The Astell & Kern AK240
Jul 7, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #4,081 of 9,131
Recently, I had the pleasure of listening to some classical recording through a pair Yamaha HS-10 speakers, Shure MDR-7506 headphones with the new Universal Audio Apollo Twin Duo professional interface. Do you think the DAc in the Chord Hugo is better with giving the clarity and feeling then the dac in the Apollo Twin duo? Do you think the dac in the apollo is better then the dac in the AK-240 player? If I'm listening to classical music from a enjoying feeling but analytical feeling, Do you think it neccesary to get the chord hugo to play classial wav files of artist such as Luciano Pavarotti, Joan Sutherland. would the chord hugo show more technique then the dac in the Apollo twin duo? What you opinion?
Lastly, IF I get the Chord Hugo, would it makes since to get the meridian prime . which sound the best in terms of accuracy and presence and showing microscopic detail of the singer ( not so the recording)?

Jul 7, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #4,082 of 9,131
Can anyone else comment on the battery life of the AK240 with clear examples of:

1. How much they use it a day.

2. How long they scroll through the interface before finding a song they like (I do look hard enough on my iPod for songs and this takes up a lot of battery life).

3. How the wireless function and other options affect battery life.

4. How often they need to recharge the AK240.

5. How much battery life one could get if they only use the Ak240 for listening to music without wireless, etc?

Any comments would be highly appreciated.

Jul 7, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #4,083 of 9,131
Can anyone else comment on the battery life of the AK240 with clear examples of:

2. How long they scroll through the interface before finding a song they like (I do look hard enough on my iPod for songs and this takes up a lot of battery life).

5. How much battery life one could get if they only use the Ak240 for listening to music without wireless, etc?

I've managed to get mine to last almost 10 hours, but generally around 9 hours while trying to conserve battery life.

Jul 7, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #4,084 of 9,131

I use mine daily for around 30-60 minutes always with wi-fi active and about half of the time I listen to DSD.  So if I extrapolate out my usage and the residual battery life I would say that my AK240 would last around 7 hours.  I found that playing DSD downloaded using the music server kills the battery. I have no doubt I would get between 9-10 hours if I didn't play DSD 50% of the time.

Jul 7, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #4,085 of 9,131
The battery life is awful for such a premium product.

Jul 7, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #4,086 of 9,131

well, to each his own, but I find the battery life to be fine. Sure, a state-of-the-art DAP with outstanding battery life would be great, but we need new battery technology for that to ever happen ... or at the very least, much better implementation of the current technology.

Perhaps my expectations are lower than yours ... 
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #4,088 of 9,131
I had a chance today to A/B a HM-901 against the AK240 (again thanks to hifilounge.co.uk).  The AK240 really is a superb DAP, but I'd say it's a tie with the 901.  They sound quite different, some tracks sound better on the 901 and some sound better on the 240.  The 240 has a better sound stage and instrument separation but the 901 sounds more analogue - most noticeable on some very quick percussion which seems to decay slower on the 901 (example Brothers In Arms).  The 901 is far cheaper but it has a pretty awful jog dial while the 240 has a better interface, onboard memory and more control over the volume/EQ.

Headphones used for testing: Denon AH-D7100.  I was looking to replace these but having tested the Fostex TH900 and Audeze LCD-XC honestly I'm thinking of keeping them now.  The XCs sounded better with the warmer 901, Fostex were fine on either but the high end treble is just too much for me.  The 7100s are occasionally a bit too boomy on the 901 (I had the classic/stock card).

Actually seriously considering owning one of each.

Jul 7, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #4,089 of 9,131
  The 7100s are occasionally a bit too boomy on the 901 (I had the classic/stock card).

I own both, it's not a bad idea!! :D

I thought I could replace my 901 with the ak240, but turn out I couldn't. At the same time the neat UI, useful features, and nice look and feel of ak240 made me hold on to it too.

The current stock card for 901 is the Classic Card and is the warmest of the 8 amp boards I have. The IEM or balanced amp cards (who have similar sig but very difference output levels) would give you somewhat less warmth, but much better instrument separation and soundstage (esp balanced mode for soundstage).

Jul 7, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #4,090 of 9,131

1. depends on what files that you are playing.  DSD is the shortest around 4-5 hours.  Average CD quality around 7-8 hours
2. You may use pull down menu to search for your song
3. Sorry, not too much experience here.
4. When battery is low, I'd do that around 20%-25% left
5. See #1.

Jul 7, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #4,091 of 9,131

Nothing to do with premium or not, that's as good as battery technologies go.

Jul 7, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #4,092 of 9,131
  I had a chance today to A/B a HM-901 against the AK240 (again thanks to hifilounge.co.uk).  The AK240 really is a superb DAP, but I'd say it's a tie with the 901.  They sound quite different, some tracks sound better on the 901 and some sound better on the 240.  The 240 has a better sound stage and instrument separation but the 901 sounds more analogue - most noticeable on some very quick percussion which seems to decay slower on the 901 (example Brothers In Arms).  The 901 is far cheaper but it has a pretty awful jog dial while the 240 has a better interface, onboard memory and more control over the volume/EQ.

Headphones used for testing: Denon AH-D7100.  I was looking to replace these but having tested the Fostex TH900 and Audeze LCD-XC honestly I'm thinking of keeping them now.  The XCs sounded better with the warmer 901, Fostex were fine on either but the high end treble is just too much for me.  The 7100s are occasionally a bit too boomy on the 901 (I had the classic/stock card).

That's pretty much how I feel about the AK240 & the HM-901 as per my AK240 review. Sonically, each has it's own place but UI-wise, the AK240 slaps the HM-901 in the face. One thing though, about the 7100s sounding boomy on the 901, I'm gonna say that it seems to be the character of the 7100 especially with setups that have a full bodied presentation.

Anyway, I have sent my AK240 off to be RWAKed and hopefully when it gets back I'll be more comfortable in letting the HM-901 go.

Jul 7, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #4,093 of 9,131
Anyway, I have sent my AK240 off to be RWAKed and hopefully when it gets back I'll be more comfortable in letting the HM-901 go.

Oh Sean you are going RWAK also. Seems most who have the 901 would end up wanting it RWAK'ed eventually! (My wallet is now trembling again....)

Jul 7, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #4,094 of 9,131

That's pretty much how I feel about the AK240 & the HM-901 as per my AK240 review. Sonically, each has it's own place but UI-wise, the AK240 slaps the HM-901 in the face. One thing though, about the 7100s sounding boomy on the 901, I'm gonna say that it seems to be the character of the 7100 especially with setups that have a full bodied presentation.

looking forward to your impressions ... 
popcorn.gif

Jul 7, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #4,095 of 9,131
  Nothing to do with premium or not, that's as good as battery technologies go.

AK can still look at optimizing the software for better battery life performance. Tweaks and changes in how the hardware works with software can dramatically save battery. Think phones with bad software updates that cause unwanted battery drain.

Could be something AK can look at especially when its processing DSD tracks etc 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back