The Astell & Kern AK240
May 29, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #3,451 of 9,131
After reading this whole 230 pages of AK240 thread, the poison is getting strong each day!! 

I am really new to this thing. I only started out my HiFi hobby for about 4years ago. 1st set was the entry level set : Marantz CD6003, Marantz PM6003, Mordaunt Short Aviano Bookshelf speaker & iPod Classic / iPod Touch which i sold off after about 2years listening as i want something better. 2nd set till now : Naim Uniti2, ProAc Tablette Anniversary speaker with Mac Mini via VDH digital optical cable and Audivana Plus SW. (i didn't know the existence of high end DAP until i flip through WhatHiFi June14 magazine). So i only have this little knowledge on HiFi.

Now, the temptation of AK240 is extremely strong. I haven't got one yet as i am still stuck in working overseas (Papua New Guinea), and can only go back to Malaysia around September. I have been thinking of ordering from HK, but given the price of these things, i have no surprise if the parcel went missing (trust me, anything can happen here).  Shall see if i can wait till September, if not i will have to make a trip to HK in July. haha...

1. DSD.
Its from reading this forum that i know the existence of DSD as previously i thought lossless is the highest digital format and thats is why my collection is all in ALAC (i know the existence of SACD but didn't know ripped songs from SACD is called DSD.
basshead.gif
 Where do you guys normally get those DSD songs? There are few sites listed on this thread to download a few free DSD, but anyone here listen to Cantonese or Chinese DSD? where can i get them? And juz curious, do u guys exchange DSD songs? whats the size of an average DSD .dsf song? 

2. Headphones. 
Do those Audio shops in HK provide 2.5mm balanced termination to the IEMs or headphones that we buy from them?  I am asking because i ask a few shops in Singapore and none of them provide such services, but most of them just ignore my mail. Thats the main reason i choose AKR03 as it comes with both cables, if not i would also have go for IE800 (given the good that has been floating around this forum, but if i remember correctly someone is saying that moving around with IE800 will cause painful noise to the ear while the silicon thingy move around in the ear?), or the SE846. I would also want a headphone too on top of the IEMs, my choice is HD800 (coz i see a lot, really a lot of u guys using this), AKG K812 (seems like not mentioned here at all), or LCD-3. I think these 3 are open backed cans. Which one can best drive without an external amp? I only own a Grado SR80i for a year and sold it as i wanted something even better.

3. RWAK240.
May i ask how does long does the battery last compared to the original AK240? I believe the only way to get this is order via Red Wine? or there are some shops in HK that actually have these? 

Man, i thought my HiFi was already expensive (at least to me), but portable HiFi aint cheap too..

Pardon for the long post. 

May 29, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #3,452 of 9,131

Bro, mind sharing where did you get that remote control? shops in HK or via online? 

Hi Unique,  PMed you the shop contact details (in Hong Kong).

May 29, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #3,453 of 9,131
  I've tried pro and custom settings. What I found is that I could not get the custom settings to my satisfaction.
For Pro, when I would put it on, the volume would actually drop and the sound seemed muted......I just leave it off.

Same here. I've found the Pro setting offers nothing to any SQ significance and just simply leave it off.

May 29, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #3,455 of 9,131

3. RWAK240.
May i ask how does long does the battery last compared to the original AK240? I believe the only way to get this is order via Red Wine? or there are some shops in HK that actually have these? 

If you are seriously consider the RWAK then you should order directly via Red Wine Audio as they do carry brand new AK240 and can deliver with the required mod to your needs.            

May 29, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #3,457 of 9,131
He's got it bad.... I believe he's hooked. Same thing happened to me, I was reading head-Fi for years, finally joined, now there's no going back..

It's a very civilized hobby.

May 29, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #3,458 of 9,131
Anyone knows which shops currently carry AK240 & AKR03 in Singapore? I dun think I can wait as got a coworker coming in from Singapore next week. Shall get my friend in Singapore to get it for me tomorrow!!!!! Yes I m hook. N even my friend here is hook too after I recommended him the better Marantz and ProAc studio speaker. Now also want to buy this AK240!! I found it hard to find a friend with similar hobby as I tried to poison another friend who is not into Hifi but it doesn't work on him.

May 29, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #3,460 of 9,131
After reading this whole 230 pages of AK240 thread, the poison is getting strong each day!! 

I am really new to this thing. I only started out my HiFi hobby for about 4years ago. 1st set was the entry level set : Marantz CD6003, Marantz PM6003, Mordaunt Short Aviano Bookshelf speaker & iPod Classic / iPod Touch which i sold off after about 2years listening as i want something better. 2nd set till now : Naim Uniti2, ProAc Tablette Anniversary speaker with Mac Mini via VDH digital optical cable and Audivana Plus SW. (i didn't know the existence of high end DAP until i flip through WhatHiFi June14 magazine). So i only have this little knowledge on HiFi.

Now, the temptation of AK240 is extremely strong. I haven't got one yet as i am still stuck in working overseas (Papua New Guinea), and can only go back to Malaysia around September. I have been thinking of ordering from HK, but given the price of these things, i have no surprise if the parcel went missing (trust me, anything can happen here).  Shall see if i can wait till September, if not i will have to make a trip to HK in July. haha...

1. DSD.
Its from reading this forum that i know the existence of DSD as previously i thought lossless is the highest digital format and thats is why my collection is all in ALAC (i know the existence of SACD but didn't know ripped songs from SACD is called DSD. :basshead:  Where do you guys normally get those DSD songs? There are few sites listed on this thread to download a few free DSD, but anyone here listen to Cantonese or Chinese DSD? where can i get them? And juz curious, do u guys exchange DSD songs? whats the size of an average DSD .dsf song? 

2. Headphones. 
Do those Audio shops in HK provide 2.5mm balanced termination to the IEMs or headphones that we buy from them?  I am asking because i ask a few shops in Singapore and none of them provide such services, but most of them just ignore my mail. Thats the main reason i choose AKR03 as it comes with both cables, if not i would also have go for IE800 (given the good that has been floating around this forum, but if i remember correctly someone is saying that moving around with IE800 will cause painful noise to the ear while the silicon thingy move around in the ear?), or the SE846. I would also want a headphone too on top of the IEMs, my choice is HD800 (coz i see a lot, really a lot of u guys using this), AKG K812 (seems like not mentioned here at all), or LCD-3. I think these 3 are open backed cans. Which one can best drive without an external amp? I only own a Grado SR80i for a year and sold it as i wanted something even better.

3. RWAK240.

Man, i thought my HiFi was already expensive (at least to me), but portable HiFi aint cheap too..

Pardon for the long post. 

You can get most of the stuff you want through Jaben KL or Singapore.

You can also order balanced cable for most good brands, but you need to pre-order(at the moment) in this part of the world.

You are right that AKR03 comes with both single ended and balanced cable though.

May 31, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #3,463 of 9,131
To flymetothemoon and Saraguie,

After listening to a lot of various music including (DSD, PCM, Flac, Wav, 24/2.8Mhz, 24/176Mhz and conventional CD recordings at 16/44.100Mhz.  I attempted to match the AK with the EQ settings shown as disabled (off).  With the custom EQ filter (pictured below).  It took several days and a ton of time to get the EQ settings to line up perfectly using my Shure SE-846 with the standard 3.5 unbalanced stock cable supplied from Shure.  
Please Note: I did very slightly "open" the upper mid's but that could be modified (reduced) my adjusting down the 2K EQ setting by .5 db.

IMO the AK240 with EQ set to "Off" does in fact supply significant boost in the default or off mode!  I think the only time the device is actually flat or db gain is when you set the EQ yourself to 0db across the 10 bands of EQ.  

Sincerely,
Speedracer 

Quote:
  Same here. I've found the Pro setting offers nothing to any SQ significance and just simply leave it off.

I've tried pro and custom settings. What I found is that I could not get the custom settings to my satisfaction.
For Pro, when I would put it on, the volume would actually drop and the sound seemed muted......I just leave it off.

May 31, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #3,464 of 9,131
Anyone knows which shops currently carry AK240 & AKR03 in Singapore? I dun think I can wait as got a coworker coming in from Singapore next week. Shall get my friend in Singapore to get it for me tomorrow!!!!! Yes I m hook. N even my friend here is hook too after I recommended him the better Marantz and ProAc studio speaker. Now also want to buy this AK240!! I found it hard to find a friend with similar hobby as I tried to poison another friend who is not into Hifi but it doesn't work on him.

Hi I am a little confused as to where are you. Are you in HK or SG?

I just got my AK240 last week in HK and a few shops in Mongkok are carrying AK240 inventory, even the gold one. I ordered AKR03 last week and this week while I am in the US they sent me message that I can get it next week.

And yes, I read through this post and I surrendered around post 180-190 and bought it.

I cannot vouch for this but FYI someone from the dealer claimed they have sold around 5000 units of AK240. If this is true then its a scary number.

No matter from HK or SG, good luck hunting.

May 31, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #3,465 of 9,131

Users who are viewing this thread

Back