The Astell & Kern AK240
Oct 29, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #5,761 of 9,131
  HI,

I don't know exact times, but compared to my iPhone, it takes a lot of time to charge, either using a pc connection or a power adapter (apple or belkin). If you charge it turned on, it's probably the slowest charging device I've seen, so I do recommend turning it off for faster charging

cheers

Yes,I charge it while turning off.I charge it with my HTC adaptor for 7 hours.But,I didn't be full yet.

Oct 29, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #5,762 of 9,131
Few questions for AK240 owners :
Even if I have a pair of headphones that can be easily driven by this DAP will I get a much better sound if I use and headphone amplifier or DAC?
Using an amp will the battery life will increase but the player will still get hot?
And for the best SQ out of iRiver is a must to use a DSD capable amplifier,if using a normal amplifier won't be able to play those high quality formats? Thank you for the response.

I did try using my Vorzuge Duo with 240 and found going 240 direct has better SQ.

You won't get better battery life by adding the amp in between as the amp is taking the same processed signal like your earphone does.  No power saving in this case

Oct 29, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #5,763 of 9,131

Assuming you've enabled balance on the software/OS-level options, which plug? I found this issue to be quite plug dependent. The 2.5mm TRRS plugs used by Wagnus in Japan seem to work quite well, similarly the ones used by Tralucent. I didn't have any issues with the JHA/AK's AKR03 Roxanne but it seems some others have. At least between May -> July, I had issues with the connectors used by Whiplash Audio but I don't know if that issue has been resolved by now.

I thought I should follow up with this statement. This past weekend I was at Musica Acoustics exhibit at the Fujiya Autumn Festival and it seems Whiplash has tried these new 2.5mm TRRS plugs which work much better with the AK240s. Nice job Craig

Oct 29, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #5,764 of 9,131
I posted awhile back that a service rep got back to me from iRiver stating that the problem was software related and would be fixed in a coming update. This was in late June. I've learned to live with it even though it can be annoying and at times dangerous to hearing and listening device. I've had extremes of rapidly going to max volume and one other time the volume rapidly dropped to zero. Since the screen swipe volume adjustment can be active while using the volume control knob, I've wondered if I inadvertently swiped the screen while turning the volume knob. You may want to be aware of what your other fingers are doing, while near the screen, and turning the knob.

Good point on your other fingers. I was also told a reinstall of firware can resolve the issue. Apparently that fixed mine. AK did the reinstall for me a few months back.

Oct 30, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #5,767 of 9,131
So is this vokume6 problem a fw issue for sure? Does 1.6 solve the problem vs. 1.5?

This is an excerpt from a service rep email I received. I posted it a few months ago and originally received it on 06/20.

"Problems you are seeing is well known and other users have been experincing random volume skips as well. We are continuing to look into the matter and should be available as a fix from our next firmware update, scheduled later on this month".

​I think we've had at least 2 firmware updates since then and I haven't noticed any real improvement. Maybe it's still in the works or this is as good as it gets. I really don't know. As I recently said, sometimes I think my problem may be user error, unintentional up or down swipes while the volume screen is displayed. Other times I'm not sure.

Oct 30, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #5,768 of 9,131
Oh it's definitely an issue.  Mine is awful.  One turn of the knob will send the volume up around 20 steps or so and down as much as 30 or 40.  It can jump from volume 50 to 75 or all the way down to less than 10 with one turn of the knob.  Yesterday at work I was listening at volume 50 with my K3003's on and I turned the knob one turn and it shot all the way to max 75.  My ears are still ringing.  I just about threw the AK240 across the room.  I have to send it back to Vinnie since I had the RW mod done and he is nice enough to look into the problem to see if there is anything he can do.  The only solution is to pause the music everytime before you adjust the volume so when it jumps way up you won't go deaf and then unpause the music once you get the volume correct.  And I can attest to the fact that it has nothing at all to do with swiping on the screen; I am extremely careful when I adjust the volume as to try to avoid this and my fingers are nowhere near the screen.  It is a faulty volume pot iRiver used.  And I also emailed iRiver months ago about this and received the same standard response that it would be addressed in a future firmware update.  All updates since have not had any effect on the problem.

Oct 30, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #5,769 of 9,131
  Oh it's definitely an issue.  Mine is awful.  One turn of the knob will send the volume up around 20 steps or so and down as much as 30 or 40.  It can jump from volume 50 to 75 or all the way down to less than 10 with one turn of the knob.  Yesterday at work I was listening at volume 50 with my K3003's on and I turned the knob one turn and it shot all the way to max 75.  My ears are still ringing.  I just about threw the AK240 across the room.  I have to send it back to Vinnie since I had the RW mod done and he is nice enough to look into the problem to see if there is anything he can do.  The only solution is to pause the music everytime before you adjust the volume so when it jumps way up you won't go deaf and then unpause the music once you get the volume correct.  And I can attest to the fact that it has nothing at all to do with swiping on the screen; I am extremely careful when I adjust the volume as to try to avoid this and my fingers are nowhere near the screen.  It is a faulty volume pot iRiver used.  And I also emailed iRiver months ago about this and received the same standard response that it would be addressed in a future firmware update.  All updates since have not had any effect on the problem.

I posted this before but the weirdest volume trick I had was a strange interaction between my iPhone and my 240. The iPhone rang and the 240's volume screen came up and proceeded to drop down to zero. I wasn't touching either but they were laying close to each other. It was very eerie.

Oct 30, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #5,770 of 9,131
That's funny; I also have had weird things happening when my iphone is near the AK240.  Even though wifi and bluetooth are never turned on the AK240.  If I could--I would permanently remove those so-called functions.  Now I have to leave my iphone in a drawer as far away as is possible when listening to music.  If it wasn't for the exquisite sound coming from the AK240; I would say it would make a beautiful paper weight. 

Oct 30, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #5,771 of 9,131
  That's funny; I also have had weird things happening when my iphone is near the AK240.  Even though wifi and bluetooth are never turned on the AK240.  If I could--I would permanently remove those so-called functions.  Now I have to leave my iphone in a drawer as far away as is possible when listening to music.  If it wasn't for the exquisite sound coming from the AK240; I would say it would make a beautiful paper weight. 

+ 1 on the sound. Given its few warts and occasional idiosyncratic behavior, it's an incredible piece of technology. I would do it again with no hesitation.

Oct 30, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #5,774 of 9,131
I have had volume problems in only one instance.   This happened when I had just made adjustments in the volume.  The volume screen was up.   It faded to the play screen and I was changing something and the volume jumped.   I think there is a moment when the volume screen is no longer visible but it still operates as if it was still up.  From that point, I always made sure to pause a second after the volume screen drops before using the touchscreen.

Oct 30, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #5,775 of 9,131

I am in the same situation, but the problem is not too bad...so let me know how it goes with Vinnie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back