Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Jan 27, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #1,967 of 2,336

Quote:
they need about 297 more hours of burn in :p

Quote:
if anything unburned magnums tend to have too much bass. a little overbearing, so if you are having too little with no burn in it will likely get worse for you as the bass seems to dim down more over time........just my experience of course. not a set in stone documented fact

Actually I find that with the same setup with either [ipod>LOD>cmoybb2.03] and [clip+>cmoybb2.03], the Magnum v4 drivers distorts faster and easier than my MS1000 (MS1 drivers) headphones, the cmoybb is at 4 gain too when I purchased it at JDSLabs.

Does this suggest the magnum drivers are more sensitive?  Or my inexperience starting to show?

EDIT: I do agree that they don't have the mid forwardness of the standard drivers and I do like the presentation, always have since I've always liked the scooped mid sound from my guitars.

Jan 27, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #1,968 of 2,336
They're not light on bass, and revealing is a good thing in my opinion

That would depend on your music. I'm a bad audiophile, 90% of my music is either brickwalled, lo-fi, or recording on really low end stuff. Revealing headphones are very very fatiguing for me, at least until I put on the other 10% of my library, then I'm amazed at how much detail and energy I'm getting out of my headphones.

Jan 27, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #1,970 of 2,336

Maybe you should try the Sennheiser HD650. They play nice with low grade recording all with a good level of detail but not in your face presentation. 
Quote:
That would depend on your music. I'm a bad audiophile, 90% of my music is either brickwalled, lo-fi, or recording on really low end stuff. Revealing headphones are very very fatiguing for me, at least until I put on the other 10% of my library, then I'm amazed at how much detail and energy I'm getting out of my headphones.

Jan 27, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #1,971 of 2,336
extremely revealing, but they play well with rough recordings too. 
Maybe you should try the Sennheiser HD650. They play nice with low grade recording all with a good level of detail but not in your face presentation. 

I'm a bit confused, but how can it be revealing and play nice with rougher recordings?

I tried the Sennheiser 598s which are said to be more engaging that the 650s and I found them too boring. I think the key is finding something forward and smooth sounding, not something dark.
Anyway, I'm keeping my magnum order for now, I doubt I'll have a problem selling them if I don't like them, I still probably have a few month wait with Marty anyway so I have time to decide.

Jan 27, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #1,973 of 2,336

Quote:
I let my roommate listen to my woodied Magnums yesterday. He says they have no bass and that he likes the bass on his skullcrushers better.... I have too much pride in my Magnums to take offense from that, but I really really wanted to cut him down with some mean joke about his headphones.

It's all okay though because I don't mind being in my own little world with these beauties 

I think the ones using Skullcandy and Beats by Dr.Dre headphones are the ones living in their world thinking overly present bass is the way to go. They are blinded by those big booms of air and they are not allowed to appreciate details and subtleties and texture of (say) a lush sounding splash cymbal. Plus having so much bass drives the tympanum like crazy, and I believe that's what make a headphone fatiguing when listening to moderate levels for longer.

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #1,974 of 2,336
it reveals how terrible the recording is, but doesn't throw it in your face with sibilance. 

hmm, still has me a little worried. I know we went through this a few weeks ago, but I'm really starting to get a feeling the magnums may not be for me. Would you still be able to recommend them to someone who listens to mostly poor recordings? After trying out the Ultrasone PRO2900 and finding me $50 portables much more enjoyable to listen to I'm starting to think that going too high end will just ruin music for me.
Chris, I know you've heard both, because I sold mine to you, how do the magnums compare to the SR-80i? I know the magnums will be on a whole nother level quality wise, so I mean quantity wise.

I hope I'm making some sense, and not derailing the thread too much, just don't want to make another mistake. Since selling my SR-80s I haven't been able to find anything I like better besides my portables.

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #1,975 of 2,336

Quote:
I let my roommate listen to my woodied Magnums yesterday. He says they have no bass and that he likes the bass on his skullcrushers better.... I have too much pride in my Magnums to take offense from that, but I really really wanted to cut him down with some mean joke about his headphones.

It's all okay though because I don't mind being in my own little world with these beauties 

I think the ones using Skullcandy and Beats by Dr.Dre headphones are the ones living in their world thinking overly present bass is the way to go. They are blinded by those big booms of air and they are not allowed to appreciate details and subtleties and texture of (say) a lush sounding splash cymbal. Plus having so much bass drives the tympanum like crazy, and I believe that's what make a headphone fatiguing when listening to moderate levels for longer.

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #1,976 of 2,336

Quote:
more like a grado senn crossover really.. much less veiled than the senns though, and faster.. and less crazy harsh like a grado.. It's really the perfect sound in my opinion. 

That's the best of both world!

Chrislangley4253 I have seen your post in the classifieds section and I thought you were only selling the magnum inners and SR325is outers as a combo. Actually I do want the SR325is shell a lot, because I might have obscure plans for the HP1000 drivers of my SR100... but that's light years ahead of my thinking and I still haven't measured the extent of the pros and the cons of doing this to a such a rare piece of Grado history. My ultimate goal would be to recreate a "pseudo-Grado HP-2" in glorious metal using a modern SR325is shell. But as of now, I am in NO WAY qualified to do such a delicate manipulation (well not that delicate but,... "crucial"?), with such costly pieces of hardware (two HP1000 drivers, dang). Do I want to do it? Not exactly, (I don't know!), I barely had the time to listen to the HP1000SR100 and I don't have the pads I would like to try them on with. My L-bowls aren't rigid enough (I would need to stretch the SR100 metal rod headband, which has already the perfect fit for my head) and are loosing foam particles, there's no way I let any of these particles get inside of ear-side air chamber (eventually buying a new L-bowl will solve this issue but I have money problems)(I also really want G-cushes, :p).

Can I do it? No. And that makes up for 1.75 negative answers out of 2.

So that's why I'm hesitating a lot on sending you 80$ (great price!) straight away, and because I'm really, really, really poor right now. (if I had the money things would be obviously simpler, but like I said I'm a student and I don't think I could obtain decent grades with a job in parallel).

Jan 27, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #1,977 of 2,336

Quote:
hmm, still has me a little worried. I know we went through this a few weeks ago, but I'm really starting to get a feeling the magnums may not be for me. Would you still be able to recommend them to someone who listens to mostly poor recordings? After trying out the Ultrasone PRO2900 and finding me $50 portables much more enjoyable to listen to I'm starting to think that going too high end will just ruin music for me.
Chris, I know you've heard both, because I sold mine to you, how do the magnums compare to the SR-80i? I know the magnums will be on a whole nother level quality wise, so I mean quantity wise.
I hope I'm making some sense, and not derailing the thread too much, just don't want to make another mistake. Since selling my SR-80s I haven't been able to find anything I like better besides my portables.

well, you could upload an album for me on media fire. I'll download it and tell you how I think it sounds on the two. I don't want you to waste time on the magnums if you aren't going to like them.   

Quote:
That's the best of both world!

Chrislangley4253 I have seen your post in the classifieds section and I thought you were only selling the magnum inners and SR325is outers as a combo. Actually I do want the SR325is shell a lot, because I might have obscure plans for the HP1000 drivers of my SR100... but that's light years ahead of my thinking and I still haven't measured the extent of the pros and the cons of doing this to a such a rare piece of Grado history. My ultimate goal would be to recreate a "pseudo-Grado HP-2" in glorious metal using a modern SR325is shell. But as of now, I am in NO WAY qualified to do such a delicate manipulation (well not that delicate but,... "crucial"?), with such costly pieces of hardware (two HP1000 drivers, dang). Do I want to do it? Not exactly, (I don't know!), I barely had the time to listen to the HP1000SR100 and I don't have the pads I would like to try them on with. My L-bowls aren't rigid enough (I would need to stretch the SR100 metal rod headband, which has already the perfect fit for my head) and are loosing foam particles, there's no way I let any of these particles get inside of ear-side air chamber (eventually buying a new L-bowl will solve this issue but I have money problems)(I also really want G-cushes, :p).

Can I do it? No. And that makes up for 1.75 negative answers out of 2.

So that's why I'm hesitating a lot on sending you 80$ (great price!) straight away, and because I'm really, really, really poor right now. (if I had the money things would be obviously simpler, but like I said I'm a student and I don't think I could obtain decent grades with a job in parallel).

I am selling just the outer now, found something to do with the inner. If you want it, you need to make an offer, NOW. lots of interest on it. It will be gone in a day or two for sure. 

Jan 27, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #1,978 of 2,336

Quote:
if anything unburned magnums tend to have too much bass. a little overbearing, so if you are having too little with no burn in it will likely get worse for you as the bass seems to dim down more over time........just my experience of course. not a set in stone documented fact

I can agree with this statement 1,000%, to my ears they went from bass heavy(and it def. dies down...although I must say it stays controlled the entire time IE is never "boomy"), to "nearing" the SR325 shrillness/ear piercing highs (albeit for only a few hours) then the highs die down as the bass did, and the mids begin to blossom...and all your worries mellow out as you realize you've been brought on a rollercoaster ride through the burn in  process and are left with beautiful music that you're "hearing" for the first time.

again, i'll revisit the "keep in mind this is all subjective" realm.  Sound could be compared to pain.  There's no good chart/threshold to judge everyone by.  (just one bad analogy I chose from the many available)

Jan 28, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #1,979 of 2,336
Hey guys I have a question:

How is Rhydon's business doing? And yes I'm talking about Symphones.

When it all started (or at least when I have read on the forums the first threads about it, including this one), this seemed to me like a temporary project, or some kind of test Rhydon was doing, I don't want to say for fun, but the thing sure evolved a lot and constantly at that. He keeps innovating and perfecting his product (he went over many versions of his driver more than Grado themselves do and metal gimbals is really hardcore and professional worthy I find). At first he took orders and used to make headphones as a batch but what about now? Can we just call him, send in out pair, how long does it takes? And is the world responding well to the Magnums, or he solely receives orders from Head-fiers? He seldom posts on Head-fi so does that means he is busy working in the Magnum factory? Even if the world runs out of SR325 and MS2 to transform, he has told us that he could do it with basically any Grado model, which means that any Grado owner could potentially become a Magnum owner also, and with the Full and Partial (just the inners and the drivers) Magnum optimization, he can accommodate even more people. 

Has Symphones really launched it's flight? Are they getting bigger? The website really never was updated since it's overture and it seems like the Head-fi special rebate still applies.

Jan 28, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #1,980 of 2,336

Quote:
Hey guys I have a question:

How is Rhydon's business doing? And yes I'm talking about Symphones.

When it all started (or at least when I have read on the forums the first threads about it, including this one), this seemed to me like a temporary project, or some kind of test Rhydon was doing, I don't want to say for fun, but the thing sure evolved a lot and constantly at that. He keeps innovating and perfecting his product (he went over many versions of his driver more than Grado themselves do and metal gimbals is really hardcore and professional worthy I find). At first he took orders and used to make headphones as a batch but what about now? Can we just call him, send in out pair, how long does it takes? And is the world responding well to the Magnums, or he solely receives orders from Head-fiers? He seldom posts on Head-fi so does that means he is busy working in the Magnum factory? Even if the world runs out of SR325 and MS2 to transform, he has told us that he could do it with basically any Grado model, which means that any Grado owner could potentially become a Magnum owner also, and with the Full and Partial (just the inners and the drivers) Magnum optimization, he can accommodate even more people. 

Has Symphones really launched it's flight? Are they getting bigger? The website really never was updated since it's overture and it seems like the Head-fi special rebate still applies.

rhydon is of few words but he is a good person and technically capable.
the audiophiles spent lot of money and the magnum should be taken into account more, like the audeze or much more
IMHO of course

Users who are viewing this thread

Back