Testing audiophile claims and myths
Jan 2, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #14,851 of 17,336
"This had better be good" sounds every bit like an expectation against something sounding better than whatever you already have.

Regardless,

No, not at all. I hope it's good since I'd have spent a lot of money on it but at the same time know that it could be terrible, great, or anywhere in between.

Jan 2, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #14,852 of 17,336
Finish the sentence... This had better be good
...or I've wasted my money!

There is definitely a preferred outcome there.

It doesn't matter anyway because there isn't a human being on Earth that is free of bias. It's how we make decisions. We can minimize bias by adding controls, like a blind test, but for some strange reason the people believe they have no bias are the same people who "don't believe" in controlled testing. We all know that is because deep down they know they are fallible, they just don't want to prove it to themselves.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #14,853 of 17,336
What's up with your avatar bigshot?
You used to have the Mickey Mouse for years and now you change it like socks... :thinking:

Jan 2, 2022 at 11:57 PM Post #14,854 of 17,336
Finish the sentence... This had better be good
...or I've wasted my money!

There is definitely a preferred outcome there.

It doesn't matter anyway because there isn't a human being on Earth that is free of bias. It's how we make decisions. We can minimize bias by adding controls, like a blind test, but for some strange reason the people believe they have no bias are the same people who "don't believe" in controlled testing. We all know that is because deep down they know they are fallible, they just don't want to prove it to themselves.

Don't put words in my mouth. The rest of the sentence would be "...or I'll return/sell it". Also I believe in controlled testing so there goes your theory.

Jan 3, 2022 at 12:05 AM Post #14,855 of 17,336
Don't put words in my mouth. The rest of the sentence would be "...or I'll return/sell it". Also I believe in controlled testing so there goes your theory.
so why bother about what happens in uncontrolled testing at all and this ongoing argument about that?

As we all know (and kept trying to point out), "I expected this to be worse not better" (or the other way round, or "I didn't expect anything") is not a get-out-of-jail card for uncontrolled testing.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 3, 2022 at 12:17 AM Post #14,856 of 17,336
@PointyFox it's a different sort of expectation bias, but it still very clearly is one. And there is nothing strange about it unless you're a space lizard. If I put in more money than is usual, I obviously expect a product that will be better made. Ease of use, form factor, UI, sound, some or all of those things should be improved if more money was put into making it. That is our expectation.
I would never judge a 50$ device the way I judge the 1500$ counterpart. If they were the same products, I would most likely say good things about the 50$ one, and crap all over the 'expensive for no reason' device. It's not the bias where we paid a lot so we dream up qualities that don't exist, but it's a bias still. If I was able to judge things objectively while focusing on signal fidelity, I would be able to say the same about the 2 devices. When it comes to making personal decisions, I'm not able and not willing to.
But of course we both understand that if the question we want answered was "can I tell them apart by ear?" then we need the tools that remove/mitigate our biases. I don't think there is a conflict here. Different tools for different jobs.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2022 at 12:46 AM Post #14,857 of 17,336
If I put in more money than is usual, I obviously expect a product that will be better made. Ease of use, form factor, UI, sound, some or all of those things should be improved if more money was put into making it. That is our expectation.
Not mine. Some of the things I've liked the least I've paid the most for. Expecting everyone to think the same as you is expectation bias.

Jan 3, 2022 at 2:31 AM Post #14,858 of 17,336
Not mine. Some of the things I've liked the least I've paid the most for. Expecting everyone to think the same as you is expectation bias.
What's the pount of expounding your lack of expectation bias if sighted tests are just as flawed either way?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jan 3, 2022 at 2:32 AM Post #14,859 of 17,336
What's up with your avatar bigshot?

I love monkeys. I wish I had a monkey. Sometimes we have monkeys here in Sound Science!

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #14,861 of 17,336
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #14,862 of 17,336
Reread the preceeding posts.
Against my better judgement, I did, and it just reinforces my feeling of what a great dumpster fire this is turning into

:)

--I think you and I agree on more things than any two typical head-fi members, I just can't see where this going or why, at all

🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

Jan 3, 2022 at 3:14 AM Post #14,863 of 17,336
Weenie roast!

Honestly, you have to admit you saw this coming from his first post. Anytime someone declares that they have a special ability that no human has, you can bet they are going to stick to their guns. You aren't going to be able to convince him he doesn't have this magical ability to bypass bias using logic. It's an illogical claim to start with.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #14,864 of 17,336
You are constantly challenging perception of science by the common public.

In a cartoon form, it could perhaps be expressed as the famous "reaching the limits" from Simpsons counterargued by Einstein's only certain infinity intrinsic to humanity :)

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #14,865 of 17,336
Never forget the contribution of simians to science!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back