The Astell & Kern AK240
Mar 11, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #6,841 of 9,131
Has this person tried any other cpu at all. I asked this too no answer .
Al

But CPU has hardly anything to do with USB connections...

Mar 11, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #6,842 of 9,131
By cpu I meant computer like a different laptop or desktop

Mar 11, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #6,843 of 9,131
Mar 11, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #6,844 of 9,131
I'm not certain where usb3 hub came about. I was recommending usb2 hub and DrSheep & Alrainbow were saying that just a regular usb2 hub (i.e. you don't have to find a dedicated usb3-to-usb2 hub as no such thing exists).

Meanwhile DrSheep is saying he doesn't need to worry about usb2 hubs at all 'cos usb3 works fine for him (what OS? MacOS or Win8.1?).

Finally, I don't think there's a unanimous agreement that usb2 is the solution. All you can do is try...usb2 hubs don't cost much, and trying something is better than trying nothing but complaining about it on the thread.

I am sorry Anak, but wouldn't you agree that a £2200 dap should just work..disappointed to be told off like that.
My point is Very valid, Astell&kern is not a DIY workshop as far as im concerned..

Mar 11, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #6,845 of 9,131
I am sorry Anak, but wouldn't you agree that a £2200 dap should just work..disappointed to be told off like that.
My point is Very valid, Astell&kern is not a DIY workshop as far as im concerned..

I think I missed some of the conversation.  Can you tell me what's going on with your AK240?  PM me if you want.

Mar 11, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #6,846 of 9,131
I think I missed some of the conversation.  Can you tell me what's going on with your AK240?  PM me if you want.

Sure, i have a latest MacBook Pro and latest OS,
First 240 was a right disaster,would not update from 1.11 or factory reset, so i could do nothing with the Android there.
Went and got a new one, came with 1.17, updated to 1.18 no probs and then the Android Transfer nightmare began.
One of the big selling points and high price justification of 240 is the internal 256gb storage, so when i try and transfer my music to it and it is practically impossible via the official way offered by AK using AT i wasted a whole night and a day trying to put at least some of my albums on.Forget about puting a whole artists folder with all the albums, forget putting even more than one album at a time, but even that would not work smoothly,
Went and bought SyncMate, that didn't even recognise the player,
I kept trying to use AT and after many many hours i spent praying album by album(I literally saw every single track being transferred) i found out that the bugger had only actually put some 30gb out of the 100 or so i was trying to transfer.
At this point I decided to Factory reset and after doing it SyncMate recognised it.
I spent several hours with this far from perfect paid Mac program and after mostly successful attempts and super slow trasfer rates i managed to put some 80gb of music.
So, brand new AK 240 that needed to be factory reset,
2 wasted full days and only some 80 gb of music on it with the prospect of spending many more in wating by the computer(simply coz you can't just leave it to transfer on its own,it won't happen)
I feel i have all the right to complain about it!
I like the sound,i loved the balanced input and am getting AK T5p, but has been the worst experience ive had with a dap and am not convinced sound is anything above calyx or paw or tera so far.
Worst of all, have not heard back from A&K after numerous attempts via email and fb which just makes you feel crap tbh

Mar 11, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #6,847 of 9,131

Worst of all, have not heard back from A&K after numerous attempts via email and fb which just makes you feel crap tbh

Sounds like the boys at AK don't like Apple much!

Mar 11, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #6,848 of 9,131

Sounds like the boys at AK don't like Apple much!

Keep in mind that the AK runs Android, which is Apple's mobile competitor.  Obviously, they aren't rushing out to fix any incompatibilities between Android and Mac OS either.  Remember they want people to buy Apple products - not Android ones.  While AK can do better with this, you also have to put some of this on Apple too.  Similarly, Google could in theory do more to make Android compatible with Macs as well, but they are also in competition with Apple.   So, this is a bad situation for AK owners with Macs.  The parties who are best able to fix this are in competition with each other!

Mar 11, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #6,849 of 9,131

Keep in mind that the AK runs Android, which is Apple's mobile competitor.  Obviously, they aren't rushing out to fix any incompatibilities between Android and Mac OS either.  Remember they want people to buy Apple products - not Android ones.  While AK can do better with this, you also have to put some of this on Apple too.  Similarly, Google could in theory do more to make Android compatible with Macs as well, but they are also in competition with Apple.   So, this is a bad situation for AK owners with Macs.  The parties who are best able to fix this are in competition with each other!

I've been a dedicated Mac user since 2001 (Apple in general since 1980). I've had the AK240 since April last year. No rants from me. Granted my Mac is a 2009 and I don't even have USB 3.0 ports even if I wanted to. I'd be damned if soundblast75 is the first new Mac/AK240 user in HF.

Mar 11, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #6,850 of 9,131
Does the group realize this is one person. Who apprently does even confess to trying another laptop or desktop.
Not saying it not fusttating but enough already
AK is a good company and very popular if there devices had inherent Isiues the threads would be loaded with complaints. As I do feel sorry for the person to me they seem hell bent on ranting and not trying to fix things with alternent methods
Just my view of this.

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #6,851 of 9,131
Ok... Have you tested your AK240 with:

1, different cable
2, a PC
3, different hub
4, boot camp
5, different Mac
6, different files
7, debug mode and ADB
8, load the same files into a microSD and let the AK240 scan them

Again, with out a lot of details it is very hard to trouble shoot your setup.

Mar 12, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #6,852 of 9,131
Does the group realize this is one person. Who apprently does even confess to trying another laptop or desktop.
Not saying it not fusttating but enough already
AK is a good company and very popular if there devices had inherent Isiues the threads would be loaded with complaints. As I do feel sorry for the person to me they seem hell bent on ranting and not trying to fix things with alternent methods
Just my view of this.

They are not alone. Have had problems on my Mac laptop and my Mac desktop. Have had better luck with windows. I don't have enough experience as to whether is is all android devices or just the ak240 but can confirm the same craptastic file transfer experience on two examples of the ak240.

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #6,853 of 9,131
"I like the sound,i loved the balanced input and am getting AK T5p, but has been the worst experience ive had with a dap and am not convinced sound is anything above calyx or paw or tera so far.
Worst of all, have not heard back from A&K after numerous attempts via email and fb which just makes you feel crap tbh"

If you're waiting for a response from A&K, good luck with that.  I have never once heard back and have sent them probably ten emails over a 12 month or so period.  Their customer service is exactly 0. Unless you're an industry insider or in some way know someone with the company; they flat out refuse to contact you.  I'm in the same boat as you.  Absolutely love the sound, but hate the transfer experience with using a Mac.  I'm also having the dreaded volume knob problems which you should be lucky as it sounds like you have not encountered that issue yet.  Oh and I finally managed to get all 250 GBs or so of music transferred to the internal storage over about a week period.  Now I use a 128GB microsd card to change the music as I dare not touch anything on the internal storage out of fear of losing all that time spent transferring.  

I have a Macbook Air with 2 USB 2.0 ports and a Mac Mini with 4 USB 3.0 ports.  I also have a USB 2.0 hub and a USB 3.0 hub and have issues with all of them.   I also tried a powered hub and a non-powered hub neither one made a difference.  I used probably 20 different USB cables to no avail either.  None of that matters; if you have Mac--there will be issues transferring music.  I did try my girlfriend's Windows 7 laptop and of course it worked perfectly; but nothing is worth switching back to Windows even these transfer issues.

Mar 12, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #6,854 of 9,131
First 240 was a right disaster,would not update from 1.11 or factory reset, so i could do nothing with the Android there.
Went and got a new one, came with 1.17, updated to 1.18 no probs and then the Android Transfer nightmare began.
One of the big selling points and high price justification of 240 is the internal 256gb storage, so when i try and transfer my music to it and it is practically impossible via the official way offered by AK using AT i wasted a whole night and a day trying to put at least some of my albums on.Forget about puting a whole artists folder with all the albums, forget putting even more than one album at a time, but even that would not work smoothly,
I kept trying to use AT and after many many hours i spent praying album by album(I literally saw every single track being transferred) i found out that the bugger had only actually put some 30gb out of the 100 or so i was trying to transfer.
At this point I decided to Factory reset and after doing it SyncMate recognised it.
I spent several hours with this far from perfect paid Mac program and after mostly successful attempts and super slow trasfer rates i managed to put some 80gb of music.
2 wasted full days and only some 80 gb of music on it with the prospect of spending many more in wating by the computer(simply coz you can't just leave it to transfer on its own,it won't happen)
I like the sound,i loved the balanced input and am getting AK T5p, but has been the worst experience ive had with a dap and am not convinced sound is anything above calyx or paw or tera so far.

In some cases you need to re-download your Android App to eliminate the Mac/240 not reading each other's problem.  Yes, these things bugging people, me included.

Mar 12, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #6,855 of 9,131

I have the same problem with Android File Transfer. The problem is, IMO, that iRiver should allow USB Mass Storage access. Android File Transfer not only is crap software, but installs a background program that prevents other software from working with Android devices. If you remove the background launcher, it re-installs it on next run! If you don't use a short, high-quality and noise-rejecting cable or use a USB isolator, it will fail on large transfers. That's not a problem with the AK240, that is specifically a problem with the software presumably not having any ability to handle errors in file transfers. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back