The Astell & Kern AK240
Mar 10, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #6,826 of 9,131
Do you mean to get a hub that downgrades usb3 to usb2?

There is no such thing, as any standard USB 2.1 hub will by default downgrade your USB 3.0 connection to 2.1.

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #6,827 of 9,131
Yes hats what he means. Any hub that us usb 2.0
This limit the fine transfer speed. Also have you tried other devices to transfer files woth this ak240.
I have had abiut 6 daps and no issues
Three of them are AK products. Also did you try other usb cables as well. Sorry trying to help and did not read the whole thread. I really like Ak stuff

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #6,831 of 9,131
Stupid/basic question alert...

I've recently got hold of some Shure 846s (which I am loving), and am intrigued about trying them through the balanced output on the 240.  Before I blow any money on an upgrade to a balanced cable, I want a little cheap and easy demo first, but confused as to how to go about it. 

NOTE - balanced listening is completely new to me, so I know nothing about the science and technical aspects.

Can I just get a cheap 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter and try it out that way?  I seem to remember reading something (perhaps in this very thread, but a search doesn't bring it up) about making sure you have the right polarities or something, lest you end up blowing your iems/damage your DAP - am I thinking that right, or getting confused with something else?

If someone could point me in the direction of the correct/best cheap adapter to use (literally just want to spend a couple/few £s at this tryout stage) with the 240 on, say, Amazon or eBay, that would be smashing.

Thanks all.

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #6,832 of 9,131
  Stupid/basic question alert...

I've recently got hold of some Shure 846s (which I am loving), and am intrigued about trying them through the balanced output on the 240.  Before I blow any money on an upgrade to a balanced cable, I want a little cheap and easy demo first, but confused as to how to go about it. 

NOTE - balanced listening is completely new to me, so I know nothing about the science and technical aspects.

Can I just get a cheap 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter and try it out that way?  I seem to remember reading something (perhaps in this very thread, but a search doesn't bring it up) about making sure you have the right polarities or something, lest you end up blowing your iems/damage your DAP - am I thinking that right, or getting confused with something else?

If someone could point me in the direction of the correct/best cheap adapter to use (literally just want to spend a couple/few £s at this tryout stage) with the 240 on, say, Amazon or eBay, that would be smashing.

Thanks all.

1) You cannot use any adaptor with your existing cable. If you use a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adaptor, it will short the balance out circuit of your AK240.
2) The cheapest way to do DIY, or get a cable from the HeadphoneLounge  

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #6,833 of 9,131
I already have two usb 3 ports on my mac,is it something im missing?
Why do i need a usb3 hub?

Same reason as using an external DAC: to bypass your Mac's internal USB3.0 chipset that may be causing problems with the AK240.

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #6,834 of 9,131
Got a question re: cover art. When I changed the cover art of my song, it shows the right picture when the song is being play, but the thumbnail in the album list still shows the old picture. How can I make the ak240 to rebuild thumbnails?
Thanks

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #6,835 of 9,131
  1) You cannot use any adaptor with your existing cable. If you use a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adaptor, it will short the balance out circuit of your AK240.
2) The cheapest way to do DIY, or get a cable from the HeadphoneLounge  

Thanks.  That's what I thought, but I read of people saying they are using TRRS adapters.  So, I'm assuming, they've made their own adapter?

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #6,836 of 9,131

Thanks.  That's what I thought, but I read of people saying they are using TRRS adapters.  So, I'm assuming, they've made their own adapter?

The adaptor is for converting a cable already terminated in 2.5mm plug, to be used in the 3.5mm jack. 

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #6,838 of 9,131
I already have two usb 3 ports on my mac,is it something im missing?
Why do i need a usb3 hub?

I'm not certain where usb3 hub came about. I was recommending usb2 hub and DrSheep & Alrainbow were saying that just a regular usb2 hub (i.e. you don't have to find a dedicated usb3-to-usb2 hub as no such thing exists).

Meanwhile DrSheep is saying he doesn't need to worry about usb2 hubs at all 'cos usb3 works fine for him (what OS? MacOS or Win8.1?).

Finally, I don't think there's a unanimous agreement that usb2 is the solution. All you can do is try...usb2 hubs don't cost much, and trying something is better than trying nothing but complaining about it on the thread.

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #6,839 of 9,131
Win 8.1 Pro with ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition, and for USB 3.0 just find something that runs on VIA's VL812-B2 chipset with the latest firmware (9081 or above).  Let me say this again: not all USB 2.1 and 3.0 chipset and firmware work 100% the same across the board.  If you have a USB related problem, then make sure you look into what chipset and firmware your board or hub is using, then try to update those before getting new hubs.

p.s. almost forgot, if you are not running enough power to your hub or drawing too much from the other devices, your USB device (e.g., AK240) may mount but won't function correctly.  And this is why I highly recommend the hubs that run the VL812-B2 chipset that uses 12V/5Amp power, instead of 4 or even 3 Amps on most other brand of USB 3.0 hubs.

Mar 11, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #6,840 of 9,131
Has this person tried any other cpu at all. I asked this too no answer .
Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back