have a pretty good soundstage and some music just has an airy quality to it with them. Sure the songs aren't supposed to sound like that to begin with?  I think it has a lot to do with the foam itself and I think this is how the headphone is meant to sound. I imagine some people will hate it. If you think that's bad, wait until you see the UR-40. That's a whole other story though and it's not a good feature. I kind of like the soundstage of the UR-55 despite not being really an open pair. On my Grado SR-80 the echo effect in some songs is completely gone until I try other headphones, especially open ones. It's strange. Never had the hollow effect with the UR-55s though, but I gave them to my mom when I upgraded to the Pro DJ 100. I probably used them for a couple weeks straight and loved them.

BTW that muffled sound right out of the box went away for me within the first two days. Just after burning them in overnight. Luckily I never had that issue with my Pro DJ 100s.

Sep 19, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #317 of 411

Quote:
Anyone have any thoughts on the Pioneer SE-M390? I'm going to return the Koss UR-55. They hurt my ears.

Also. I use headphones heavily for gaming. And everything sounded like it had an echo, almost hollow.

I'm coming from heavy use on Sony MDR-V150's btw.

This was a review written by nywytboy68 of the Pioneers....

For a nice bass flavored headphone that wont break the bank Pioneer has created a real winner here. The SE-M390 sounds like it should cost in the $150.00 range, a real deal/steal. Highs sparkle, mids are quite clear & present - not overbearing, and the bass is powerful, solid, and quite controlled. Quite a bargain in the $40.00 range.

Now, the build quality isn't the most solid, but it's good for stationary listening - just don't go tossing them in a bag or backpack. Remember, you DO get what you pay for.

4 stars for the sweet SQ, since it would have been 5 stars if the build quality was better.

Sep 19, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #318 of 411

Quote:
Too tight on the head or just awful sound quality? Just curious. I've heard from a couple people that found them too tight to be comfortable. Luckily my head is small I guess.

The UR-55 have a pretty good soundstage and some music just has an airy quality to it with them. Sure the songs aren't supposed to sound like that to begin with?  I think it has a lot to do with the foam itself and I think this is how the headphone is meant to sound. I imagine some people will hate it. If you think that's bad, wait until you see the UR-40. That's a whole other story though and it's not a good feature. I kind of like the soundstage of the UR-55 despite not being really an open pair. On my Grado SR-80 the echo effect in some songs is completely gone until I try other headphones, especially open ones. It's strange. Never had the hollow effect with the UR-55s though, but I gave them to my mom when I upgraded to the Pro DJ 100. I probably used them for a couple weeks straight and loved them.

BTW that muffled sound right out of the box went away for me within the first two days. Just after burning them in overnight. Luckily I never had that issue with my Pro DJ 100s.

You'll have to forgive me, I'm new to all this. I usually just bought some $20 Sony headphones and made due, lol.

The Koss UR-55's were just too small. Not really tight, but either I have a big head (dunno my size) or they're just built small. The problem for me is that the cushions aren't big enough, so my ears end up pressing against the inside speaker/cone, and it's fairly hard.

I wore them for maybe 1-2 hours while gaming and it just hurt so I took them off. You can also hear them across the room at a good volume (normal music/gaming volume for me, about 30-40 on the Win 7 volume bar).

Um, I don't know what you really mean by soundstage or why you bring up the UR-40's. Does the pioneer model compare to those? I've read a few positive reviews so for $30 I can't go wrong at least trying the pioneers.

I'd like to touch more on the "echo" that I heard. Music sounded good enough to me, but when I was gaming everything had a hollow sense.  Like I was in a big empty room and the sound was bouncing off the walls. I'm not sure if that's the sound these type of headphones produce so it makes them less than ideal for gaming or if I'm not used to it, or what. (I know I see those JVC RX700's recommended a lot on a gaming forum I go to).

Thanks.

Sep 20, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #319 of 411

Quote:
The Koss UR-55's were just too small. Not really tight, but either I have a big head (dunno my size) or they're just built small. The problem for me is that the cushions aren't big enough, so my ears end up pressing against the inside speaker/cone, and it's fairly hard.  

I absolutely hate it when I have that problem with headphones. The Creative Aurvana Lives were like that for me. I guess those are supposed to be ON the EAR, but i'm not really sure. It just made them a bit strange to wear. I would have returned the UR-55's too if I had that problem. The Ur-55's are supposed to be Closed headphones so everyone else doesn't hear them, but I think they're semi-open due to the foam.

I'm not sure about the Pioneer headphones, but I've heard a lot of good things about the JVC RX700. I tried the RX900, but hated them. Everyone says the RX700 is much better though. You may also want to check into the Maxell DHP-II. I haven't tried them, but a lot of people on here have given them some good reviews. They're only about $35 and are closed.

Sep 20, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #320 of 411
Some headphones emphasize echoes and some reduce them. I don't use headphones for gaming, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to game with my RX700.

FWIR...

The Maxell DHP II and Pioneer SE-M390 are described somewhat similarly with both generally reviewed well. Both are clear and up front sounding - as opposed to distant with a large sound stage. The Maxell might have more present mids and highs, while the Pioneer probably has a more prominent / better bass. The Maxell wears around the ears, and the Pioneer wears on the ears. I suspect most would find the Pioneer more comfy for longer use. I'm more inclined to buy the Pioneer than the Maxell for music. I doubt either were intended for gamers, but I suspect most casual gamers would prefer the Pioneer. But you really can't tell for yourself without comparing them. 

Quote:
  Like I was in a big empty room and the sound was bouncing off the walls. I'm not sure if that's the sound these type of headphones produce so it makes them less than ideal for gaming or if I'm not used to it, or what. (I know I see those JVC RX700's recommended a lot on a gaming forum I go to).

Sep 20, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #321 of 411

Quote:
Some headphones emphasize echoes and some reduce them. I don't use headphones for gaming, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to game with my RX700.

FWIR...

The Maxell DHP II and Pioneer SE-M390 are described somewhat similarly with both generally reviewed well. Both are clear and up front sounding - as opposed to distant with a large sound stage. The Maxell might have more present mids and highs, while the Pioneer probably has a more prominent / better bass. The Maxell wears around the ears, and the Pioneer wears on the ears. I suspect most would find the Pioneer more comfy for longer use. I'm more inclined to buy the Pioneer than the Maxell for music. I doubt either were intended for gamers, but I suspect most casual gamers would prefer the Pioneer. But you really can't tell for yourself without comparing them. 

Thanks for you reply. Is there a set of headphones that you WOULD game with?

Sep 20, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #322 of 411

Quote:

FWIR...

The Pioneers are around the ears, and very comfortable indeed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #324 of 411
Used from my XS71 sound card...

If choosing from headphones that I now own, probably the Philips HP910 - no longer in production. If choosing from headphones that I've previously owned that are now readily available, probably the HD555 - mainly for its comfort.  If choosing from headphones that I've bought new for $30 total or less, probably a KSC75 (no longer sold at Radio Shack), modded with HD414 pads (Sennheiser or eBay) and electrical tape (a dollar store). For under $30 total that can be bought from one place on line today - Amazon, I can't say yet whether I'd use the Pioneer SE-M390 cause I just ordered it. 

Again, I don't game - except to play chess and Wii - and I don't take it seriously... lol. 

Quote:
Thanks for you reply. Is there a set of headphones that you WOULD game with?

Sep 20, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #326 of 411
I'd do a loaner program... For the Black Koss PortaPro @ $30.

Sep 21, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #327 of 411
My Pioneers arrived. First impressions. VERY comfortable. Sound is good. I think the whole "echo" thing is just something I'll get used to. I believe it might help with "directional" sound.'

They're huge though.

You guys think I could change out the ear pads? Or are they non-removable?

Sep 21, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #328 of 411
With an open headphone like the PortaPros 'Echo' is a thing of the past. It is replaced with clarity and airiness.

Sep 21, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #330 of 411
Amazon is now selling the PortaPro for $30 shipped. My cousin bought it when it first came out. It was the first headphones that I ever listened to - from a 1970's receiver. I wasn't impressed and didn't take an interest in headphones until joining Head-Fi - about 20 years later. 
Quote:
With an open headphone like the PortaPros 'Echo' is a thing of the past. It is replaced with clarity and airiness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back