The Astell & Kern AK240
Jun 3, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #3,512 of 9,131
  Nice setup! how does the Dita Truth sound?? by the way how much is that Dita Truth? 

That's actually the AK240 > ALO Rx3B+ > Audeze LCD-X in the photo.

The DITA truth is an IEM that costs $650 USD which is a terrific match with the AK240. It doesn't need additional amping in my opinion. Heck it even sounds pretty fine directly out of my iPhone. The LCD-X on the other hand sounds significantly better driven my an external amp.

Jun 3, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #3,513 of 9,131
Yes, I mentioned about the EQ behavior of the AK240 when Gavin (@spkrs01
) posted about his observation and then we got into a pm conversation discussing about its effect on the SQ since both of us are running the same setup with AK240 -> Ref. 1. So we decided to share what we have observed so far from our experimentation below: 

These are our findings so far. Seems like now at firmware 1.11, the SQ sounds better with EQ On but set at flat neutral curve than without EQ. Can any early AK240 owners remember if there was a difference between Pro EQ versus no EQ on the earlier firmware versions? I clearly remembered there was a significant difference when turning on Pro EQ versus no EQ when I first bought my AK240 running on earlier firmware versions. Seems like AK did the same thing to AK240's Pro EQ just like what happened to AK120 on firmware 1.37 and swapped the Pro EQ with the EQ On with flat neutral curve (i.e. Pro EQ became the default no EQ sound signature).

Side note: The Tralucent Ref. 1 sounds sublime with AK240 :beerchug:  I think I have passed the 100 hours burn-in mark.

Hey Bluebear, I'm still on the AK120 (for now) but if I'm understanding your post correctly, you are saying that on version 1.37 of the AK120 firmware, the flattest, most neutral EQ setting, is achieved by selecting PRO EQ. Is this correct?

Jun 3, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #3,514 of 9,131
Hey Bluebear, I'm still on the AK120 (for now) but if I'm understanding your post correctly, you are saying that on version 1.37 of the AK120 firmware, the flattest, most neutral EQ setting, is achieved by selecting PRO EQ. Is this correct?

Are we talking about the case of AK240 only?  Or you may try out with your Ak120 and let us know if this works for 120.

Jun 3, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #3,515 of 9,131
Are we talking about the case of AK240 only?  Or you may try out with your Ak120 and let us know if this works for 120.

I think Bluebear is saying this applies to both units. I'm just trying to make sure I fully understood his meaning :)

Jun 3, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #3,516 of 9,131
I think Bluebear is saying this applies to both units. I'm just trying to make sure I fully understood his meaning
smily_headphones1.gif

Hope that works for your unit. Cheers

Jun 3, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #3,518 of 9,131
The price is not justified IMO, but it is a very personal matter.

IMO the Tera Player is even more ridiculous and unjustified in comparison. But as you said, it's a personal opinion..

Jun 3, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #3,519 of 9,131
Just purchased an AK240, will have to try switching the EQ off & on & listen for a difference. Normally I don't like any additional circuitry in the signal path. I previously has a 120 & never used the EQ. Also for my ears I don't need external amplification when going portable with UE TripleFi 10's. I rarely need to go above 50' on the volume setting. At home with Senn 600's I use a custom Cary OTL amp connected with Nordost Hemdal II with great success.

Jun 3, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #3,520 of 9,131
It seems to me that if such moding could deliver a discernible SC improvement in a $2500 DAP, then the price on the stock player is hard to justify.

A finished product is often carefully thought out in terms of overall performance.

If you spend a few hundred on tuning your supercar engine might make it a bit faster in performance, but it doesn't mean it's not worth the few hundred thousands you spent on the car.

Jun 3, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #3,521 of 9,131
A finished product is often carefully thought out in terms of overall performance.

If you spend a few hundred on tuning your supercar engine might make it a bit faster in performance, but it doesn't mean it's not worth the few hundred thousands you spent on the car.

+1

Jun 3, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #3,522 of 9,131

IMO the Tera Player is even more ridiculous and unjustified in comparison. But as you said, it's a personal opinion..

Think of the reverse, how fast the AK 1st generations depreciate and that means a price increase in a different form.  

Should an item can hold its value then regardless how much you've paid for you'd get the value back when resell that particular item.   

Jun 3, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #3,523 of 9,131
Think of the reverse, how fast the AK 1st generations depreciate and that means a price increase in a different form.  

Should an item can hold its value then regardless how much you've paid for you'd get the value back when resell that particular item.   

If you are looking at it at a collectors point of view then maybe since the production is basically just a single guy compared to an international company. But most of us are not collectors, nor will most of us pay $2-3k+ for a 2nd hand item which can only play wav. with a max capacity of 8 gig and no UI interface for navigation even if the SQ might be on par or slightly better than a fully featured and functional AK240 which you can get brand new for the same price.
Well that's just my personal opinion anyway. YMMV

Jun 3, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #3,524 of 9,131

Any set of design choices require tradeoffs. Usually those design choices that require the fewest command the highest prices; that's how we find ourselves in a world of $2500 portable DAPs. I presume a bench top mod of an out of the box AK240 is intended to further reduce the number of compromises in the AK's design.  ...but the implication of such a mod is that remaining compromises are easily found and remedied. The conclusion I draw is that either the AK240 isn't the no-compromises device that it claims to be or the mod cannot really deliver additional sonic performance (at least in real world listening environments). Most of us use our portable DAPs in public places with noise and distraction. I have no doubt that the 240 would outperform my well worn iMod under ideal listening conditions. I doubt that any difference between a 240mod and a stock 240 could be detectable where I do most of my mobile listening. 

Jun 3, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #3,525 of 9,131
wink.gif

If you are looking at it at a collectors point of view then maybe since the production is basically just a single guy compared to an international company. But most of us are not collectors, nor will most of us pay $2-3k+ for a 2nd hand item which can only play wav. with a max capacity of 8 gig and no UI interface for navigation even if the SQ might be on par or slightly better than a fully featured and functional AK240 which you can get brand new for the same price.
Well that's just my personal opinion anyway. YMMV

The Tera's Max Capacity is whatever the largest SD card is at the moment > 256GB

Just keepin' it real...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back