The Astell & Kern AK240
Nov 2, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #5,807 of 9,131
Perhaps I'm being too harsh on the 240 and I should refrain from passing judgement until I see it in person and hold it.

Haha! Indeed, Warrior1975. You will be pleasantly surprised. It's a nice handy size. And now that you are getting the AK240, ponder the Uber to fully exploit the improvement in SQ... :)

Nov 2, 2014 at 5:49 AM Post #5,809 of 9,131
Nov 2, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #5,812 of 9,131
  The aesthetic of the AK240 has really grown on me in the past few months. I like how it's different in a good way. 

I agree. When I first saw pictures of the 240, I didn't think I would end up liking the aesthetics as much as I now do. I like how it feels in my hand, the heft of it conveying an item of substance, the carbon fibre rear, the cut angles of the casing ... really a work of art.

Nov 2, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #5,813 of 9,131

I received a NEW AK240 two days ago and have been testing on and off (Hey I Have Busy life)..
So far so good..
The wifi connected to my music easily and the range is very good. My wireless router is on the 2nd level and I was receiving without any drop outs at 60-75 feet away.

The Bluetooth works fairly well so far ... I haven't actually tested the range yet. The sound through some very inexpensive Bluetooth headphones sounds good....
I will continue testing and reporting in the coming days.

I purchased this unit on the Amazon Marketplace From ProStudio Sound & Music at a reasonable discount, which included a 64 GB card, a short optical cable and a power supply. I do A lot of business online and these guys were the best ... I give them the highest rating possible. They had me return the unit, reimbursed me for shipping & insurance and provided me with a new unit within 3 days..

Nov 2, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #5,814 of 9,131

I totally agree with you, having actually viewed the real thing and not just a picture of it! I was at the Coronado meet in San Diego, Saturday and it does definitely have that nice heft, the shape makes a lot more sense first hand, the screen is lovely and when I heard the sound through the universal K10 at Noble's table (I put down my $1599 for the K10 then), I was impressed by the cleanness it's soundscape presented. The whole experience with the AK240 showed what a well-thought out piece of artistry and technical proficiency it is!

Nov 2, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #5,815 of 9,131
Just saw your post Rip, so basically disregard my PM, unless you have something to add to it.

I will have mine probably by Monday, such a long time away... Anyway, I'm sending mine to Vinnie, just wondering how long I should wait to ensure the device is functioning properly? I figure a little over a month should suffice. Opinions?

Nov 2, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #5,816 of 9,131
Just saw your post Rip, so basically disregard my PM, unless you have something to add to it.

I will have mine probably by Monday, such a long time away... Anyway, I'm sending mine to Vinnie, just wondering how long I should wait to ensure the device is functioning properly? I figure a little over a month should suffice. Opinions?

IMO, wait till you live and listen with the AK240 for 30+ hours, especially using the balanced out. You may find, like me and many others that it is the end game for now.

If your driving full size med or higher impedance HP or want a true line out then you might need the RW mod. I can't remember all that the RW does. I just know that it would add 25% more cost and void the factory warranty. And warrior, be prepared to be blown away.  Have you ever listened to a 240?

I know its been said many times before.......for longer battery life, make sure all the options are turned off when you are not using them. Bluetooth, WIFI, EQ (by all means play with the EQ to see if you prefer it on, I leave off) etc.

Nov 2, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #5,817 of 9,131
No, I've never heard one before, closest would be the AK120II. I'm definitely looking forward to it. I only use IEMS and I will be running them balanced as well.

I will definitely play with the eq, as I prefer it on when using the AK120II or ak100ii. I don't use wifi or Bluetooth, so that's good. I rarely have extended listening sessions, mine are usually under 2 hours, unless traveling. So I'm not obsessed with battery life, 6 hours is plenty for me.

I've yet to hear any of the newer AK's balanced, so I'm really looking forward to that.

Thanks Saraguie, I appreciate your advice. Monday of next week should be a fun day!!! I'm dying to hear my Ref 1 balanced out of the 240.

Next step, I need to buy some DSD...

Nov 2, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #5,818 of 9,131
I wish you the best in your Ak240 audition, you lucky dog!
For me, the AK240 would be hard to beat b/c I particularly like its unusual shape. It stands out from the crowd and could never be mistaken for something else. But then there is the cavalcade of daps coming out next summer and the upgrade to the 901 too. Let's see, there'll be the X7, the GeekWave XD128, a possible AK240 upgrade, not to mention the Chop Suey Fukushima model, can't forget that?!?!

I also got to hear the CalyxM at the meet and it is a very handsome unit with its copper colored body. It had great sound though I can't remember which phones were there for audition, I think they were one of the Audeze ones.

Nov 2, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #5,819 of 9,131
  I wish you the best in your Ak240 audition, you lucky dog!
For me, the AK240 would be hard to beat b/c I particularly like its unusual shape. It stands out from the crowd and could never be mistaken for something else. But then there is the cavalcade of daps coming out next summer and the upgrade to the 901 too. Let's see, there'll be the X7, the GeekWave XD128, a possible AK240 upgrade, not to mention the Chop Suey Fukushima model, can't forget that?!?!

I also got to hear the CalyxM at the meet and it is a very handsome unit with its copper colored body. It had great sound though I can't remember which phones were there for audition, I think they were one of the Audeze ones.

What about the the 7+ months until they are scheduled (which does not mean will) come out?  Life is too short for me to wait that long. Plus in electronics there is always the 'new' thing coming out soon. In 7 months there will be an announcement of the next new thing and on & on.  Life is too short eat dessert first :)

Nov 2, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #5,820 of 9,131
  What about the the 7+ months until they are scheduled (which does not mean will) come out?  Life is too short for me to wait that long. Plus in electronics there is always the 'new' thing coming out soon. In 7 months there will be an announcement of the next new thing and on & on.  Life is too short eat dessert first :)

Yes, very true, but at least I have my X5 to enjoy, and... I do. I will pretty soon have the K10 to use with it and I'm sure I'll be happy with the experience. I have no anxiety waiting for the other stuff to come out, so whatever happens, it will be interesting, that's all, no biggee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back