The Astell & Kern AK240
Mar 7, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #6,811 of 9,131
I am swearing and kicking right now, i have not been this frustrated since the days of old irivers etc, this sucks :mad: :confused: :eek:
Every single file gives me error now, What!!!!

Edit by Mod (consolidate #1): What's the point of all this storage if you cant transfer a single f;;;; album. spoc:angry_face:  

Edit by Mod (consolidate #2): There's no logic to any of this and if someone sees any pls tell me..
Android Transfer and AK240 are living capricious creatures, they want you to adopt them to make your life a misery :mad:  

Personally, I don't have problem with file transfers, it's a matter of drag and drop. But I use Windows 8.1.

Mar 8, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #6,812 of 9,131

I paid for this yesterday but it doesnt work, ak is not recognised, got an email from them saying it doesnt and they cant guarantee it will..

Ive been using mac and ak240. I organize my songs by artist -> album (even by folders) and load them by album as well. had only minor issues. Its not the most perfect with some spotty connections but overall was ok. Biggest have been 5gb dsd albums per transfer.

Guess ive been lucky (pls dont jinx me)

I use SyncMate on a MBP running Yosemite and rarely have problems. My directory structure basically mirrors mrmax: Artist > Albums > Songs. The only problem I have occasionally is, SyncMate mounts the AK240 folder images but the images are empty. The fix is to delete the connection in SyncMate and then recreate the connection (takes a few seconds). I don't know if it's a SyncMate problem or Yosemite. This problem only started after the Yosemite update. I've transferred multi GB of files/folders this way and yes it's slow but at least it's been reliable for me. 

Mar 8, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #6,816 of 9,131
Yes I was quite aware of that. Interesting you chose to quote the comparison of the RWAK240(1.15) vs AK240SS(1.18) rather than my other comparison the RWAK240(1.15) vs AK240(1.18).

That's why I compared the RWAK240(1.15) vs AK240(1.18). Yes I know it's still 2 variables difference but at least one less. And in that comparison as per my post, the two were more similar than different.

That's because AK240SS is permanently "handicapped" in the sense that it starts off with 1.18, that's why I was more interested in that comparison. I said it's permanent assuming:

1. If you take it to service center, they won't downgrade it to 1.15 for you because that was before SS' time, though by all means 1.15 should work in SS; and
2. SQ of 1.15 will never appear again in future versions of FW.

Mar 9, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #6,817 of 9,131
That's because AK240SS is permanently "handicapped" in the sense that it starts off with 1.18, that's why I was more interested in that comparison. I said it's permanent assuming:

1. If you take it to service center, they won't downgrade it to 1.15 for you because that was before SS' time, though by all means 1.15 should work in SS; and
2. SQ of 1.15 will never appear again in future versions of FW.

But so was the Ak240 Duralumin. It was 1.18 too. Wouldn't that be considered as "permanently handicapped" too? The purpose of my RWAK240(1.15) & the AK240(1.18) was to provide a better baseline for the RWAK240(1.15) vs the AK240SS(1.18). It's still not -the- baseline but a step closer at least.

As a separate topic but related topic, I'm not certain if I'm so impressed with 1.15. I think I kinda slightly preferred the 1.16 especially with my MH335DW-SR & K10's. However I don't want to upgrade it yet still as I'm selling it and will leave that choice up to the buyer.

Mar 9, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #6,818 of 9,131
Have you thought of using large fast sd card instead of all the nightmare of loading the internal memory.

Not an option for me,its plain ugly after tbo ak sounds no better than paw for example and one of the reasons to get it would be the sheer beauty(which once you do buy it only to discover the ugly,slow android nature of it)
No way around it,it works most of the times with that £25 syncmate crap and yes it is slow

Mar 10, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #6,819 of 9,131
Not an option for me,its plain ugly after tbo ak sounds no better than paw for example and one of the reasons to get it would be the sheer beauty(which once you do buy it only to discover the ugly,slow android nature of it)
No way around it,it works most of the times with that £25 syncmate crap and yes it is slow

I found I could load OK,after initial problems, by leaving the AK240 plugged in and file transfer running for a few minutes.
Then transfers seem to go fine on the whole. If I rushed into transferring then had the connection problems.
Have to say I use a Cowon P1 now which just shows as an external drive and it is so much better.
I came to the conclusion the AK240 was somewhat overpriced and weak in some areas, loading music and inability to stream Qobuz despite all the promises. Cowon just plays music and causes no frustration.

Mar 10, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #6,820 of 9,131
I found I could load OK,after initial problems, by leaving the AK240 plugged in and file transfer running for a few minutes.
Then transfers seem to go fine on the whole. If I rushed into transferring then had the connection problems.
Have to say I use a Cowon P1 now which just shows as an external drive and it is so much better.
I came to the conclusion the AK240 was somewhat overpriced and weak in some areas, loading music and inability to stream Qobuz despite all the promises. Cowon just plays music and causes no frustration.

I agree about P1,there's no dap on the planet I haven't had or tried yet.
"Unfortunately" AK240 plays music to that extra level to P1 and poss the same as Calyx and Tera,Paw.
If there was a campaign to stop selling daps for anything above 1K i would back it up right away.
Companies like AK have showed us they don't care about how the user feels and his needs but only about throwing a shiny piece in your face to make them lots of money and sell at Horrods and Selfridges.
Hear me Astell&kern?????
Get the f;:frowning2:)n transfer sorted!!!!!!!

Mar 10, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #6,821 of 9,131
I agree about P1,there's no dap on the planet I haven't had or tried yet.
"Unfortunately" AK240 plays music to that extra level to P1 and poss the same as Calyx and Tera,Paw.
If there was a campaign to stop selling daps for anything above 1K i would back it up right away.
Companies like AK have showed us they don't care about how the user feels and his needs but only about throwing a shiny piece in your face to make them lots of money and sell at Horrods and Selfridges.
Hear me Astell&kern?????
Get the f;
frown.gif
)n transfer sorted!!!!!!!

I think P1 UI is much more responsive also. Never liked AK UI but many seems to praised them with many Youtube videos.

Mar 10, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #6,822 of 9,131
  I think P1 UI is much more responsive also. Never liked AK UI but many seems to praised them with many Youtube videos.

One thing that stopped me from getting the P1 was it did quite poorly with certain BA driver IEMs. Namely and especially, Final Audio Design's FI-BA-SS (only 1 BA driver lol). and the things ugly imo
 Some people think it's got a "analog" warm tubey type of sound but I like the AK's sound signature, color, etc more.

Mar 10, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #6,823 of 9,131
Mar 10, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #6,824 of 9,131
Has anyone purchased the package deal on Amazon that includes the 240, a dock, a case, and Senn Momentums? All for around $2500?
Strange thing is that one seller - emusic enterprise sells the ak240 standalone at $2500, with prime, fulfilled by Amazon. They are also selling the package at the same cost, without prime eligibility, fulfilled by emusic enterprise.
Just wondering what they're up to here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back