The Astell & Kern AK240
May 28, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #3,421 of 9,131
Yes, considering I dont even have an AK240.... I am so far from end game portable...

regarding the uber cable, a friend is gonna lend me his this weekend for a week.In exchange, I am gonna lend him my Ref 1 so to spread the love for these awesome iems..considering the price of uber, my expectation is Siltech grade... report back after more listening next week..

I've got a TWAU Reference from whiplash being made, someone here on head fi has used both, they said the whiplash is very similar sounding. And at less then half the price.

May 28, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #3,422 of 9,131
I've got a TWAU Reference from whiplash being made, someone here on head fi has used both, they said the whiplash is very similar sounding. And at less then half the price.

Thats great! I hope to try twau in thr future, too. Kiats let me audition some of his Toxic cables collections for FitEar. Those are also beautifully crafted with appreciative improvement and character.

May 28, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #3,424 of 9,131
A bit tempted here as well but I've been contemplating about how to ask someone to convert jumper cables into really short Mini to Mini connects or even 6.3-mm to RCA ones for Hugo

http://www.thecableco.com/Product/Emperor-Double-Crown-Jumper

Jeez....can't you find something more 'high end' than a $3500 cable to butcher up to make an interconnect? Shurely there's a way to spend at least $10K to make some....Oh wait....I found some: Nordost ODIN Supreme Reference Cables – $20,000

May 28, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #3,426 of 9,131
May 28, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #3,428 of 9,131
I actually have the Twau ref cable from whiplash with the balanced plug for the AK240 but actually prefer the litz silver cable I got from Ted afterwards.

May 28, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #3,430 of 9,131
  Holeout,

A very sincere "thank you" for sharing your view with respect to these two current "state of the art" players and the SQ improvements with the RWAK240.  I was wondering exactly what modified balanced 2.5mm stock cable you used to conduct your listening tests?  How was it modified?  

Second question: Have you heard the HD800 and ever compared it to the LCD X?  

Third question: Do you think the RWAK240 could easily drive (to high volume) either the HD800 or LCD X cans?

Final question: Do you find a SQ difference between the 3.5mm unbalanced and the 2.5mm balanced output?  Could you please describe?

Thank you in advance,
Sincerely,
Speedracer1. 

You are most welcomed.

1) I use the stock LCD balanced cable and cut it down to ~ 48 in. and soldered on a 2.5mm TRRS connector to it. Serves well when it want to take the LCDs out on field.

2)  The HD800 is predominately my reference and evaluation phone, very revealing and truthful for better or worse. LCD X is more of a leisure phone for me, much easier on hard and software.

3)  My RWAK can drive the LCD X / XC to high levels, usually 65 to 67 on the 240 is plenty loud with music files of normal levels. With the HD800, I'll be pushing at 70  (single ended) to get it to listenable levels. On some music, I was pushing close to max at 75 but do notice the distortion. Guess I'm spoilt by the ALO SS and Mass Kobo 394.

4)  With the LCD X /XC, I do notice differences between the SE and balanced HP out, IMO in brief:

Treble/Mids - Balanced out has better separation, body and definition; SE out is a touch thinner, a bit less well defined

Bass - Balanced has more extension and control

Stage - Balanced is deeper and wider, better layering

Please note that the differences I heard are subtle and pairing with other phone or iems, mileage may vary.

May 28, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #3,432 of 9,131
I bought the RWAK 240 directly from Vinnie, so no idea what the mod only lead time is for now. Just shoot RWA an email, Vinnie is very responsive.

May 28, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #3,435 of 9,131
What are you guys doing with your EQ settings? I leave mine off for the most part.

I tried "Pro", didn't like it so now I just leave it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back