Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Jun 2, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #2,146 of 2,336
Rodtips :wink:

Yep I did hear the Magnum gimbals were fitted a lot tighter in the rodblocks, and felt less flimsy overall. I think it's awesome and for the better. It's step towards the build quality of the older Grados, like vintage RS1 and HP1000, which both had great gimbal rod tight fit.

I asked him if he could also anodize in black my MS2i cups, it would be so sweet, but since I've never seen that mod, before I don't think he'll be offering such a service to me, probably because the black wouldn't match together, or the MS2i cups are already anodized and not reactive to further anodizing.

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #2,148 of 2,336
AAAAARRRGH!

So awesome! lol, I want one so badly!!

To the trained eye it doesn't look stock at all :p

Am I the only one who never saw it coming? Symphones Magnum's ending? Never saw any warning and I'm checking periodically (very often) in the "Grado modders go Magnum" thread and this one.

Jun 2, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #2,149 of 2,336
Calm down I am sure Rhydon will help you out, he is in business to make money after all.

"Will Symphones make a replaceable cabled version of the Magnum upgrade?"

Rhydon was able to do it for me. I just had to send him the cables and the xlr connectors. He will not machine your cups though so if you want surface mounted connectors you will need to do it yourself.

"In my opinion, Magnum325 is also better than a pair of Magnum drivers in a wooden body."

I have to disagree with this. My favorite pair of Magnums are these:

V4, second batch of grey drivers in maple cups (LCD-2 original headband). These really came into their own after 300 hours, so be patient with burnin.

The other two pairs I have are the V4 black drivers in Limba cups with Headphonelounge headband, Marty's gimbals and rodblocks, and V3.5 drivers in maple with DIY rod blocks and the J$ headband, both of these have surface mounted mini xlr connectors for easy cable swapping.

Jun 2, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #2,150 of 2,336
^^ Please leave your Frankenstein magnums in the other modder thread thanks. Let's keep this thread to the pure and proper magnum.

Just kidding. :D

I've always wanted to buy a LCD2 leather headband for my magnum

Jun 2, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #2,152 of 2,336
I just picked up my Magnum v4 a few days ago from a local head-fi member. It has the earlier light grey version of the v4 driver. The metal inserts and gimbals do add a bit of weight to the headphones. Mine came with the headphone lounge leather headband. It helps with the weight a fair bit. I highly recommend this headband. Overall, I am fairly impressed with the Magnum v4 driver. Sonically they are quite different from the traditional grado house sound. It is too bad these will be discontinued soon.

Jun 3, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #2,153 of 2,336
Damn, and I was going to ask him for another set of drivers as spares. 

Jun 3, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #2,155 of 2,336
Quote:
true, but i hope for a new model with more comfort and the amazing sonic signature of symphones house!!!

A model of what? A driver, or a complete new aluminum headphone, like the Rudistor Chroma MD1?

It is too bad these will be discontinued soon.

I hope that's it's only a rumor. The Magnum still looks popular enough to me to keep them alive.

Jun 3, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #2,156 of 2,336
Quote:

A model of what? A driver, or a complete new aluminum headphone, like the Rudistor Chroma MD1?

I hope that's it's only a rumor. The Magnum still looks popular enough to me to keep them alive.

i hope a new model.
for me, the magnum 4.0 is fantastic but the grado comfort is not for my ears.
and believe me: the chroma is not at the level of the symphones sound but is very light and confortable

Jun 3, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #2,158 of 2,336
I'd never heard about this Chroma, I googled and I guess they're out of production. What are they? They look like remarkable Grado knock-offs.

Edit: I just found a ball-park price, knock-off seems like the wrong word.

Jun 3, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #2,159 of 2,336
I’m messing around with pads now. While I do like the comfort and sound of flats, sometimes I want a bit wider soundstage and greater separation between instruments. So I’m trying out bowls again and I think I may need to think about using them much more often, even if it means a little more discomfort.

they really do open up the stage a bit. naturally, it’s not huge and wide like the GS1000 or HD800 but it feels less claustrophobic than the flat pads for classical or other live recordings.

It also drops the thickness in the mid bass by a huge margin. On some tracks, that thick midrange you get with the flats is very seductive and enjoyable. In other songs, it gets in the way and I prefer the sound of bowls.

So I feel like I may be switching pads little more often depending on what I’m listening to. I’ll probably stick with flats more often than bowls, since only around a third of my music really benefits from the wider soundstage and thinner sound of bowls but I have a better idea how the magnums react to the changes.

I also have some old 414 pads that came with the used 325s that I bought but I’m not using them. they’re comfortable than the bowls but I find that they don’t increase soundstage enough over the flats to be worth swapping out. the bowls are a big enough difference in soundstage that it’s worth the effort.

I’m still loving these magnums. I also just received an HP1000 HP-1 on Friday and the magnums stack up very well to the old legend. They’re a little more harsh than the HP1 but they have more in common with the HP1 than they do with what I remember the RS1 sounding like. (I wish I still had the RS1 in the house to compare with) 

Jun 4, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #2,160 of 2,336
Speaking of rod blocks, mine seem to have fallen off, and while i did my best to save the one (this happened while on vacation) it was eventually lost, and I have no idea when the other one fell off/it's whereabouts.

Do any of you have any good ideas for aftermarket rod blocks, or am I stuck emailing Rhydon about replacement tips?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back