The Astell & Kern AK240
Jun 3, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #3,526 of 9,131
Hey Bluebear, I'm still on the AK120 (for now) but if I'm understanding your post correctly, you are saying that on version 1.37 of the AK120 firmware, the flattest, most neutral EQ setting, is achieved by selecting PRO EQ. Is this correct?

Hey Bluebear, I'm still on the AK120 (for now) but if I'm understanding your post correctly, you are saying that on version 1.37 of the AK120 firmware, the flattest, most neutral EQ setting, is achieved by selecting PRO EQ. Is this correct?

No I mean the no EQ on AK240 firmware v1.11 now seems to be the sound with Pro EQ on from the previous firmware versions and it seems EQ on with flat neutral curve bar seems to sound the best most natural SQ now. So I am guessing AK240 could have swapped the sound of the 2 modes around.

In the case of the AK120, I read that firmware v1.37 replaces the no EQ sound with the Pro EQ sound from its previous firmware versions. So I also am guessing that it is behaving like the AK240 right now.

I think Bluebear is saying this applies to both units. I'm just trying to make sure I fully understood his meaning
smily_headphones1.gif

My AK120 is still on v1.33 and I did not want to upgrade to v1.37 previously because of this Pro EQ change. Previously I am not sure if I can get back the original v1.33 SQ (or even the best SQ) after upgrading by doing what we found out based on AK240, so I never upgraded my AK120. But now that I have AK240, I guess I can sacrifice my AK120 and upgrade it to the latest firmware to confirm for you. Will get back with my feedback once I have done it and do a detailed listening.

Jun 3, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #3,527 of 9,131

No I mean the no EQ on AK240 firmware v1.11 now seems to be the sound with Pro EQ on from the previous firmware versions and it seems EQ on with flat neutral curve bar seems to sound the best most natural SQ now. So I am guessing AK240 could have swapped the sound of the 2 modes around.

In the case of the AK120, I read that firmware v1.37 replaces the no EQ sound with the Pro EQ sound from its previous firmware versions. So I also am guessing that it is behaving like the AK240 right now.

My AK120 is still on v1.33 and I did not want to upgrade to v1.37 previously because of this Pro EQ change. Previously I am not sure if I can get back the original v1.33 SQ (or even the best SQ) after upgrading by doing what we found out based on AK240, so I never upgraded my AK120. But now that I have AK240, I guess I can sacrifice my AK120 and upgrade it to the latest firmware to confirm for you. Will get back with my feedback once I have done it and do a detailed listening.

Thank you Bluebear. Your feedback would be most appreciated :)

Jun 3, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #3,528 of 9,131
  I guess I can sacrifice my AK120 and upgrade it to the latest firmware to confirm for you. Will get back with my feedback once I have done it and do a detailed listening.

Not to worry if you want to switch back to FW 1.32, or any other earlier FW's. Some of us have a whole set from FW 1.00 on....if you need something PM me...
wink.gif

Jun 3, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #3,529 of 9,131

The Tera's Max Capacity is whatever the largest SD card is at the moment > 256GB

Just keepin' it real...
wink.gif

Keep it more real that we all are not collectors but do buy and sell of new/let go in trying to catch up with this hobby.   

Jun 3, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #3,531 of 9,131

Aww, come on now.....you know that's impossible.....catching up is forever...
wink_face.gif

I bet you won't stop [catching up]? Happy listening 
o2smile.gif

Jun 3, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #3,532 of 9,131
Btw anyone tried to see if the AK240 could be used as DAC for their smartphone?

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #3,533 of 9,131
Btw anyone tried to see if the AK240 could be used as DAC for their smartphone?

Yes and no it didn't work for my smartphone (Samsung Galaxy J SC-02F).

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #3,534 of 9,131
Yes and no it didn't work for my smartphone (Samsung Galaxy J SC-02F).

Aww shucks, that's a bummer. :frowning2:
Thanks for the feedback!

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #3,535 of 9,131

IMO the Tera Player is even more ridiculous and unjustified in comparison. But as you said, it's a personal opinion..

Have you owned or tried one? Is it more ridiculous than the AK240 who's SQ is in the same ballpark as DAPs with one third of its price? I own both, and many other "audiophile" iems or DAPS or cables that many people would consider "ridiculous". This thread is not about the Tera.

I did not says the AK240 price was ridiculous. Just that, in my system of value, it falls below what I has hoped for. Still a good player though.

Jun 4, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #3,536 of 9,131

Have you owned or tried one? Is it more ridiculous than the AK240 who's SQ is in the same ballpark as DAPs with one third of its price? I own both, and many other "audiophile" iems or DAPS or cables that many people would consider "ridiculous". This thread is not about the Tera.

I did not says the AK240 price was ridiculous. Just that, in my system of value, it falls below what I has hoped for. Still a good player though.

In that sense i'm curious, do you find Tera's price justified if compared to the AK240?

Jun 4, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #3,537 of 9,131

In that sense i'm curious, do you find Tera's price justified if compared to the AK240?

The recent price rise of the Tera make it overpriced IMO. I paid mine 960 euros (stealth) at the time, and I am happy of the performance. Overpriced also, but less than the AK. At 2k$, the Tera is pushing it, a lot. All IMO of course.

Jun 4, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #3,538 of 9,131
Most of us use our portable DAPs in public places with noise and distraction. I have no doubt that the 240 would outperform my well worn iMod under ideal listening conditions. I doubt that any difference between a 240mod and a stock 240 could be detectable where I do most of my mobile listening. 

FWIW I did demoed the rwak240 in a very busy and noisy restaurant and the difference vs stock ak240 playing the exact same track with even a not fully closed IEM is VERY noticeable.

But I guess your point stands regardless as we are spending so much to chase that last inch of incremental SQ we might better be spending that time and effort and money to get to a chill and quiet place to enjoy the music!

Jun 4, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #3,539 of 9,131
FWIW I did demoed the rwak240 in a very busy and noisy restaurant and the difference vs stock ak240 playing the exact same track with even a not fully closed IEM is VERY noticeable.

But I guess your point stands regardless as we are spending so much to chase that last inch of incremental SQ we might better be spending that time and effort and money to get to a chill and quiet place to enjoy the music!

+1
Should one decide to go for the mod, I think it's worth to familiar on how the stock 240 can do before taking the fall.  

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #3,540 of 9,131

ahh yes, we head-fiers do find ourselves listening to the equipment rather than the music at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back