The Astell & Kern AK240
May 25, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #3,347 of 9,131
I can assure you that the 2 phones is a totally different monster, you should really audition the XC and decide. We (CosmicHG, Kiats, KKCC and sprks01) did a comparison with stock AK240 and RWAK yesterday and the RWAK version does have a slightly more engaging bottom end with better body/presence in mid/treble with the iems we tried (Fitears C435, Tralucent Ref 1 and AKG 3003), so it's hard to say if the 900 will pair better with the stock version. That why I ask if sprks01 can share his comments with us. A bit here and there does add up in the game we play!

Yep, the PM-1 has been on my radar. But I'm starting to run out of space to hang my headphones! Not to mention I wanted to save some more space for maybe a couple more amps, a killer dac and vinyl setup, help! 

Thanks for the great review for the 900 and XC! :)

I was going to get a th900 for my upcoming rwak240 but now I think I need to think about other options... :wink:

In your opinion, which IEM/headphones do u think pairs with the rwak240 best? I'm looking forward on the ref.1 and k3003 now... Hope it will not have the problem of over powering....

May 25, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #3,348 of 9,131
Thanks, a fresh download worked first time.  Either the A&K version is buggy or corrupted, but anyway I can transfer properly now.  The only other software fault is nothing to do with A&K but the Android system.  It counts files 1,10,11,..2,20,21 etc and as a result you have to renumber files if the order is important (which it is with Classical).  OSX and even Windows got rid of that long ago.  Still the music makes it all worthwhile.

May 25, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #3,349 of 9,131
I can assure you that the 2 phones is a totally different monster, you should really audition the XC and decide. We (CosmicHG, Kiats, KKCC and sprks01) did a comparison with stock AK240 and RWAK yesterday and the RWAK version does have a slightly more engaging bottom end with better body/presence in mid/treble with the iems we tried (Fitears C435, Tralucent Ref 1 and AKG 3003), so it's hard to say if the 900 will pair better with the stock version. That why I ask if sprks01 can share his comments with us. A bit here and there does add up in the game we play!

Yep, the PM-1 has been on my radar. But I'm starting to run out of space to hang my headphones! Not to mention I wanted to save some more space for maybe a couple more amps, a killer dac and vinyl setup, help! 

Yup agreed. I'd probably also opt for the rwak if I don't have my ak240 already!! But now I guess I'd probably sticking to stock with the extra cost plus shipping hassles involved in getting mine modded.

May 25, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #3,350 of 9,131
  I would be grateful if you could help me.  I have an AK240 and still wonder at the quality of music.  However, connection with a MAC is not good and after losing a folder with over 80gb of files (luckily I had made a backup) also got fed up with ATP and following your posts downloaded SyncMate Expert.  The trouble is that I cannot make it sync!  I am asked for "USB Debugging" and follow the instructions but we obviously have modified software and cannot do what they suggest.

How did you get it to sync? I deleted ATP and then restarted my Mac but it make no difference.

Thanks for your help,

David

SyncMate can mount a MTP folder on the desktop, so you can copy files directly to it. Do not copy many gigabytes of files at one time, either with Android File Transfer or any other method. It is very annoying that a regular USB transfer cannot be done with the AK240.

May 25, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #3,351 of 9,131
Thanks for the great review for the 900 and XC!
smily_headphones1.gif

I was going to get a th900 for my upcoming rwak240 but now I think I need to think about other options...
wink.gif

In your opinion, which IEM/headphones do u think pairs with the rwak240 best? I'm looking forward on the ref.1 and k3003 now... Hope it will not have the problem of over powering....

Of the phones in my possession, my top 3 order of preference - 1) LCD X, 2) LCD XC, 3) Bayer T5P

For iems, both K3003 and Tralucent 1+2 pairs really well, each with it unique flavours that I love. I don't have the ref 1 yet and the demo pair I listened to is almost fresh out of the box so accurate assessment is difficult. But from what I heard, I do feel it should be an excellent pairing with the RWAK when burnt in. 

There are so many good phones and iems in the market that may pair well with the 240 so can't really say what's best. Just what I like most within my inventory. Happy shopping
gs1000.gif

May 25, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #3,352 of 9,131
A new question to AK240 owners: how do you transfer your files to AK240? can you just drag and drop files?? and does 'folder browsing' function works like Rockbox? does it show you folders in alphabetical order? 

beerchug.gif

May 25, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #3,353 of 9,131
  A new question to AK240 owners: how do you transfer your files to AK240? can you just drag and drop files?? and does 'folder browsing' function works like Rockbox? does it show you folders in alphabetical order? 

beerchug.gif

The recommended way is using Android Transfer-there's a dedicated one for Mac users and one for Windows. I've had SyncMate recommended here as an alternative transfer program. You do drag and drop. Can't say about Rockbox(never used) but there is folder browsing along with browsing by Artists, Albums, Genres, etc. Folders are automatically in alphabetical order. I use them somewhat like playlists, which you can create separately.

May 25, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #3,356 of 9,131
Cool, I was wondering if AK240 shows up on my computer like a HDD. I used to have older iRiver products and all of them were not recognized as a flash drive or HDD. I had to sync files with iRiver song manager and it was pain in the ass. Its transfer speed was low and the software was buggy.

May 26, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #3,357 of 9,131
Jus wondering how many coupled AK240 with AKR03? Am really getting impatient for Singapore side to give me the price and stock status for AK240 gold edition and AKR03. But none of the shops have them in stock, and for some they only have the AK240 universal version and JH audio Roxanne universal fit. Reason for choosing the gold version is it comes with dock and Bluetooth remote (apparently I can't find any shops that sell jus the remote control). Worst of all is I m working overseas now and can only go back for short period in September. Intended to get someone to bring in from Singapore for me but they dun hv stock and they aren't able to advise if they have the gold version. Sad......

May 26, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #3,358 of 9,131
Jus wondering how many coupled AK240 with AKR03? Am really getting impatient for Singapore side to give me the price and stock status for AK240 gold edition and AKR03. But none of the shops have them in stock, and for some they only have the AK240 universal version and JH audio Roxanne universal fit. Reason for choosing the gold version is it comes with dock and Bluetooth remote (apparently I can't find any shops that sell jus the remote control). Worst of all is I m working overseas now and can only go back for short period in September. Intended to get someone to bring in from Singapore for me but they dun hv stock and they aren't able to advise if they have the gold version. Sad......
Errr, welcome to head-fi mate.

May 26, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #3,360 of 9,131

Try to source from Hong Kong and should be easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back