The Astell & Kern AK240
Jun 1, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #3,482 of 9,131
Let's say I want to get the best out of HD800 or LCD-3, which amp is best for both headphones? Is Hugo better or those woo audio, schiit, sonett? Thx. How much do I need to spent in order to get what I hope to experience? I have decided to ditch my HiFi and concentrate in HeadFi as I can't afford he best in Hifi world but I might be able for the HeadFi.

Try Chord Hugo? I think it's a great combination.

Jun 1, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #3,483 of 9,131
I have been doing some comparisons with my 901 using the SE5 and NT6, both single ended and balanced with the AK240.

First thing: to my ears, SE vs. balanced brings very minimal change if any with these iems. I will still get a balaced cable for the NT6 as it might bring some depth to the sound, but it will be a very small change.

Second thing: while the AK240 sound very good (much much more to my liking than the AK120), it still does not have the power / body / authority of the 901. So I think I will send it to Vinnie for a mod, because my aim is to replace the 901, not complement it. I am hoping the RWAK240 will be closer to the 901.

AS a note, my AK240 has been playing for 30 to 40 hours.

Jun 1, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #3,484 of 9,131

Just got this adaptor to run my LCD-X balanced from my AK240. I can only hear one channel of sound. When I pull the plug out half way I can hear the other channel only. It's not the balanced output as I run it in fully balanced more using my Rx3B+ without any problems. Any suggestions for trouble shooting before I send it back?

Jun 1, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #3,485 of 9,131
  I have been doing some comparisons with my 901 using the SE5 and NT6, both single ended and balanced with the AK240.

First thing: to my ears, SE vs. balanced brings very minimal change if any with these iems. I will still get a balaced cable for the NT6 as it might bring some depth to the sound, but it will be a very small change.

Second thing: while the AK240 sound very good (much much more to my liking than the AK120), it still does not have the power / body / authority of the 901. So I think I will send it to Vinnie for a mod, because my aim is to replace the 901, not complement it. I am hoping the RWAK240 will be closer to the 901.

AS a note, my AK240 has been playing for 30 to 40 hours.

I'm getting tempted to do the same, as I did like how the 901 sounded as well.

Jun 1, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #3,486 of 9,131

Just got this adaptor to run my LCD-X balanced from my AK240. I can only hear one channel of sound. When I pull the plug out half way I can hear the other channel only. It's not the balanced output as I run it in fully balanced more using my Rx3B+ without any problems. Any suggestions for trouble shooting before I send it back?

Send it back and get a replacement cable that way you'll know for sure ....very nice looking cable as I have the copper cables in 2.5 balanced for my shure SE846

Jun 1, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #3,487 of 9,131
Try Chord Hugo? I think it's a great combination.

i think the DAC in AK240 is really good enough, so if getting Hugo, it would be a waste i think. So i think i just need an external amp. i was wondering if desktop amp is better than portable or transportable amp. if anyone here using desktop amp, kindly advise as i have already forgotten the past 230 pages due to keep thinking of this thing everyday. haha.

Jun 1, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #3,488 of 9,131
If you all do end up sending for the RWAK240, do come back with your thoughts. Currently impressions are scarce enough where I'm skeptical as to whether or not there's a substantial improvement.

Jun 1, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #3,489 of 9,131
i think the DAC in AK240 is really good enough, so if getting Hugo, it would be a waste i think. So i think i just need an external amp. i was wondering if desktop amp is better than portable or transportable amp. if anyone here using desktop amp, kindly advise as i have already forgotten the past 230 pages due to keep thinking of this thing everyday. haha.

I agree that the AK240 DAC is good enough but there is no doubt to me that Hugo makes AK240 even better.

The only problem is to decide if one should use AK240 + Hugo single ended or AK240 balk balanced.

Jun 1, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #3,490 of 9,131
Let's say I want to get the best out of HD800 or LCD-3, which amp is best for both headphones? Is Hugo better or those woo audio, schiit, sonett? Thx. How much do I need to spent in order to get what I hope to experience? I have decided to ditch my HiFi and concentrate in HeadFi as I can't afford he best in Hifi world but I might be able for the HeadFi.

I feel the top of this hobby costs more or less the same except for the real estate cost

Jun 2, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #3,491 of 9,131
I feel the top of this hobby costs more or less the same except for the real estate cost

Definitely not the same costs involved. An entry-level DAC for HiFi costs the price of the AK240. Add speakers, cables, source, etc. That said, as represented by ratios, the AK240 is trying to be the 100.000$ source/DAC. 

Jun 2, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #3,493 of 9,131
Definitely not the same costs involved. An entry-level DAC for HiFi costs the price of the AK240. Add speakers, cables, source, etc. That said, as represented by ratios, the AK240 is trying to be the 100.000$ source/DAC. 

For source/transport components, the hifi ones can also be used for head fi
For pre/amp, i see people using krell for he-6, burmester for hd800
For psu/cables/power cords, they are the
Its why i think they are the same cost

Jun 2, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #3,494 of 9,131
I should have explained myself better: AK is trying to be the hi end of the market. As such, you can't compare vs. prices. They want their stuff to be compared to the best. Thus, comparing to entry level stuff isn't fair to what they are trying to achieve. Of course, hifi and headphones are completely different worlds. I don't believe AK 'get' the hifi world or the hi-end world yet. I don't know if they ever will. We can hope. 

Jun 2, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #3,495 of 9,131

I'm getting tempted to do the same, as I did like how the 901 sounded as well.

I'm surprised to read this as I thought were happy with AK240 as it is. Do you need the extra power for portable IEM type listening or for home use?

I am very happy with it, but I do like the idea of what he is doing. I said in a few places that the AK240 can sound a little thin at times.

It is not about extra power, it is about adding capacitance to the power rails for better power delivery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back