The Astell & Kern AK240
Oct 30, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #5,776 of 9,131

Oh it's definitely an issue.  Mine is awful.  One turn of the knob will send the volume up around 20 steps or so and down as much as 30 or 40.  It can jump from volume 50 to 75 or all the way down to less than 10 with one turn of the knob.  Yesterday at work I was listening at volume 50 with my K3003's on and I turned the knob one turn and it shot all the way to max 75.  My ears are still ringing.  I just about threw the AK240 across the room.  I have to send it back to Vinnie since I had the RW mod done and he is nice enough to look into the problem to see if there is anything he can do.  The only solution is to pause the music everytime before you adjust the volume so when it jumps way up you won't go deaf and then unpause the music once you get the volume correct.  And I can attest to the fact that it has nothing at all to do with swiping on the screen; I am extremely careful when I adjust the volume as to try to avoid this and my fingers are nowhere near the screen.  It is a faulty volume pot iRiver used.  And I also emailed iRiver months ago about this and received the same standard response that it would be addressed in a future firmware update.  All updates since have not had any effect on the problem.

I am in the same situation, but the problem is not too bad...so let me know how it goes with Vinnie.

Sorry to hear this problem that you have and hope you'd find a fix very soon.  Take care

Oct 31, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #5,778 of 9,131
Does this volume problem affect all models or only modded ak240's? I've never experienced it on my unit.

Don't really have a clue and luckily my unit still running normally.

Oct 31, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #5,779 of 9,131
I've only experienced one volume "anomaly", which occurred a while ago.  It had to do with switching from DSD to FLAC or the other way around.  Don't remember exactly.  But the volume quickly shot up to it's max - my ears took a pounding.  Haven't had an issue since, though I've since been careful when switching between DSD and FLAC.

Oct 31, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #5,780 of 9,131
  I've only experienced one volume "anomaly", which occurred a while ago.  It had to do with switching from DSD to FLAC or the other way around.  Don't remember exactly.  But the volume quickly shot up to it's max - my ears took a pounding.  Haven't had an issue since, though I've since been careful when switching between DSD and FLAC.

Oh yeah, I had that too and I think was addressed via a FW upgrade.

Oct 31, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #5,781 of 9,131
What are good things on 1.16 ? I have 1.15.

I don't update cause I heard bad things about sound on the latest firmware.

But I'm curious about,what improved with 1.16 ? 

Nov 1, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #5,785 of 9,131
Nov 1, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #5,787 of 9,131
On the volume knob issue, Vinnie told me it's a part inside called the rotary encoder failing. Need to have it repaired.

True.Vinnie told me that too.

Can anyone tell me the differences between 1.15 and 1.16 firmware ? What are goodies with 1.16 ?

Nov 1, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #5,788 of 9,131
On the volume knob issue, Vinnie told me it's a part inside called the rotary encoder failing. Need to have it repaired.

Is Vinnie going to fix it for you or need AK to have the parts replaced?

Nov 1, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #5,790 of 9,131
  AK240 inside
:)

Do you suffer any issue on the volume knob after install back? I think the "volume knob holder" design are not reusable, i mean the plastic weaken after removal. Btw what you did to you player :), share share.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back