The Astell & Kern AK240
May 31, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #3,466 of 9,131
Hi I am a little confused as to where are you. Are you in HK or SG?

I just got my AK240 last week in HK and a few shops in Mongkok are carrying AK240 inventory, even the gold one. I ordered AKR03 last week and this week while I am in the US they sent me message that I can get it next week.

And yes, I read through this post and I surrendered around post 180-190 and bought it.

I cannot vouch for this but FYI someone from the dealer claimed they have sold around 5000 units of AK240. If this is true then its a scary number.

No matter from HK or SG, good luck hunting.

I am actually currently in Papua New Guinea. I don't think many ppl have heard of this country. Hopefully by the time I get from HK in July they still hv in stock. Kind of feeling uneasy right now, wanting some thing so much yet can't get my hands on it is rather torturing! :mad:

May 31, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #3,467 of 9,131
I am actually currently in Papua New Guinea. I don't think many ppl have heard of this country. Hopefully by the time I get from HK in July they still hv in stock. Kind of feeling uneasy right now, wanting some thing so much yet can't get my hands on it is rather torturing!
mad.gif

Try Sydney Australia or Melbourne both have shops that stock AK and will post to P&G surely as it is close by, or go for a weekend not far.

May 31, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #3,468 of 9,131
I also wanted to mention a few additional things:
  • I am using the "white" (bright) filters on my Shure SE-846.
  • The EQ is also a bit extended on the highs at the 16K adjustment as well. For me at that range it made the "least difference" 
  • I agree with previous posts that if you are using a silver "litz" cable it will help shape the sound differently and filters and EQ setting will need to be re-adjusted after each change.

Sincerely,
Speedracer1

May 31, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #3,469 of 9,131
Had a little 240 meet today!

The gold limited edition AK240, and the new case for my 240

The distressed look brown case of the Gold AK240

The stand is very impressive solid metal block, very heavy.................... 

May 31, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #3,470 of 9,131

spkrs01 and myself just tried eq off and eq on @ flat settings. Confirm your report, eq off is actually quite boosted, "eq flat" definitely sounded more neutral and natural.Will have to retesting the pairing with different phones again. I wish the manufacturers will stop doing this. EQ Off should be FLAT!

May 31, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #3,471 of 9,131
  spkrs01 and myself just tried eq off and eq on @ flat settings. Confirm your report, eq off is actually quite boosted, "eq flat" definitely sounded more neutral and natural.Will have to retesting the pairing with different phones again. I wish the manufacturers will stop doing this. EQ Off should be FLAT!

I noticed the same thing. I can't seem to get the settings in EQ to sound any better than EQ off however.

May 31, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #3,472 of 9,131
I tested some headphone pairing before and on the LCD X/XC, the mids/trebles sounded quite analytical with EQ off. Now with EQ Flat, the mids and treble sounded more musical with better stage depth.I prefer this setting.

May 31, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #3,473 of 9,131
Let's say I want to get the best out of HD800 or LCD-3, which amp is best for both headphones? Is Hugo better or those woo audio, schiit, sonett? Thx. How much do I need to spent in order to get what I hope to experience? I have decided to ditch my HiFi and concentrate in HeadFi as I can't afford he best in Hifi world but I might be able for the HeadFi.

May 31, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #3,474 of 9,131
Let's say I want to get the best out of HD800 or LCD-3, which amp is best for both headphones? Is Hugo better or those woo audio, schiit, sonett? Thx. How much do I need to spent in order to get what I hope to experience? I have decided to ditch my HiFi and concentrate in HeadFi as I can't afford he best in Hifi world but I might be able for the HeadFi.

Many people here have had very good sucess with the Duet, it powers my HD-800 very well, when paired with the AK-240. If you go back in the thread,Rudi has done a lot of testing with the AK-240, and different portable amps.

May 31, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #3,476 of 9,131

I can't speak for HD800 but for Audeze, I like Rx3B+ for portable, Auralic Taurus II for desktop, paired with AK240.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back