The Astell & Kern AK240
May 26, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #3,377 of 9,131
  How many people are using the ak240 with the Chord Hugo?

I sure will when my Sys Concept optical arrive. That is, until a better source comes up :)

May 26, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #3,380 of 9,131

Have you been able to test the QLS QA360's coax out with the hugo yet?

The QLS360 is still on preorder status. Last I heard they will start shipping out mid- June, so a few more weeks to wait :frowning2:

May 26, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #3,383 of 9,131
Help! Can anyone explain/cure/assist the latest "wrinkle"- I'm getting the message "playback stopped. Too many unsupported files. Exiting music player".  In notification drop down it reads: "Playback stopped (unsupported file type.)"
But...the files are either M4a or AIFF- ripped from Cds or purchased from iTunes. (unsupported?!!)
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

May 26, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #3,384 of 9,131
Help! Can anyone explain/cure/assist the latest "wrinkle"- I'm getting the message "playback stopped. Too many unsupported files. Exiting music player".  In notification drop down it reads: "Playback stopped (unsupported file type.)"
But...the files are either M4a or AIFF- ripped from Cds or purchased from iTunes. (unsupported?!!)
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

I did have one issue a month or so ago, where I loaded a AIFF file, and it would not play at all, I converted it to FLAC, no problem. But lots of guys here use AIFF, without any issue. I have no M4a files. My files are either WAV-FLAC-DSD. Good luck.

May 26, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #3,386 of 9,131
  Hi, I notice you have both a RWAK240 and a Chord Hugo. I know they have different uses but have you had a chance to compare them in terms of sound quality? Also, considering the RWAK240 seems to have had improvements made in the amp section compared to the stock model, does it benefit from adding a portable amp like the Intruder? Did you go for the added line out jack or not?

I haven't got to test out a lot of phone/iem combinations with the RWAK yet. it's just starting to run in (about 200 hrs). Did a brief comparison on LCD X and AKG K3003 with RWAK240 and touch/Onkyo player/Hugo side by side:

Software:

Opus DSD Showcase #3 - various tracks
Scheherazade DSD rip - track 4 Festival in Bagdad
Michel Jonasz - La fabuleuse histoire de mister swing 1644 wav- Disc 2 track 2 Le temps passe

RWAK 240 balanced hp out > LCD X (2.5mm balanced modified stock cable) 

Coherent and eurythmic, details in abundance, great instrument separation with an upfront presentation, excellent speed and attack.

Hugo > LCD X (6.3mm stock cable)

Different presentation than 240 - details are spread wider and deeper into the stage, instruments scale larger with a touch better body and decay than 240. Very musical but with speed and attack when called for.

With the LCD X, I favour the Hugo and agree that it's a match that is hard to beat.

With AKG K3003, the gap narrows up between the 2 units, both pairs really with it. The RWAK has a slightly more upfront, highly resolving and exciting signature ; whereas, Hugo is more relaxed and musical. My preference here will really depend on my mood and setting.

(Side note: Some early reviews just in from highly regarded sources in high-end audio trade praising the AK240/balanced Uber/Tralucent Ref. 1 pairing. I'll report back when i can get hold of a pair from spkrs01. I heard the stock is going really fast last time we met.)

IMO, whether you want to add a portable amp to the RWAK 240 will really depend on the phones you want to use, e.g. My ear cannot agree with TH900 straight out of the RWAK, but if you add a ASPT05/T06 in the chain the 900 will take a 180 turn. If you pick the right phones, adding an portable amp may only have a very marginal benefit. (Different story with higher quality desktop amp though)

I bought the RWAK mainly as standalone player and to try out as a source for the Hugo so I did't get the "s" version with true line out. For me, as an all in one player, RWAK 240 is the best I heard in the market right now with quality body to match. 

Cheers.

May 26, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #3,390 of 9,131
I've held down my power button, for about 25-30 seconds, this hard restarts it. Worth a shot.

Thank you. However in my frustration/impatience, I did a  Settings Reset and that worked. Next time-I'm sure there will be a next time!-I'll try your suggestion. Interestingly, after I did a Settings Reset, it erased the music out of the Folder (tho not the Folder itself) that would not play. So I dragged and dropped and now it is playing! Geez. I'm actually looking forward to the next glitch so I can try your recommendation. :wink:) Thanks again...much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back