The absolute BEST amp for the LCD-3 (only vote if you have heard the mjolnir and at least one other amp, preferably most on the list)
Nov 9, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #106 of 187
  Right now I have a gungnir feeding a mjolnir and it sounds absolutely amazing, but I am thinking about adding a WA22 to my system. Has anyone used the preamp out XLR connections on the mjolnir to feed the WA22? I am wondering how this would sound. 

I'm not sure if its smart to doubly amplify like that, it will double the distortion i think.  Just get a XLR splitter and connect both amps to the source directly, thats what I do.

Nov 9, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #107 of 187
  I'm not sure if its smart to doubly amplify like that, it will double the distortion i think.  Just get a XLR splitter and connect both amps to the source directly, thats what I do.

Did you notice any signal degradation when you used the spiltter? It just seems like that would add noise / take away from the signal. 

Nov 9, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #108 of 187
I did not notice any. I used this one...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00534NQQ8/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nov 12, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #109 of 187
  Right now I have a gungnir feeding a mjolnir and it sounds absolutely amazing, but I am thinking about adding a WA22 to my system. Has anyone used the preamp out XLR connections on the mjolnir to feed the WA22? I am wondering how this would sound. 

Why do you want to add the Mjolnir into the chain this way?

I have the WA"2 and its sounds great with the LCD-3 :wink:

Nov 12, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #110 of 187
  I did not notice any. I used this one...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00534NQQ8/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use a Blue Jeans XLR-spliiter cable. Sounds great. They make whatever cable you want to. Great customer service, great prices, good quality. 

Nov 12, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #111 of 187

Why do you want to add the Mjolnir into the chain this way?

I have the WA"2 and its sounds great with the LCD-3 :wink:

I wanted to because I want to be able to switch between a solid state amp and a tube amp without having to change cables. 

Spillters always decrease signal quality so I was just thinking this was a bad idea for balanced amps. After doing some research post four on this forum agrees and explains the science. And the Mjolnir has balanced xlr output so i figured what the hell. 

Has anyone compared sound quality using XLR splitters vs standard XLR cables? 

Nov 12, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #112 of 187
  I wanted to because I want to be able to switch between a solid state amp and a tube amp without having to change cables. 

Spillters always decrease signal quality so I was just thinking this was a bad idea for balanced amps. After doing some research post four on this forum agrees and explains the science. And the Mjolnir has balanced xlr output so i figured what the hell. 

The Mjolnir will probably decrease the AQ more than a splitter cable. You can have any high quality cable makers tailor you a split cable, the won't degrade the sound at all :)

Nov 12, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #113 of 187

I didn't notice any decrement in sound quality using my splitter.  Connecting in series I bet will audibly decrease sq.  I also don't think its the case that splitter's always decrease signal quality, It probably depends on the output and input impedance of the respective devices.

Mar 26, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #114 of 187
Anyone pair an LCD-3 with the Auralic Taurus and can compare it to the Schiit Mjolnir or Bryston? Just looking for relative comparisons if you've got em.

I've ordered a LCD-3 and LCD-XC that are "coming soon".
I picked up a Pan Am Alo to mess around a bit with tubes, but I have a feeling that I will prefer the LCD-3 with SS. Everything I've read implies the Schiit Mjolnir and Bryston BHA-1 are both pretty good pairings for the LCD-3, but possibly a bit too harsh for the XC. I think the Ray Samuels DarkStar, Head Amp GS-X, and Bakoon HPA-21 all sound interesting, but all are probably outside my budget atm.

Mar 28, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #115 of 187
  Anyone pair an LCD-3 with the Auralic Taurus and can compare it to the Schiit Mjolnir or Bryston? Just looking for relative comparisons if you've got em.

I've ordered a LCD-3 and LCD-XC that are "coming soon".
I picked up a Pan Am Alo to mess around a bit with tubes, but I have a feeling that I will prefer the LCD-3 with SS. Everything I've read implies the Schiit Mjolnir and Bryston BHA-1 are both pretty good pairings for the LCD-3, but possibly a bit too harsh for the XC. I think the Ray Samuels DarkStar, Head Amp GS-X, and Bakoon HPA-21 all sound interesting, but all are probably outside my budget atm.

Yup. I find the Taurus to better the Mjo especially in image depth - and it has richer highs, slightly more punch. It just feels more precise. The Mjolnir is very good with the LCD-3 but the Taurus is just better when compared side by side. 

Apr 2, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #120 of 187
Apex Pinnacle > EAR HP4 > Mjolnir > ECBA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back