Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Oct 4, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #1,546 of 2,336
Yeah ... sure ... I don't like Grados.

But I love youz guyz!  All but LLFs are shipped back out.

I've got Luis stuff hostage until I hear his T50RPs.

Cheers, bouyz!

Oct 4, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #1,547 of 2,336
Quote:
Yeah ... sure ... I don't like Grados.

But I love youz guyz!  All but LLFs are shipped back out.

Hey, you said so yourself in the article.
wink.gif

"maybe it's my dislike in general for Grado cans"

Regardless...we love you back Tyll!

BTW...nice to see two cans reunited after such a long time. No.1-off and No. 69!

Quote:
I've got Luis stuff hostage until I hear his T50RPs.

eek.gif
Oh noes!

Oct 4, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #1,548 of 2,336

Quote:
Never thought you would be part of a threesome with me!
tongue_smile.gif

Who needs context when you have grados?
biggrin.gif

Oct 4, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #1,549 of 2,336
I actually rarely loan out my headphones (except to a select few members here who I am familiar with and I respect their opinion) but I was planning on sending them to a couple head-fi members in Cali but I figured it could make a slight detour as Tyll is quite respected here and unlikely to do anything to them. I got some measurements and he got to try them although it's too bad he didn't like them too much.

Actually I can see Grados in general as a love/hate thing and we all have different preferences although my Magnums are not #1 in my book in terms of preference and that belongs to my DT880 although I do have a HE-4 coming on Saturday trying to challenge them for that position :)

Oct 4, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #1,550 of 2,336
It's a pity the Magnums were only the drivers. A big part of the mod is the metalwork.

Oct 4, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #1,551 of 2,336
If I save up enough I may buy a used Grado and send them in for a v4 but I think I'll need quite a bit of saving and patience.

Oct 10, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #1,553 of 2,336
Preparations for Symphones Magnum V4  completed. I am going to test the V4 Magnums with their aluminum air chamber in the Blackheart outer shells making it a sort of reversed PS1000 hybrid. In addition the Symphones drivers will also be installed in all-wood housings (spalted beech and/or olive). As soon as the drivers show up, I will be reporting back as to how the whole lot sounds.

(Tasmanian Blackheart Sassafras)

(Spalted Beech)

(Olive)

Oct 10, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #1,554 of 2,336
^The olive ones look gorgeous.

Oct 12, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #1,555 of 2,336
Magnum v2.5's measured (or in process of being measured).

http://www.head-fi.org/t/566929/headphone-csd-waterfall-plots/360#post_7818653

THE MAGNUM DRIVER IS DEFINITELY NOT SNAKE OIL OR BS

Oct 13, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #1,556 of 2,336
Glad the magnums aren't snake oil 
wink.gif
  I still think the magnum V1s are the best overall sounding magnums but imo they are also the brightest sounding magnums.  In v2 and v2.5, the brightness/treble was toned down and the bass became a little flabby.  I also sense that there was a lost of speed as well.  Then, v3 came out and the bass was improved along with the increase in treble over the v2.5.  The v3 & v1's bass reproduction was the best I've heard in the magnum line.  Finally v3.5 came out sounding very similar to v3.  It seems to have a little more body & weight but with a tiny bit less treble and bass definition compared to the v3.

Oct 13, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #1,558 of 2,336

Quote:
X1!!!
very good headphone
i´m wait for the 4.0...never arrive....

I was told they'd SHIP OUT mid October, I suspect yours might be in the same batch.

Oct 13, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #1,560 of 2,336

Quote:
Never thought you would be part of a threesome with me!
tongue_smile.gif

I honestly got the impression that Tyll doesn't like Grados. LOL! I don't think he really loved any of them including mine. I think a lot of experienced headphone users end up in the same position as Tyll and I count myself in that number. I haven't touched my Grados in months. I hadn't touched that mod'd one until I contacted Tyll about it. I keep them around to take to meets and for collectors sake but I don't listen to them much. Years ago, that mod'd Grado can was among my very favorites.

I think I can understand this "Grado-graduate" thing since my primary headphone before the LCD2 was the limited edition HF2 after all which barely gets any air time nowadays for various reasons. 

I haven't heard the Symphones but if I were to pick one Grado and one Grado only one of these days, it will be the RS1i because I find it's the perfect embodiment of Grado sound minus the harshness of the other models. Of course an audition with the Symphones might change my mind. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back